Thread: Navigational computer

Red face Navigational computer

I expect that most of you are familiar with the (old) E6-B computer. Has anyone out there had experience with any other of the mechanical computers? For instance, the BATORI COMPUTER? I started on the E6-B while in the USAF, but found a much easier one that, at the time, was being used by Alaska Airlines. The Batori. Any of you guys familiar with it?

Someplace around here in one of my many boxes of odd-ball possessions, I have a round whiz wheel type flight calculator that is called a B-24. I think it was made by the Swiss.
    Then there is another by the same company called a B-25 for Jet aircraft. They are a white plastic.
    Does that sound close???

Plus I have my Dad's old USAAF D-4 whiz wheel... Probably in the same box.. wherever my wife is hiding it...

I just found a big box that had two sets of jumper cables, my best screwdriver (missing for a year) , one old shoe, a big crescent wrench and some old KING VHS tapes...
    When I asked about the odd-ball items, I was told that it was really my fault since I do not put my junk where she thinks it should be stored...
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Float pilot, LOL, i think I married her sister. Anyway Griz, I have a CR2 or 3 somewhere. We used to use them everyday at Airbone Express, it was mandated to carry one and use it for TAS cal. every leg for maybe the first ten years i was there. Also used it when we got rerouted in the 727's going into the Carribean and So./central America. You could really be quite accurate. It was easier than the E6B for high speed flight planning.

Yeah Griz I got my 80's model E6-B1. Looks good as new. Actually I'm gonna back thru all that manual computations just to know how like in the 80's. Got surgery tomorrow so a good project while laid up.

Rick

Quote Originally Posted by algonquin View Post
    Float pilot, LOL, i think I married her sister. Anyway Griz, I have a CR2 or 3 somewhere. We used to use them everyday at Airbone Express, it was mandated to carry one and use it for TAS cal. every leg for maybe the first ten years i was there. Also used it when we got rerouted in the 727's going into the Carribean and So./central America. You could really be quite accurate. It was easier than the E6B for high speed flight planning.
    Yep, and easily used in rough air, since it needed only one thumb for its operation.

I use a Jeppesen CR-2 since 1976 because I can put it in my shirt pocket. I lost it some years ago and replaced it with another.

Quote Originally Posted by RocketRick View Post
    Yeah Griz I got my 80's model E6-B1. Looks good as new. Actually I'm gonna back thru all that manual computations just to know how like in the 80's. Got surgery tomorrow so a good project while laid up.

Rick
    Good luch with the surgery!!!!!

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    Someplace around here in one of my many boxes of odd-ball possessions, I have a round whiz wheel type flight calculator that is called a B-24. I think it was made by the Swiss.
    Then there is another by the same company called a B-25 for Jet aircraft. They are a white plastic.
    Does that sound close???

Plus I have my Dad's old USAAF D-4 whiz wheel... Probably in the same box.. wherever my wife is hiding it...

I just found a big box that had two sets of jumper cables, my best screwdriver (missing for a year) , one old shoe, a big crescent wrench and some old KING VHS tapes...
    When I asked about the odd-ball items, I was told that it was really my fault since I do not put my junk where she thinks it should be stored...
    Probably pretty close! The Batori has time-speed-distance on the front, and the wind problems on the other side. All operations are by a single thumb action only. Still amazine, and I still use it. It notes that I bought it in October of 1955! It's machine marked, all aluminum. GREAT computer!