Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Boat parked in a marina?

Default Boat parked in a marina?

hi all,,,,i know quite a few of you have your boats in marinas....i was wondering if you can share your top 2-3 tips of marina life?.....the plan is for the new boat to be parked in a marina(not sure which one yet?) for the months of march/april of next year!....this will give us a chance to put some hours on it etc......my fear is learning to park the beast in the slip.....i am going in green, so should be fun???......

so far this marina in seattle is in the top 5.....it is in fresh water with water acces to lake washington and puget soound!..in may--when the glaciers have started to melt-- we would trailer the boat and drive up to canada and home!

salmonbaymarina.com

thanks for any help! larry

29' Wooldridge Pilot House, Twin 200 Hp Etecs! "...Pez Gordo..."
    18' Wooldridge Sport with 200 hp sport jet. "...Little Pez..."

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    hi all,,,,i know quite a few of you have your boats in marinas....i was wondering if you can share your top 2-3 tips of marina life?.....the plan is for the new boat to be parked in a marina(not sure which one yet?) for the months of march/april of next year!....this will give us a chance to put some hours on it etc......my fear is learning to park the beast in the slip.....i am going in green, so should be fun???......

so far this marina in seattle is in the top 5.....it is in fresh water with water acces to lake washington and puget soound!..in may--when the glaciers have started to melt-- we would trailer the boat and drive up to canada and home!

salmonbaymarina.com

thanks for any help! larry

Hey Larry the only advice i have is try to avoid an audience by practicing during off hours, and try to practice alone or w/ just one other person there. In other words don't use the launch or go to the fuel dock during prime time to avoid gawkers. Thats what screws me up is when people are watching if I'm unsure of what I'm doing. Good luck!

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey Larry the only advice i have is try to avoid an audience by practicing during off hours, and try to practice alone or w/ just one other person there. In other words don't use the launch or go to the fuel dock during prime time to avoid gawkers. Thats what screws me up is when people are watching if I'm unsure of what I'm doing. Good luck!

thanks fullbush!...(have wanted to ask you about your forum name, but was afraid to ask).......anyway, yes, when i moved up to the 18 foot(outboard jet) i have now( 4 years ago), i went to a local lake and was the only one there--perfect!!....10 hours later, it felt good!....it was the first time i ever launched a boat with a trailer , too!....and it was my first boat with a stearing wheel!!......i dont know if i will get the chance like that this time?......thanks larry

I spend a ton of time boating on Lake Washington, but I haven't gone through the locks. If you are planning on transiting to the salt regularly, I would find out how much of a hassle it is from a regular user. The salmon bay marina is about a 25 minute trip to lake Washington. All of Lake Union and Potage bay is a no wake zone with a MAX speed limit of 7mph. Seattle PD has a full time harbor patrol unit and there are tons of houseboats and paddlers/crew boats out, so you need to follow the rules. Getting places on the lake tends to take a bit longer than you would think. There are TONS of great restaurants on both lakes, many of which have private docks and great happy hours.

We should get a group of alloy boat owners together for a tie up on the lake when you are down here. There are a couple of Coastal Crafts, Eagle Crafts, A really nice Moose, and an Aerohead moored on the lake. You can store the boat in a drystack for $345 a month and they will have the boat in the water waiting for you with just a text message. There are two bays you can anchor in overnight and the Kirkland Marina always has slips available on a first come first served basis. You can stay for a max of 5 days, leave for 2, and come back for under $20 a night.

I have no practical experience leaving a boat moored, but docking with twins really is not that difficult. The further you have the motors mounted apart, the more control you will have around the dock. Do a you tube search on docking with twin outboards. Make sure your insurance is paid up and get out there and practice. I have been told that gel coat wipes off alloy hulls without much effort.
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Quote Originally Posted by spoiled one View Post
    I have been told that gel coat wipes off alloy hulls without much effort.
    the fiberglass dust really does wipe off aluminum nicely to reveal all the golf ball sized dents,

Larry,

I will second what Fullbush said about finding a private place to practice. Here is where I went when I got my boat:

http://maps.google.com/?ie=UTF8&ll=4...16276&t=h&z=17

It is a floating dock up by La Conner / Deception Pass in a state park. I never saw another boat using it, but I used it from February to May. I praticed all of the different ways to dock; wind onto the dock, wind off of the dock, etc. I also agree with the comment about time through the locks. I was going to go through there once, and I did not due to timing. Also, I have not been through there, but if you are worried about docking, I would worry about transitioning through the locks with the water going up and down, other boats, etc.

