Thread: Kenai legal motor

Default Kenai legal motor

Sorry if this has already been asked. Do the laws of the KRSMA prohibit the use of a motor over 50 hp or the possession of a motor over 50 hp? I.E. could I run my boat with the 15 hp kicker and leave the 90 hp on the transom?

Use, not possession, is my take on the regs. However, if you have a 90 mounted, I'd highly recommend taking the prop off so that it is clear that you can't even use the motor. Are you setup so that the 90 can be left tilted in the up position? A lot of the enforcement types out there would just be itching to write you a ticket. If the 90 were down in the water, even shut off, they could claim that you were running it.

What part of the river are you going to use it on?
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Contact Jacques W. Kosto, District Ranger. The way they were explained to me you cannot have the 90 onboard at all, same as you cannot have a not allowed 2 stoke not even as a unused kicker

Jacques W. Kosto
    Alaska State Parks
    PO Box 1247
    Soldotna, AK 99669
    (907) 262-5581 ext 4
    jacques.kosto@alaska.gov
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

Sadly, the kenai has gotten out of control. I would want to take the prop off or some other way of rendering the motor useless, and contest the ticket in court, just to prove a point.

Sad.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    Contact Jacques W. Kosto, District Ranger. The way they were explained to me you cannot have the 90 onboard at all, same as you cannot have a not allowed 2 stoke not even as a unused kicker

Jacques W. Kosto
    Alaska State Parks
    PO Box 1247
    Soldotna, AK 99669
    (907) 262-5581 ext 4
    jacques.kosto@alaska.gov

Dont know what its worth but i saw a few boats on the river with their big motors up. they didnt seem to concerned.

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskanmutt View Post
    The way they were explained to me you cannot have the 90 onboard at all, same as you cannot have a not allowed 2 stoke not even as a unused kicker
    Care to point out the part of the rather clearly written regs that even remotely suggests this? No, cuz such language doesn't exist. The reg clearly and repeatedly states "OPERATE" and says not a thing about ownership. This "ranger" is blowing smoke and probably has one of them "SuperSized eL Egos".
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Actually JOAT I didn't hear it from the Ranger so you assumed wrong.

What I posted was he should check with the area Ranger who DOES know the exact rules, and provided the information to contact the Ranger

Rather that assume the people on the forum know the exact rules and how they are interpeted

Big difference from "Yes your Honor the guys on a forum board said I could " vs "Your Honor the Area Ranger stated that I was allowed"
    2000 Bayliner Ciera Express 2452
    5.0 Mercruiser Alpha 1

You just cant use the big motor. If it was a case of having too much hp on the boat then anyone with a kicker could be sited for having too much. IE 50hp main and a 9.9 kicker as long as the motor is not used you are fine to run your small motor. There are several guys out there that have dual 50's on their boat to run in the salt but leave one up while on the river. You just cant operate more than 50 hp at a time

Come on mutt, your post clearly states "the way it was explained to me", so you can't back up on that.

Here are the actual regulations. Make your own decision as to what the definition of "operate" is.

