Thread: Eureka! ZEUS 2 EXO tent experience???

Default Eureka! ZEUS 2 EXO tent experience???

Anybody use one of these?
    It is a single wall design & I've never tried anything without a fly before so I'm a little leary of that for here on the Kenai Peninsula in Sept. for moose or early canoe camping in the rain.
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Default Bucket...

Vance,
    Its selling point is that it is light and easy. However its design allows condensation to run straight into the sewn-in floor. I went to wake a buddy up one morning on a sheep hunt. It had been raining on us for days. He literally and actually had a huge puddle of water at the lower end of his tent! He had me go around and CUT A HOLE in the thing... seriously.

That's my/his experience with one, for what it's worth.

Taylor

You Marc, but other than that ....

Seriously, did it hold up to wind well & did it keep the rain on the outside where it belonged?

The condensation problem sounds like it might be a bit hard to solve.
    Is condensation a problem with most single wall tents?
    Vance in AK.

"But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

Wink

Vance, I'll have to second what Marc said. I"ve used one a diffrent make but same single wall type construction and , it"s like sleeping in a plastic bag! Every time a rain drop strikes the inside tent wall roof the condensation drips right on you. In cold weather it turns to ice which is better to me than sleeping in a puddle! Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Thumbs down

Been there and done that and will not do it again .
    So much codensation I repositioned the tent so I was on a semi slant so the water would build up at the end of the tent .
    I would not waste my cash .
    My 02 worth.

RR
    Practice does not make perfect !!!!!
    Perfect Practice makes perfect !!!!!!!!!!

USS SARATOGA CV-60

http://img.photobucket.com/albums/v5...ex_2-1-1-1.gif

Thanks guys, but again a question.
    Is this problem particular to this model (I will pass on it) or to single wall tents in general?
    Longhunter, from what you are saying I assume it's all single walls.
    Vance in AK.

Bibler single wall tents are in a different league. They have a tri-laminate material that is waterproof and breathable. The inside material is kind of fuzzy which essentially absorbs and dissipates condensation. Warmth in the tent pushes moisture out through the material. I don't have one but I have a NorthFace Apogee made in 1993 which is the same type of material and works on the same principle. Comparable to the Bibler Bombshelter. It works good. It also has vents which helps if you put two guys and all your wet gear inside.

Personally I like the advantages of this type of single wall tent. Lighter for more tent, poles pitch on the inside and with the guyouts make it bombproof. Not rain fly to flap in the wind either. Downside is you have to manage condensation. Not a big deal with the one I have.

I still think the Bibler Fitzroy with the vestible would be the hot setup. Not so sure about the single wall non-breathable fabric tents.

ps check out this website for lots of good tent info: http://www.findmeatent.com/

Wink

Vance, I can offer no feedback as to the breathable, single wall types. But if it were me I might look at the eureka spitfire types for short money. I don"t think there is any way to escape condension on standard single wall, coated tents. Bill
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30