I would put it somewhere in the salt and just pay them to pull it and drydock it for you. La Conner is a nice little marina. The only downsides is that you have a mile or so of no wake to get to the open channel, but this is nice for warm up and cool down of the motors. The place I delat with is La Conner Maritime. I am sure there are plenty of other marinas in the Seattle area that will do this. Now if we could just get someone to offer that service in Whittier Alaska!
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

thanks guys for all the suggestions!....i DO want a place that i can be alone for sure!/...what i have to do is make up my mind if i am driving down in the winter with the truck and trailer, or get some one to deliver it to a marina?....i still have time tho!....also, the more i look into the area around seatlle it is SO busy, so may be looking further out??,,,,,and i am having a heck of time finding a place that i can reserve a spot months in advance!!!...but, i will keep looking!.......Jim, i will be send you am email soon!..thanks again guys!

If it's not windy, you can just toss a buoy in the water and play. That can include how well your boat twists or reacts otherwise with twins. As you know, I don't have twins on mine, but while in the CG, I first learned small boat handling with twins. My teacher told me to begin using just one motor for docking. He didn't recommend clutchin both motors in/out, and it was sound advise. Just pick the single that is off center on the side you want for the bow push/pull you want. This is where you can play around a buoy on an open lake.

My apologies if you didn't need this tidbit, but your comment about going into this green made me share this to prevent some frustration. In the beginning you'll be thinking about all kinds of things while you dock, and to add many more variables with twin motor options........well, that'll come with helm time.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    My apologies if you didn't need this tidbit, .
    hi HK, no need to ever apologize!!!..i can use all the help i can get..that is why i like this forum!.....you know, in the last 3 years, i have built up a nice library of boating books plus a "nice collection of fishing bboks......BUT, nothing like throwing a line out to you guys for varification, and reeling in some real treasures!!.........yes, about the twins and the further apart the better, for turning etc,,,,also wondered what it would be like with the etecs on the outside and the yammi kicker in the middle/...i suppose if you had to run on one engine, the boat would be tilted???.......no idea,,,,,maybe a trim tab full down on the other side to compsate?....not sure,,...,larry

Default Quick tip...

Here is a quick tip off the top of my head; With a single: If the dock you want to touch is on your port side, put your bow almost into it, spin your steering wheel until your prop is pointed at that same dock also. Put it in reverse, it will drag your aft end to the dock, you just parallel parked!

When you are squared up to go forward into the slip you can compensate for the wind and current that might be pushing you around with this little trick. It will bring it tight against the dock if the wind is blowing you away from it if someone gets a line off the bow to a dock cleat before it blows completely off angle.

hi again,,,,well, one second thought, since the boat is on the trailer and i am driving anyway, why not just keep going a bit and get back into canada?.....this is a nice lake to learn, and it does get some big swells, too! ......"if" something is not right with the boat, i cn bring it back to seattle!

http://www.killerscove.com/index.htm

prices are good and they have everything...i can put it in a slip for for 2 months with power,,,then bring her up back home in may!.. the lake is about 45 miles long in a glacier fiord....dolly varden and rainbows to eat!....larry

ps. thanks myers for the tip, will be sure to try that out!!

Boat and Condo are in Seward, but I live in Centreville, VA most of the year

I moved up from a 21' to a 30' two years ago and know how you feel. What I always have to remember to tell my crew (wife and kids) is don't worry about the pier, and don't worry about our boat, worry about that plastic boat next to us. My hull is 1/4" aluminum plate and is very forgiving of my mistakes. Sea stories aside, check your local ship's store. There are some good books out there on small boat handling. Your twins should make it easier than with a single. Good luck.

NeverLand, your comment made me smile cause you are right. There are conditions that twisting with twins does make close quarters manuevering easier. For a while the slip I was using in the harbor was a port side moorage, which in this case meant while I was turning to port, I had to check my momentum and actually create momentum in the opposite direction. Almost like a U-turn. Throw some wind into the equation that fought my turning to port, and I inevitably had to carry a little more speed than preferred and use short motor burst to move the stern. A couple of times while doing this I've mentioned to my wife how this manuever would be easier with twins......she just smiled.

Fact is BC, you'll find that the added slow speed control you can achieve with twins will allow you to manuever with less speed and be able to buck winds coming from the wrong direction more easily. You'll like that.

