Thread: Kodiak deer hunt

Default Kodiak deer hunt

Went on a deer hunt with Alaska Coastal Marine. Stayed for 6 nights/7days on their boat. Had a great trip and we could not have been treated better. Hunting was tough. Deer were high up but we managed to get three in our party. We were hoping for snow this time of year. The main reason for my post is this. I underestimated the terrain and over estimated my physical condition. I had a year to prepare for this and did little to nothing as far as excercise. If I had been in better shape my hunting would have been more successfull I am sure. If you are planning a trip to Kodiak to hunt take it from a 48 year old who learned the hard way-get busy and hit that stair climbing machine!! Also I would stay away from Avis car rental in Kodiak-bad experience with them, had no problems with the other rental company.

What part of the island did you hunt?

We hunted Sula bay and deadmans bay.

what was up with the car rental agency?

Congrats on the 3 bucks.

your not alone, loads of folks every year get hit with "kodiak reality" aka brush,grass, hills, devils club, alders, and alders.
    i tell clients booking hunts get a stair stepper load your back pack, have the kids fire up the garden hose and the wife beat you with some car antennas while your climbing on the stepper....do that for half hour each day and you'll be ready for kodiak.
    it ain't for wimps down there. but alot of folks don't give it enough credit hearing stories about "easy" deer.
    just gotta do another trip now that you know how to really prep for it!!
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Quote Originally Posted by correctsc View Post
    We hunted Sula bay and deadmans bay.
    Correctsc....I would have pm'd you but you can't get pm's so I have to ask you here. I have hunted Sulua bay twice for browns, both in the spring, 1 time success, this spring not so lucky. I have always wondered about that place in the fall. What did you see for bears in the area? Did you happen to go up the valley, next to the creek above the lagoon?(cabin side of bay) This spring we saw very little sign of fish compared to 2005, what did you find if any? Did you get your deer in Sulua or Deadmans? I feel your pain, those mtns will kick your arrss, been there done that, but I loved every minute of it. Something about that place gets in your blood and keeps calling me back for more torture.....thanks.

Well I was there with him and his heart was all there, body had to remind him Mountains/Alders/Salmon Berry Brush High Winds and Rain are not forgiving though. Your advice is solid BRNBR. Having hunted the Island before, I was not able to articulate the physical condition required if the deer were not down low. Of course the experience is worth thousands of words or postings. The pictures do not even do it justice.
    I've hunted with many in the past and only go with very few anymore. I'll go again in a heartbeat with the OP, and the other guys that went and gave it all they had. We had a blast, and success is not always measured in dead animals. As far as Avis Rental,,(on Kodiak) not going to go negative details on the internet, but I am all in when we go back we will use Rent a Heap or someone else. Alaska Coastal along with Comfort Inn and Island Air did us right and not one negative to say. I can not wait till next year and dragging my good friends through another Jeffster Bucket list Adventure..lol Remember, Hunts don't get easier, as time passes along. As long as the fire still burns and the hunt still calls, keep doing it. Plenty of time for the couch when we check into the Senior Center.

We got back from a hunt with Alaska Coastal Marine 3 weeks ago and hunted that same area. Three of our party limited out with three each, one got two and the other took one. While it was a bit of work it wasn't that difficult a hunt.We took some deer low and some quite a ways from the beach and had some hauling to do-which is always work. The part about that hunt that I loved was I could hunt hard all day and then get back to the boat, take a hot shower and about then dinner was being served. Sleep in a warm bunch and wake up to breakfast being cooked. That beats the heck out of hunting out of a cabin or tent any day of the week. I'm 58yo and ready to do it again next year!

Attachment 42554
    Ruby at the end of a good day.