11 AAC 20.860. Boat Motor Use
    (a) Except as prohibited by 11 AAC 20.865, and subject to the restrictions set out in (b) of this section, the operation of a boat by the use of a boat motor is allowed in the Kenai River Special Management Area.
    (b) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a motor or combination of motors with a total propshaft horsepower rating or equivalent propshaft horsepower rating greater than 50 horsepower. These horsepower rating limitations do not apply to the following:
    (1) the operation of a boat on Kenai Lake, on Skilak Lake, and on the Kenai River between the Kenai Lake Bridge and river mile 80.7; and
    (2) the operation of a boat by a federal, state, or local governmental agency for the purpose of law enforcement or search and rescue, or for the purpose of fish and game management under a park use permit issued under 11 AAC 18.010.
    (c) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor that has been altered or disguised with respect to the manufacturer's propshaft horsepower rating, manufacturer cowling decals, or the model or serial numbers to produce more than 50 propshaft horsepower.
    (d) A person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor unless the original propshaft horsepower rating of a motor is clearly labeled by the manufacturer or a factory authorized dealer mechanic in the form of cowling decals appropriate to the propshaft horsepower rating. The original propshaft horsepower rating of the motor may be further indicated by a stamp marking embossed in the metal or as part of the model number of the motor.
    (e) On or after January 1, 2008, a person may not operate a boat in the Kenai River Special Management Area by the use of a motor as follows:
    (1) with a total propshaft horsepower rating greater than 35 horsepower, unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection two-stroke motor, as described in Attachment A of the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, Director's Decision on Reduction of Hydrocarbon Pollution from Motorized Boats on the Kenai River, signed November 16, 2006, and adopted by reference;
    (2) during the month of July, unless the motor is a four-stroke motor or a direct fuel injection two-stroke motor, as described in Attachment A of the Department of Natural Resources, Division of Parks and Outdoor Recreation, Director's Decision on Reduction of Hydrocarbon Pollution from Motorized Boats on the Kenai River, signed November 16, 2006, and adopted by reference;
    (3) without displaying on the motor cowling a decal issued by the department that certifies that the motor complies with the requirements of this subsection.
    (f) In this section,
    (1) "direct fuel injection two-stroke motor" means a motor whose fuel is directly injected into the top of the cylinder of an internal combustion engine whose cycle is completed in two piston strokes;
    (2) "four-stroke motor" means an internal combustion engine whose cycle is completed in four piston strokes; "four-stroke motor" includes a suction stroke, compression stroke, expansion stroke, and exhaust stroke;
    (3) "propshaft horsepower rating" means the boat motor's original manufacturer rated and labeled horsepower; however, the addition of a jet drive unit to any boat motor does not change the propshaft horsepower rating of the motor powerhead and driveshaft configuration for the purposes of this section.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

HAHAHHA, ok as a side note, someone really needs to rewrite what defines a 4 stroke; a suction stroke, please ! Expansion.. arggh. Two of them are least correct. Properly termed the four strokes are: Intake, compression, combustion (or power) then exhaust. Where in the world did "suction" and "expansion" come from ?

Sorry, but I had to comment on that !

For what it is worth, I would, had I the means and desire, operate a boat on the KRSMA with a legaly defined motor while having attached to the transom, (but not being nor intended to be used)a motor defined as illegal to operate , in said management area. Not having a prop mounted certainly should disuade any over zealous LEO from making inquiry, as it were. Not having a fuel supply attached should act as another clear indication but would be more difficult to see from a distance. I think the AAC is clear and the burden of proof is supposed to be on the prosecutorial side of matters.

In case the OP is unaware, there is a "Ask the Alaska State Troopers" forum available, I think this would qualify as a legit question for them.

I always liked "suck, squeeze, pop, blow"

Quote Originally Posted by .338WM View Post
    there is a "Ask the Alaska State Troopers" forum available, I think this would qualify as a legit question for them.
    Good idea! Question submitted to the trooper's sockpuppet account. Since, by their own admission, they are answering questions based on popularity, it seems the best way to get them to address this is for everyone interested in this topic to submit this question as well.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Maybe the laws have changed (I don't think so), but I agree with the stance that you are allowed to have the motor on the boat but just can't use it. About 5 years ago I needed some work done on by Duckworth 24' inboard jetboat's trailer, and I chose a guy in Soldotna. I checked with the Kenai River Center, and they said it was OK to have it in the river as long as I did not use it. I have a cabin on the middle section of the river between the Keys and Bings, and we have a boat launch a few cabins up from mine. I floated the boat and used my 9.9 to get it down to my dock and tie it up. I left it there for a week, so I am sure it was seen by all Law enforcement on the river. I put a note on the window explaining why the boat was in the water, and who I got approval from to put it there. I pulled it out a week later with the kicker, and never heard a word from anyone.
    2009 Seawolf 31'
    www.seawolfmarine.com
    Fully Loaded

Interesting, I thought about putting a 15 horse kicker on my wooldridge and connecting it up to steer off the main controls from my 2cycle 90. I wonder if I could run that in the kenai...