Thread: day/ night timing for calling

Default day/ night timing for calling

Might be a dumb question, but has anyone ever tried calling in the middle of the day? Just thought I would throw it out there, what time of the day is most productive? I've Always seen fox, coyotes on stand when hunting for whitetail.

the last coyote i killed was shot at 2pm and i recently called in a lynx at 1pm in the middle of the day. there is no BAD time to call for predators. its always worth a try.

I try to get out in the early AM, but one area I've called requires the better part of two hours of hiking before I get there. Unless I walk by headlamp, it's not going to be first or last light when I'm calling. I called in a coyote out there last year around noon.

I call during the day and have had pretty good luck from noon until 2PM. To me, the early AM is good, then there is a lag. Then the 12-2PM time has been decent and then another lag. Then, right before dusk it's good on through the evening. That probably coincides with how the animals hunt & rest though. They get up from their early morning sleep after night hunting and hunt the early mornings for awhile. Then they rest and soak up what little bit of heat and sun there is for a few hours. Then, they get up and hunt more for a couple hours....rest before the evening hunting and then continue on hunting in the dark for awhile. Of course, that's just me making up what I think they do. Whatever it is, that's what I've noticed.

I go by solunar tables and so far they are within 30 minutes on either end for activity times.
    Now what ?

stevelyn, can you go into some detail on that, I don't really get it.

Talkin either end of what, sunrise/sunset? I was thinking tide changes when I read your post, then
    realized I'm not on a Fisheries thread,

so, solunar tables,...... - what?
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Called in 2 cats between 11am 2pm

Ok, found 'em here, interesting,

http://www.solunarforecast.com/solunarcalendar.aspx
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Use the moon to guide you.. animals tend to move more when the moon rises.. Today for example the moose rises at 605am and sets at 151pm.. Not a great day to call.. If I had to I would go at noonish and call making sets 20-30 minutes long until dark.. Ideal times i nmy opinion is when the moon is new, (building towards full moon).. and rises about a hour before light.. Makes for great shooting light in the early morning and into and past sunrise. The key is to get into the area quietly.. and form downwind of where you think the predators are holding up or moving at.. then call quiet.. and increase as time goes by.. Bitter cold days I think work the best too..

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    stevelyn, can you go into some detail on that, I don't really get it.

Talkin either end of what, sunrise/sunset? I was thinking tide changes when I read your post, then
    realized I'm not on a Fisheries thread,

so, solunar tables,...... - what?
    I'm refering to 30 minutes on either side of the forecasted peak feeding/activity period. I have access to a multi-function GPS (Magellan Meridian Marine) that has a solunar almanac. I just go to the hunting/fishing function for the area and it tells me what the two "excellent" and "good" periods are in a 24 hour day. It also has sunrise/sunset and moonrise/moonset with moon phase function, but i do not know how to corelate those times and moon phase with peak activity. So I just go by what the listed times are on the hunting/fishing almanac.

I found that it really works well for halibut fishing as long as the tides are cooperating at the sametime.

For instance here's the forecast for Dec 4, using 24hr time for Belkofski:

Excellent:

0423 to 0623
    1643 to 1843

Good

1043 to 1243
    2303 to 0103

The sun and moon rise and set are:

Sunrise- 1155hrs
    Sunset- 1922hrs
    Moon rise- 1113
    Moon set- 1826 and the moon phase is a dark or new moon.

Now how do they figure out those activity times with that info? I dunno.
    Now what ?