Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: If you could live/trap any where in AK remote where would you live?

Default If you could live/trap any where in AK remote where would you live?

My dad is retired and has always talked about getting a remote cabin and running a trapline with a snow machine. He grew up in the 50's in back country Montana mining and trapping as a kid. He has been talking for the last couple years on doing this in AK? Not a huge line but still good sized, 100 traps or so. Enough to keep him busy for 4 months or more a year.

What area of the state do you think is the richest in game and isn't over populated with trappers? Remote is good, long distance access via boat, wheeler or sled would be the best, plane gets spendy (not wanting to step on any toes, its a big state).

thanks!!!

Ive never been to Bethel but my cousin lives there and Man he seems to have it made. That guy has seen more and done more in 10 years there than I have living in anchorage my whole life. He regularly sends pictures of fish and game that would just make you drool.

Anywhere but Nome...Nome is horrible.

I think I'd choose the road system outside of Anchorage.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Anywhere but Nome...Nome is horrible.

I think I'd choose the road system outside of Anchorage.

I was thinking of Nome

I have heard great things about Dillingham area and King Salmon.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

I'd live exactly right where I live of course!
    There's no place like home.

Grandma Lori
    If God had intended us to follow recipes,
    He wouldn't have given us grandmothers. ~Linda Henley

iliamna would be good once ur there u got services and lots of trapping to be done to

Right here is as good as it gets.

There used to be a few trapper/outdoorsy types along the Ambler river. To my knowledge they are all gone. Caribou, moose, might be sheep up there. Wolves, wolverine, maybe some marten.
    First thing I'd be wanting tho is.....................trees and wood to burn.

Nome doesn't have trees!!
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

I'd head back down to the Yukon-Koyukuk area.
    Now what ?

I've lived in both Kobuk, and Aleknagik (near Dillingham) Both were incredible places with abundant game, fishing, and fur. Kobuk is much more remote, maybe better suited for a plane. Aleknagik is very doable with easy access to Dillingham....And then there's always NOME!

Really cool information guys!

How do you get out to Dillingham? How long does it take? How do most people get there stuff out there?

thanks

The Stikine river is hard to beat.It does look like they have about six foot of snow already though.Wrangell on one end and Telegraph Creek on the other
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

I sent you a PM

Alaska resident. But working where ever the work is. Vegas til spring

Goaty, I am interested in buying some semi remote land. 1 to 10 acres. I am planning a 500 to 600 sq.ft. cabin build this summer. I like Delta Junction area with the no tax benefit. This will be a long term use cabin. Any help in finding a piece of land such as this? Send me a message if you could help on this subject. Thanks.

Teacherman,
    Dillingham is fly in only except in the summer months when you can barge stuff in. It does have a lot to offer but the trapping is getting more and more competitive every year and I say that to be honest not to keep you away. I know a few new comers here who are really struggling trying to find a piece of ground and it has become a bit of a battle for old timers to keep the areas they have. It is also surrounded by rivers and lakes several of us we are still waiting on good ice to get out to our main lines it usually happens in mid - late Dec.
    A lot of native Corp lands that don't charge user fees for trapping yet but they do for hunting, sport fishing, and wood cutting so I think it is just a matter of time on that one as well.
    I like the area have been here nearly 30 yrs but hate dealing with the tides the other or in my case the biggest negative I have about Dillingham itself there is really no all tide place to launch so you have to time your daily trips in open water and early ice as well with the high or low tides. It can really ruin a day when tides are at 3pm and 3 am unless you plan to camp
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Chevy,
    Look on the Delta News web site. There is a listing for 10 acres close to the clearwater lake. Not the most remote but it is close to the town of Delta. Good luck.

So Nome must be fantastic. Aren't you a 2 hour sled ride from dall sheep?

And you have muskox? Lots of them?

Yeah Nome must really suck. I was in Barrow, even Barrow was a decent place to hunt and fish.

Nome does not have Dall sheep to my knowledge... but musk ox are numerous, Grizz are also numerous, and th eWestern Arctic herd winter about 75 miles North east of Nome..... othat is over 300, 000 caribou. Fishing is ok and there are some big moose if you know where to look.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast