Thread: 5.56 in a min-14

Default 5.56 in a min-14

Does anyone know if shooting 5.56 threw a min-14 is ok to do. I no .223 can shoot threw AR's or 5.56. I can't remember where I heard you couldn't but I don't want to try it until I know for sure
    Thanks

I have shot a few hundred .556rounds through my Mini. Never all at once but you know one or two mags here and there. The response I have gotten from several friends that know more about guns in their little pinky than me has been that the .556 round has a slightly higher chamber pressure. It is a small enough difference that won't affect operation of the mini. The only difference I have noticed in my own trial and error is that it seems to dirty the mini much faster. IMO this is due to the different type of action. Where in the AR part of the gases are sent back through the tube and some deposits there, the mini just lets it 'float back into the chamber area. If your Mini is a tack driver like mine, you may notice a SLIGHTLY higher point of impact to.

That being said PLEASE let me know if someone tells you different lol.
    I would also try posting this in the shooting forum. Prob more appropriate there and more knowlegable answers
    Last edited by AKPyron; 11-30-2010 at 18:02. Reason: Forgot info
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

Thanks for the info

I think Ruger still states 5.56/223 on the gun or box
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Mine doesn't say it on the gun. i have never seen the box though, Pop's bought the gun many many many moons ago lol. GREAT present though!

They are just fine in the mini....wont hurt them at all!!

Maybe I'm wrong, but it's always been my understanding that 5.56mm is the same as .223 caliber. I always thought it was just two different ways of measuring the round. The military always refers to .223 as 5.56mm, just like .308 caliber is referred to as 7.62 x 51 mm. Someone please set me straight if I'm wrong.
    PC gag in place.

in dimensions yes but the 5.56 brass has thicker walls and has a heavier powder charge than .223 since 5.56 generally have heavier bullets than .223. With modern barrel materials and the process in which they are made you can shoot 5.56 out of just about any .223 with no problems. It is mainly the older guns they are concerned with and a lawsuit which is why some are marked .223 only same goes with .308 win and 7.62x 51 same dimensions different loads in most modern guns they will fire 7.62 just fine. Some keyboard jockey gunsmiths will disagree but it is whatever really.

yes the mini's can shoot 5.56 ammo according to the mini 14 manual:
    "The mini 14 rifle is designed to use either standarized U.S. military or factory loaded sporting 223 cartridges"
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ

I found that 5.56 ammo doesn't fit in my Mini-14 factory 5 rnd mag. I bought a bag full of tracer rounds from Ammo King a couple years ago and had to load them 1 at a time.

Tracers have a phosphorus tip coating but shouldn't make them more than 1 milimeter longer. That aside though not the best thing to put through your hunting barrel, they leave lots of deposits.

Quote Originally Posted by akcharlie1960 View Post
    I found that 5.56 ammo doesn't fit in my Mini-14 factory 5 rnd mag. I bought a bag full of tracer rounds from Ammo King a couple years ago and had to load them 1 at a time.
    If they don't fit properly I would buy them they should accept fine in my ar mags
    Visions Steel/841-WELD(9353)
    "Rebellion is in my blood, I was born an American"
    Μολών λαβέ