Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: 5.56 in a min-14

Default 5.56 in a min-14

Just wondering if you can shoot5.56 in a min 14 I have heard you can and that you can't any info would be awsome and if you can't y not

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawa View Post
    Just wondering if you can shoot5.56 in a min 14 I have heard you can and that you can't any info would be awsome and if you can't y not
    The answer is yes you CAN. I think your question is more of a "should I shoot 5.56 ammo in a Mini-14?"
    Foolishness is a moral category, not an intellectual one.

Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    That's good enough for me Amigo Will. I haven't owned a Mini-14 in years, but I do not remember them marked AC/DC. Maybe they were and I was too young to care or take notice. Thanks for straightening me out.

It's only marked .223 on mine buts y shouldn't I use 5.56 and on my boxes it says 223

Remington made the first 223 rifles to push sales and stated it was better than 5.56.Back then the other makers called them the same and both OK to fire in their rifles.Remington had all ready made their money on the milsurp stuff so had to come up with a way to make money and the higher dollar 223 for their rifle hit the market.Ruger called BS the whole time
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Thanks Amigo. For a minute there it made me doubt that what I have been doing the last 10 years was safe lol. All is well now and I can sleep sound (well maybe not sound but thats not rolling around lol)
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

#2 son had a stuck case after shooting Wolf steel case plastic coated ammo in my Mini. It came out fairly easy, but it took a bronze brush on a drill to get the chamber clean. Point being...if you shoot the Russian crap...clean your chamber!

My stainless mini has eaten any kind of .223 and 5.56NATO I have put through it for years with no hiccups at all, even Russian stuff. Great gun and tough.

Quote Originally Posted by Bulawa View Post
    It's only marked .223 on mine buts y shouldn't I use 5.56 and on my boxes it says 223
    Look closer. I'd bet it's marked .223 CAL, not .223 REM. 5.56 military ammunition is OK to use in the Mini-14.

But, if you don't want to take the word of a stranger on the interwebs (I wouldn't), and you still need that warm fuzzy feeling, you can go to the Ruger website (here) and download the manual. (Mine is of the "1978 to 2004" variety.) The very first page - yes, the cover - of that manual clearly says it's for the 5.56. And, in the "Ammunition" section (page 11), it states very clearly that the Mini-14 is designed to fire BOTH .223 REM sporting ammunition and 5.56 military ammunition.

It doesn't get any clearer than that.

I can't believe people are still questioning this after all these years... Probably has something to do with people confusing the ".223 CAL" marked on the rifle with .223 REM.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

When I bought the gun the guy at Walmart said not to but I didn't take his advice so I asked a guy at sportsman, he said the same thing. So the guys who sell them are saying that you shouldn't use 5.56

I'm sure their pay scale explains their gun knowledge.

5.56 is .219 close enough to .223, If I remember correctly,the mini 14 came out in 1976, in celebration of the 200th year of American independence.

I think the first Minis were really built for some of the South American Armys. The guns were semi auto or three shot burst.Ruger also tried other military with the 7.63x39.I do wish their try in 308 would have worked. Of course there was the 222rem mini and the 6.8 mini also for overseas sale where the people could not own military chamberings

I've put hundreds of 5.56 through a Mini 14 with no problem.
    PROUD TO BE A VETERAN

Quote Originally Posted by Water-Man View Post
    I've put hundreds of 5.56 through a Mini 14 with no problem.
    Likely, but its just not a SAAMI recommended practice. The chamber pressures are higher when shooting 5.56 in a .223 Rem barrel because of the leade differences...

Quote Originally Posted by Amigo Will View Post
    I think the first Minis were really built for some of the South American Armys. The guns were semi auto or three shot burst.Ruger also tried other military with the 7.63x39.I do wish their try in 308 would have worked. Of course there was the 222rem mini and the 6.8 mini also for overseas sale where the people could not own military chamberings
    That .308 one would have been awesome! Sadly I heard that the cartridge beat up the test guns too badly

This same post is in the pred hunting or trapping thread why do guys multi post the same topic in different threads only to confuse others! I kinda find it B.S.
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    Likely, but its just not a SAAMI recommended practice. The chamber pressures are higher when shooting 5.56 in a .223 Rem barrel because of the leade differences...
    The Mini-14 is NOT a .223 REM.

I don't know any other way to say it, so I just said it a lot. Earlier, I provided a link to the manuals. I recommend that you take the time to actually READ one of them. You can even call Ruger if you want. But, please, quit repeating false information. The Mini-14 is MADE to shoot 5.56 military ammunition. And, just for the record, the Mini-14 is NOT a .223 REM.
    Quote Originally Posted by northwestalska
    ... you canít tell stories about the adventures you wished you had done!

Quote Originally Posted by Rod in Wasilla View Post

...And, just for the record, the Mini-14 is NOT a .223 REM.
    So what exactly are you trying to say Rod?

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast