Thread: Second degree kindred advice needed....

Default Second degree kindred advice needed....

Looking to apply for a few AK hunts this year.

Need some advice for the second degree kindred app.

If you've done a SDK app for a draw hunt for a guide-required species please drop me a pm and I'll get right back to you.
    Thanks in advance.
    Frank
    Proud to be an American!

Thanks for the many PMs guys. We got hammered with another 20 inches last night so I've been plowing my butt off, but I'll correspond asap...

Best,
    Frank
    Proud to be an American!

I'm sure you appreciate all the pm's but those of us not privy to them would like to know the answer too.

My guess is that SDK is only for Tier I/II permits since they are traditionally a subsistence/provide for the household type permit. But, if I'm wrong and you can SDK transfer ANY permit then someone post up the link to the regs so we can all get educated.

I think what is going on is he is doing a hunt with a relative that isn't a resident. Non-residents have to have a guide for sheep, bear and goat hunts. In lieu of a guide, they can hunt with a relative. I'm looking at doing a hunt with my brother in law (sister's husband) for sheep. If we do, I'll have the same questions on how he complets his draw permit applications.

This is covered in the hunting regs, but not how to complete applications.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 1S1K View Post
    I'm sure you appreciate all the pm's but those of us not privy to them would like to know the answer too.

My guess is that SDK is only for Tier I/II permits since they are traditionally a subsistence/provide for the household type permit. But, if I'm wrong and you can SDK transfer ANY permit then someone post up the link to the regs so we can all get educated.
    actually... SDK is for non resident hunters that would need a guide for Brown/griz bear, sheep and goats where a guide is required.. except that a non res may be accompained by a SDK rather then a paid guide... look up the current hunt suppliment and it will give some basics..

AS 16.05.407. Nonresident Hunting Big Game Animals Must Be Accompanied.

(a) It is unlawful for a nonresident to hunt, pursue, or take brown bear, grizzly bear, mountain goat, or sheep in this state, unless personally accompanied by

(1) a person who is licensed as

(A) a registered guide-outfitter or a master guide-outfitter under AS 08.54 and who is providing big game hunting services to the nonresident under a contract with the nonresident; or

(B) a class-A assistant guide or an assistant guide under AS 08.54 and who is employed by a registered guide-outfitter or a master guide-outfitter who has a contract to provide big game hunting services to the nonresident; or

(2) a resident over 19 years of age who is

(A) the spouse of the nonresident; or

(B) related to the nonresident, within and including the second degree of kindred, by marriage or blood.

(b) An applicant for a nonresident big game tag for the taking of an animal specified in (a) of this section shall first furnish to the state, on a form provided by the state, an affidavit showing that the applicant will be personally accompanied while hunting by a person who is qualified under the terms of (a) of this section. A person who falsifies the required affidavit is guilty of perjury under AS 11.56.200.

(c) [Repealed, Sec. 27 ch 71 SLA 1986].

(d) A nonresident who violates (a) of this section, or who fails to furnish an affidavit under (b) of this section, is guilty of a misdemeanor and upon conviction is punishable by imprisonment for not more than one year, or by a fine of not more than $5,000, or by both.

(e) [Repealed, Sec. 18 ch 37 SLA 1989].

(f) An applicant for a nonresident hunt permit for the taking of an animal specified in (a) of this section shall, if requested by the department, first furnish to the department proof of prior authorization to use federal, state, or private land where the permit hunt will occur. The authorization shall be provided to the applicant by the registered guide-outfitter or master guide-outfitter with whom the applicant has contracted to guide the permit hunt.

Note to HTML Version: This version of the Alaska Statutes is current through December, 2007.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    actually... SDK is for non resident hunters that would need a guide for Brown/griz bear, sheep and goats where a guide is required.. except that a non res may be accompained by a SDK rather then a paid guide... look up the current hunt suppliment and it will give some basics..
    Yes, Vince.

But the apps I have seen only have input for the guide info (read: $$$)...nothing about SDK, hence the question...
    Proud to be an American!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

i kinda gathered where you were going the first post frank...

do fill us in the blanks when all done.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I have always thought the SDK was about the stupidest regulation in Alaska. A fair amount stupider than the DLP regulation.......which going the full distance.

Quote Originally Posted by AGL4now View Post
    I have always thought the SDK was about the stupidest regulation in Alaska. A fair amount stupider than the DLP regulation.......which going the full distance.
    Stupid unless you move out of state.
    Although we might have some agreement on the first part there, AGL.
    I've killed most everything in Ak, but without SDK I'm stuck having to use a guide that I might leave in the dust on the way up the mountain or have to advise as to the legality of a ram that I am well certain of.
    In that regard I'm thankful for the SDK reg. In my case (and probably other seasoned ex-Alaskans here) it allows some recourse...

I'm used to $350 (gas and Fast Eddies) Dall hunts...$15K ain't happening.
    Proud to be an American!

The commit was not aimed at you, but to the whole system. Rather than Hi-jack this thread I'll start a new thread, and puke out my thoughts.

Thanks for clearing that up. I was thinking SDK for transfering a permit not for being a "guide" of the non-resident kindred.

If I remember correctly (3 years ago) when you fill out your draw permits as party or when the non res buys his locking tags, it will ask for the name of the resident relative. We always purchased on line licenses and tags.

Frank, did you figure it out? I'm doing my app online right now, and there is a box to check for guide or sdk, and then a text box underneath that where you will type in the name of your sdk. It looks like it's pretty straight-forward with the online app this year.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Frank, did you figure it out? I'm doing my app online right now, and there is a box to check for guide or sdk, and then a text box underneath that where you will type in the name of your sdk. It looks like it's pretty straight-forward with the online app this year.
    Yes, Brian.

I was missing that part of the equation. Thanks to everybody here for their input, I really appreciated it.
    Proud to be an American!

Good deal, Frank. Good luck on the drawing...unless, of course, you applied for the same hunts that I did. In that case, may great misfortune befall your application.

Quote Originally Posted by Brian M View Post
    Good deal, Frank. Good luck on the drawing...unless, of course, you applied for the same hunts that I did. In that case, may great misfortune befall your application.
    lol...yeah, yeah....and may the fleas of a thousand cam...oh...never mind.

G' luck to you too, Brian. Maybe one of these days we'll meet over a cold one....
    Proud to be an American!

Quote Originally Posted by fullkurl View Post

G' luck to you too, Brian. Maybe one of these days we'll meet over a cold one....
    I'd rather meet over a dead elk or mulie in your neck of the woods, but Ill take what I can get.