Thread: using snare for hare

Default using snare for hare

I have never snared hare before but seen some posts about it here so I thought I would ask. I had always thought that trapping was only for the skins. I have not tried to use any of the skins from the hare we have shot but we love the meat. we make bunny jerky and bunny burger and other dishes quite a bit. so here are my questions...

where can I find snares to use for hares?
    how do I place them? just look for tracks and place them there?
    as a hunter I was always taught to clean the animal as soon after killing them as possible, but if I am snaring them I would imagine that you set the snares and check them the next morning? wouldn't the animal be frozen by then? does that hurt the meat? do just thaw them out and clean as I would normally?

any help is appreciated?

to find ready made quality snares try:
    http://www.minntrapprod.com or
    http://Raymondthompson.com
    I also hear sampsons hardware in fairbanks has snares and supplies.
    I don't think it would be that hard to make your own if you really wanted too.
    Check youtube for some videos of rabbit snaring.
    To set them I look for the well used trails. Walk down these trails until you find a narrow spot just large enough for your snare.
    You can also use sticks and whatnot to narrow the trails yourself.
    One problem I have had was Eagles and Ravens finding them before I did and lost a couple. I would think if you set in areas where there was some cover to hide the bunnies from predators from above this would help keep them away from your snared bunnies.
    I am going to give this a try again when I get off the slope this time. my hunting buddy wants to make bunny jerky. I froze and vac sealed 5 cut up hares about a month ago. We just need 5 more or so before we try making the jerky.
    Good luck!
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Go to sportsmans, buy some 5/64? snares in a 12 pack and set them on the narrows entries of bunny traill around willows.
    If you set a good big bunny snare, you may get some fox, too. Lotsa fun, and a great reason to get out for some fresh air.

my lanta.... snares for bunnies???? I just go to the hardware store and grab some thin wire... its cheaper and doesnt take much in the field to rig up.

If you cant stand behind the troops in Iraq.. Feel free to stand in front of them.

I got a spool of wire from Home Depot for like $5, should make quite a few snares, very easy to do, I found some directions with the google machine. Haven't tried it yet because i'm confused about the regs, keep forgetting to call.

Maybe you guys have an idea, do you need a trapping license to snare Hares even though their not considered furbearers?

You need a hunting license to snare hares.

Quote Originally Posted by ret25yo View Post
    my lanta.... snares for bunnies???? I just go to the hardware store and grab some thin wire... its cheaper and doesnt take much in the field to rig up.
    Roger that! I taught my outdoor ed class to snare rabbits last spring with just plain old thin wire. Very successful up and coming trappers they were. Don't waste your money on commercial snares for bunnies.

Choose the non-galvanized wire, because if you forget where a set is (which should never happen if you use survey tape), the wire will rust away after a year or two.

picture hanging wire is what i use...works great.
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    picture hanging wire is what i use...works great.
    That stuff works great on hares!

I use 20ga wire for my snares. Easy to make and I usually make extras. Have to check them every day. Yes, on well packed trails with narrow openings, hopefully between a couple of trees. There is a good video on youtube on how to make them. Looked at it last year. Keep the loop about 4-5 inches off the ground. Have also have some eaten or half-eaten when I got there, but not very often. I let them thaw if frozen, then skin and cut them up. I freeze the parts with a vacuum sealer. Works great.

Mike

I have been using the same snare wire I use for the fox.. Can set em 8" at the bottom, if a hare is running down the trail, BAM.. usually they go under.. but in a nigh when they are running back and forth, BAM.. they get caught.. and if a fox is trotting down their trail.. (tracks).. you can catch them too..

Quote Originally Posted by Hoytguy View Post
    I have been using the same snare wire I use for the fox.. Can set em 8" at the bottom, if a hare is running down the trail, BAM.. usually they go under.. but in a nigh when they are running back and forth, BAM.. they get caught.. and if a fox is trotting down their trail.. (tracks).. you can catch them too..
    +1. What he said.

Voles are a problem too if you don't check your snares soon enough. They come up from below the rabbit and feed. A friend of mine once took a "double" with two snares in tandem.