Thread: Zastava 338-06 semi custom build ?'s

Default Zastava 338-06 semi custom build ?'s

Was wondering if any of you guys that have had a few rifles put together could give some advice.

I'v got a Zastava action I wanted to turn into a 338-06. I bought a Adams and Bennet barrel and was wondering about the quality (you get what you pay for). I would like it turned down to take off some weight and cut down a few inches. I was thinking it may just be a better option to sell the A&B and ship the action to Pac Nor for one of their barrels installed with the right contour and length that I want. Looks like they'd do it for $560 and that includes truing the action face, lapping the lugs, and truing the bolt face.

Pac nor Claims to have a 8 to 10 week turn around and I've heard that some of the local smiths have taken years to complete some jobs. What are you guy's experience with the local smiths? I'll keep it local if i can get good service with a reasonable turn around time.

Any have experience with a Adams and Bennet Barrel?

Is $560 a decent price for a barrelling job with the services that I mentioned included?

Any one have experience with Pac Nor?

I have been down the same road you're on. I built a rifle with the Zastava action and Adams & Bennet barrel about three years ago. It is in .358 Norma mag. I bought the .35 Whelen short chambered barrel and chambered it with the Norma reamer. We did all the regular stuff; trued the action, lapped the lugs, full Devcon bedding.

The first five shots out of the gun were a .75" group, and it consistently shoots everything less than 1.5". I live about 40 miles from Douglas barrels and looked into them first. When I talked to them they tried to convince me that the A&B barrels were junk and wouldn't shoot. I guess they have to say that when theirs cost nearly 4 times as much. But like I said, mine shoots superbly. It does seem like it fouls a little more than normal, but accuracy has not been affected yet.

I couldn't be happier with the overall package. I'll likely build another one someday.

Any one have experience with Pac Nor?
    We buy a good number of Pac Nor barrels and they universally are excellent

ditto. I have a PAC nor on a 300hh ackley - it shoots fantastic.

Some guys here use an out of state gunsmith with good results. Check with Dan in Alaska about his latest rifle. I've been happy with Stan Jackson and the last time he did a rebarrel for me it was completed in about 10 days. But I waited about 10 weeks to get the Lilja barrel first.
    Pac Nor Barrels are pretty good, my Searcy 450 NE is built with them and so far so good.
    Tennessee

If your getting rid of the A&B barrel what do you want for it? My 358 Norma and 338-06 AI both wear A&B barrels and will consistently shoot 1/2" to 3/4 inch groups. I would gladly by 10 more A&B barrels, as far as I am concerned they are a heck of a good deal for as well as they shoot. $560 seems really steep for a rebarrel job. My local smith did both my rebarrels for $180 each, and that included the cost of the barrel.
    LIVE TO HUNT....HUNT TO LIVE!!!!

I bought a used LH Win 70 in 270 Win it had a Pac-Nor barrel it did not shoot well, I contacted Pac-Nor they rebarreled it in 9.3 X 62 for shipping costs. Kinda tough to argue with that kind of service! 9.3 is very accurate and not fussy!

I've a .338-06 Win M70 with a PacNor supermatch bbl.......shooting 215 Gamekings that print cloverleafs @100yds! used them bullets to break the barrel in which did not take long with that barrel from PacNor.

I have several A&B barrels and they all work well. My 243 is the most accurate rifle I have-- however--- I have always used the unchambered barrels. I think I can put a chamber in truer than the factory. JMO. Best of luck. J.