Some of my friends have asked me if I'd put twins on her if I did it again, and I'm not sure if I would or not. A single burns less fuel, requires less maintainence, and weighs less than a total twin package, and the occasional time I'd enjoy twins is quite rare compared to the times I'm happy running a single. Trade offs just like most things in life.

thanks for the support guys!!!...my wife says i always worry too much......i'm sure i will be fine!...in harrrison lake, there will be few boats/lots of room to rev up the engines( if i am not ,mistaken- etecs dont have a break in peried,,,,but i better check on that?!!).....and heck,,,,practice my anchoring and--- fish for sturgeon, too!!!....i am going to order a couple of DVD;s on twin outboard control and have them memorized in my mind---- hope that helps when i hit the water!..i'm sure grant will set me at ease when he shows me the ropes!!......i already tested the demo, it felt great!!....now what about the part of puttting the boat on the trailer again??.....heck, here i go againthanks again larry

Default Awe shucks.....

Once you've got the trailer backed down into the water, go start up your twin Etecs, get up a good head of steam while aiming at the center of the trailer, and keep her going until she stops abruptly. At that point you can shut down your motors because your bow has either nestled itself nicely in the rubber bow stop (if you aimed good) or you now have an appendage sticking out the back of your truck. Either way, the boat is well on it's way to getting pulled out of the water. Man, I gotta get out on the water soon!

Enjoy, it's really not that hard.

Quote Originally Posted by HuntKodiak View Post
    Once you've got the trailer backed down into the water, go start up your twin Etecs, get up a good head of steam while aiming at the center of the trailer, and keep her going until she stops abruptly. At that point you can shut down your motors because your bow has either nestled itself nicely in the rubber bow stop (if you aimed good) or you now have an appendage sticking out the back of your truck. Either way, the boat is well on it's way to getting pulled out of the water. Man, I gotta get out on the water soon!

Enjoy, it's really not that hard.

.ok, if i screw up and ram the boat into the ford truck--i will blame you!!.....actually, for the last 3 years i have done good with the jet boat(baby jet) and getting it on the trailer in fairly fast rivers,,,,,park the trailer on an angle downstream formt he river and let 'r rip!!......i "hope" this boat is MUCH easier!!!......hey kodiak, does your trailer have guides that run the sides?....may put some on this easy loader!!.....larry

Quote Originally Posted by bcriverhunter View Post
    .ok, if i screw up and ram the boat into the ford truck--i will blame you!!.....
    It will just give you an excuse to buy a new chevy diesel!

I highly recommend the trailer guides. I generally just walk the boat onto the trailer. It makes life pretty easy. How about some new pictures!?

Pete
    Spending my kids' inheritance with them, one adventure at a time.

Getting on the trailer in the harbor is a piece of cake compared to ina river. No current to deal with, only wind sometime. I see some driving onto the trailer, but I think it is easier and less risky to line the boat onto the trailer and then use the winch to pull it up to the right spot. The key is to figure out the right depth to sink the trailer to and then you will have it. Mine the key is to stop just when the tops of the finders are at water level.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Oh, you have a Ford Larry. Don't worry, they're so tough the boat will just bounce off her. I just bought a new 2011 F250 w/6.2 gaser to replace my 2002 F250. I'm verrrrry happy.

No, I don't have side boards on my trailer. Hadn't really considered it because I kept her in the marina all summer, which limited launch & recovery. Since I'm changing that next year, I might re-consider adding them because I have trailered boats with them, and like Spoiled One said, they do make it easier.....keeps your boat from drifting sideways. In my current situation, they still aren't going to be too critical as I've never had a problem getting her on the trailer easily. Like stated by jrogers, this isn't like recovering in a river. The only thing you might have to fight is wind, but that's normally managable. If you aren't sure, you could always just try without adding bunk or roller sides first.

I normally motor up because the ramp slope isn't very steep, which doesn't make the water get deep very fast, and I have no desire to put my truck's rear tires in salt water. Motoring for me is a gentle and slow approach that saves my son or buddy's arms from cranking much. I'v only nudged the boat up against the stop once, and my son's bug-eyes were priceless. For me, it's quicker to motor up too.

I don't want to see any pictures of your boat in the back of your Ford, and if you do, HuntKodiak is just an alias for my real name......ahhhhh, spoiled one. Really.....just ask my wife!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast