Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Seaduck classification---common duck or seaduck???

Default Seaduck classification---common duck or seaduck???

I recently had a discussion with a trooper in Juneau about the waterfowl regs as to the classification of seaducks, specifically goldeneye and buffleheads. He called me and said that nowhere in his research did he find goldeneye or bufflehead classified as common ducks or puddle ducks. He cited DU and other duckie websites. So he said they are considered seaducks and count toward the seaduck limit. there has been discusion on this site as to what limit the goldeneye and bufflehead count toward. some say they are and some say they aren't. Even though the 2010-2011 waterfowl regs do not speceifically list all the seaduck species one could find in AK. It is clear what goose species are listed and to what limits they count( dark, light). However I would appreciate and be entertained to see what others think. Are they really a seaduck? or a common duck?? they do nest inland in boreal forests like other seaducks do. I remember years ago that they (goldeneye)were specifically listed as a non seaduck specie and counted as a common or puddle duck. What do other quackheads think??

page 14 of the 2010 regs says SEA DUCKS: Includes harliquins, oldsquaws, eiders scooters mergansers.

i am 99% pretty sure that golden eyes and buffle heads are considered in the puddle/diver duck limit.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...pdfs/wfl-1.pdf

I posted this question on the ask a trooper forum and have yet to see a response---Maybe we'll have to have the judicial system decide this one. so a guy shoots 7 mallards in a saltwater bay So he calls them seaducks and shot 7 more teal. So ......my point is that the regs aren't written very well as far as classification goes. the regs imply that there are other seaducks that include harlequin, etc. page 14.

That is how read it as well. Goldeneye and Buffies count toward your puddle/diver duck limit, not your sea duck limit.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    page 14 of the 2010 regs says SEA DUCKS: Includes harliquins, oldsquaws, eiders scooters mergansers.

i am 99% pretty sure that golden eyes and buffle heads are considered in the puddle/diver duck limit.

http://www.wc.adfg.state.ak.us/regul...pdfs/wfl-1.pdf

I've always considered goldeneye and buffleheads sea ducks. Mostly based on behaviour and the places they live in SE. Goldeneye are always in rafts on the saltwater and mix and mingle with the scoters, harliquin and such.
    I'd agree with you, but then we'd both be wrong.

It don't matter what the Juneau trooper said. He is wrong. I am 100% clear. Kwackkillncrew is correct above.
    Golden Eyes and Buffleheads are in the limit of the puddlers in Alaska. It is plain and clear in the Alaska Waterfowl regs so if in doupt look it up and go have fun. Duck Don

I've killed both Goldeneyes and Buffleheads in Wyoming. That's a long way from the sea.

Can't remember a scoter or harlequin ever dropping into the dekes back there.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

in mn mergies are not sea ducks they are considered divers thought that was a little weird finding out they are sea ducks here.

Quote Originally Posted by kwackkillncrew View Post
    in mn mergies are not sea ducks they are considered divers thought that was a little weird finding out they are sea ducks here.
    Likewise in WY. Never thought of them as seaducks.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

http://www.wildlife.alaska.gov/regul...pdfs/wfl-1.pdf

Page 14. Goldeneyes and bufflehead are not sea ducks.

they should have their own grouping i.e, puddle ducks - mallards, pins, teal ,gaddys. Divers-buffys,cans,rings, bluebills, goldens. sea ducks- harlis,olds,scoters,eiders. lastly trash ducks-mergansers. oh wait that makes to much sense . all kidding aside they count towards your regular puddle duck limit.
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

The regs are clear-in AK they count as puddlers as Waldo2382 said.
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

Ow, Ow Ow...my head hurts, my eyes are now tweeked... I need a shot of whiskey and a nap.....

In the Federal Register, Volume 75, No 145, published July 29, 2010 the proposed bag limits for the Alaska 2010 season were published.
    Outside of subsistance rules the proposed season and limits do not change from this to what is final. In this publication they state what a bag of sea ducks is comprised of:

In addition to the basic duck limits, Alaska may select sea duck limits of 10 daily, 20 in possession, singly or in the aggregate, including no more than 6 each of either harlequin or long-tailed ducks. Sea ducks include scoters, common and king eiders, harlequin ducks, long-tailed ducks, and common and red-breasted mergansers.

So, even though the Sea Duck Joint Venture lists GE's and buffies as sea ducks, in Alaska by federal law they are not.

Further review of the published limits they do not define what a duck limit is comprised of except the number of canvas backs that can be in a limit and that a duck limit cannot contain any sea ducks. Since sea ducks are defined that means everything not listed, or excluded by protection like some of the eiders, is just a duck - GE's and buffies are just ducks up here.

PS. super trooper questions...I asked a waterfowl related question as well, and after reviewing the "rules" for questions, waterfowl questions may not get answered since the rules are all federal, even though the troopers can and do enforce them. I searched the on-line AAC and AS and found that there are only a few state laws covering the illegal means for taking waterfowl, but nothing else. All other laws covering the hunting of waterfowl are federal.

Goldies and buffies are NOT part of the sea duck limit.

You know what urks my arse? Enforcement that doesn't even know the rules.....the true definition of ignorant hypocracy.

goldeneyes and bufflehead are in the mergini family, so they are classified as seaducks. in Alaska, they are considered a diver duck in the general duck limit. they are not included in the seaduck bag limit in Ak, but mergansers are.
    buck

yes mergies and golden eyes are in the same family of Anatidea....so are all other ducks and geese so by from what you said bucksducks is pretty much irrelavant. unless your going to start calling canada geese sea geese and all other ducks sea ducks. just cause they are in the same family does not mean that they are considered sea ducks because of that reason.

The way I look at it, there are two types of ducks... the ones you want to eat (puddle ducks and some divers) and the ones you don't want to eat (sea ducks). Depending on where you are, you can shoot 7 or 8 of the good ones, and then you can shoot sea ducks too. If somebody wants to shoot more sea ducks or golden eyes than the one of each they want to mount, then I either want to watch them eat it or get their recipe. I am all for the regs and making sure that ducks don't get over harvested. Butterballs and whistlers are great shooting but not great eating. If you lay off them you get more mallards, widgeon and teal.
    "Next time you feel important, try telling someone elses Chesapeake to do something"-- anonymous

OK, All the BS about sea ducks being not editable. Abeit, I have not tried a merge but with the following, Scoters, Golden Eyes and Scaup I do the following. Bone the meat, soak over night in cold water, soak about 6 hours in milk. Drain, cut in thin slices, pan fry in olive oil, salt and pepper. DO NOT OVER COOK, keep it a little rare in the middle. Finish frying in a marinade of Ginger and Sesame Seed and serve on a bed of steamed white rice. Fine eating. IMO ducks taste like what they are eating and if you don't believe that try a mallard that is feeding on dead salmon. Duck Don

Default Lou Tisch's Diver and Coot cooking tips

Duckdon, one of the cooking science things I learned this fall was the use of butter milk to soak meat in. The acid in the butter milk helps tenderize the meat as well as make it moister due to its break down. The acid in various marinades is vinegar which does the same thing, but can be overly strong acting. Your use of milk is also performing the same thing with the meat. Butter milk seams to do a more throrough or consistant job of the process.

Diver cooking by Lou Tisch (Lock Stock and Barrel - FME paints and E.Allen Decoys)

There are some secrets.....I always place a duck or coot on it's back right after it's shot. This lets the blood drain out of the breast and removes a lot of the gamey taste. I will then typically age my birds a couple days (this is temperature dependent). If you think about it.......all the meat you eat has been aged. Makes a big difference.

A fix for shot up birds or birds that were not handled well is to soak them in water and baking soda mixture over night to dissolve out any gamey taste. One to two table spoons of baking soda to a quart of water work OK. It will load the meat with water so you have to drain it for a day. Do not cook the water soaked meat without draining it as some of it will end up with a spongy texture.

Lou’s Stir Fry
    1. Breast the bird out and chunk the breast into pieces about 1/2" to 3/4" square.
    2. Heat the wok up and put some peanut oil in and get that good and hot. Then add some Lawrey's seasoning and mesquite seasoning and allow this to steep a little. You can use seasoned wok oil and skip these seasonings, but the Lawrey’s and the mesquite go well with the other things being added at the end of the meat cooking step.
    3. Cook hard veggies like carrots and such at this time with 1/3 of a sliced up onion. Remember that the thinner you cut up the veggies the faster they cook. Cook until the onion is nearly clear. Take out and set aside for adding back in later.
    4. Add more oil. Once hot, throw the rest of the chopped onions in and half sauté them then bring them up on the sides of the wok.
    5. Now put the meat in and begin cooking it. Half way through you can bring the onions down into the meat.
    6. Add two or three shakes of cinnamon to the mix at this time and about a minute later add a little (¼ tsp) vanilla extract.
    7. Do not over cook.....keep the meat red in the middle a little. When the meat is cooked, add a little Drambuie to the mix and this will change the boiling point and saturate the meat with some of the flavor and the alcohol will flash off. (you could use brandy as well).
    8. Add the cooked veggies back in and mix to heat them up and get the sauce spread out
    9. Serve over wild rice with a good red wine on the side.

I have used this on blue bills and goldeneyes and it tastes pretty darned good. Lou and the late Lee Harker claimed to have served finicky little kids with this dish comprised of mostly coots and they all cleaned their plates.
    Im not much of a drinker and found out that Drambuie is way too pricey to be burning up in a wok, but I did it anyway.

I also try to keep all my ducks on their backs after retrieving them. Most are shot in the head and upper breast so getting the blood to drain back into the body cavity is important.

I just shot a bunch of sea ducks with Buck down in Seldovia. Now I got two new recipes to look forward too. I enjoyed the sea ducks I shot last year and look forward to eating the ones I shot this year. They aren't inedible, you just have to cook them right. They also make excellent jerky. Duck breast doesn't have tendons or tough meat in it so it's like eating those steak nuggets you pay 5 or 6 dollars for at the store. All ducks taste different depending on what they are eating. So far the sea ducks I have eaten have been pretty good.
    Some people call it sky busting... I call it optimism
    "Swans are a gift" -DucksandDogs
    I am a shoveler's worst nightmare!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast