Thread: Brain splaat suprize.....

Default Brain splaat suprize.....

Took a ride this afternoon on the ol' Bearcat, mostly hunting wood, but while tossing logs down to the snowgo on the river below, a bunch of Caribou appeard WAAAAAAAAAAYYYYYYY down river, but after a 1/2 hour or so were apon us

Being above and in willows, they walked on by, and I sized up three fat ones for "us", though I dropped only two (only I brought a rifle) at about 50 feet, splatting brains on snow, The rest buched up and ran after the second shot, so that was that.
    2 was good, but took one home and the other 2 guys out wooding split the other,(we met by chance at the same trees, and decided to work three loads together) so I came out ahead.....seeing how I was still clearing branches, Koonuk was packing logs, so Mike took care of the "meats", but not quite the way I do them....oh well, he did the work, left in the liver, heart and tounge as well as leaving the skin on......(I skin 'em right away n Winter ,if possible) But I'm not complaining, I came home to Sheefish and rice anyway

The camera has a nasty shadow and the batteries sukk outside at -21.......so I stepped back and took this with my photo camera in my front room ~~LOL!!~~
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Another day at the office for you eh! I spent mine in a cubicle, hmmm?

Thanks for sharing.

Nice shot- Right in the Ole' Squash.

If the brains are in the snow, How do you get them in the eggs? Nicely done!

Quote Originally Posted by 257wby View Post
    If the brains are in the snow, How do you get them in the eggs? Nicely done!
    Reminds me of a time I ate them in a restaurant. We were in northern Mississippi, just south of Memphis, Tn. I was with my KY wife and in laws. They would not even try the brains and scrambled eggs. I put some ketchup on them and ate away. They almost got sick but really could not even tell the eggs from the brains. Never saw that again on a menu.

Nice job Stanger, keep the protein coming in.

Even your fresh meat is frozen.
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Fresh meat is what its about

We have enough at hand to get us through till Feburary or so, but a guy dosen't pass up the fresh stuff, 'cause you never know what circumstance is in the future.

Hunting Meat, Fur and heat is work just like a dude in a cubical, and 'work' is a four letter'd word in both places ~~LOL!!~~
    Today is a "Maintainance day" as my Carbs are iced and the bro inlaws got a coolant leak....... and freezing the tips of my fingers is a new experiance...again~~LOL!!~~...its the "season" and -29 bolts, parts and such, so Im busy getting the ride into shape.
    My last two years have been tear jerkers when it comes to machines.....its about time for "new" junk ~~LOL!!~~

The wifes inking a Ribbon Seal skin to trade for such, but shes been doing time in the Post and hasnt had much time, but "SOOOOOOON!!!" ~~LOL!!!~~

Now for more Coffee.......

Quote Originally Posted by strangerinastrangeland View Post
    Fresh meat is what its about

We have enough at hand to get us through till Feburary or so, but a guy dosen't pass up the fresh stuff, 'cause you never know what circumstance is in the future.

Hunting Meat, Fur and heat is work just like a dude in a cubical, and 'work' is a four letter'd word in both places ~~LOL!!~~
    Today is a "Maintainance day" as my Carbs are iced and the bro inlaws got a coolant leak....... and freezing the tips of my fingers is a new experiance...again~~LOL!!~~...its the "season" and -29 bolts, parts and such, so Im busy getting the ride into shape.
    My last two years have been tear jerkers when it comes to machines.....its about time for "new" junk ~~LOL!!~~

The wifes inking a Ribbon Seal skin to trade for such, but shes been doing time in the Post and hasnt had much time, but "SOOOOOOON!!!" ~~LOL!!!~~

Now for more Coffee.......
    These kind of stories make my imagination run wild! I would love to live your life but to be very honest, I'm not sure I'm man enough!

Thanks for sharing and good luck to you! Coming from a cubical in Iowa!Ha!

She was nice , fat and is very tasty

I'm sure anyone can do what I do, Im average.....not "Educated" or "Master this "or "Expert that " or "Old timer" or even "Certifyed", just a 25$ Hunting license, a favorite Rifle and a Family.
    Theres not much $$ in it, but its comfortable and rewarding.
    Give up materializm, having $$ or being sunny and warm all the time, and this way of life wouldnt bother a fella a bit.

Theres other rewards, and the experiance of doing for yourself is the best reward when you reflect back and see that size, weight or numbers dont mean diddly if your getting what you need to be comfortable.

The Hunting never stops. We may not be spilling blood every day, but besides family, we are always getting ready , clothing, tools, rides, $$ needed, ect.ect. for the next "phase"(Moons) and the hunts that we do at the appropriate time.
    We also know the alternatives if what were after isnt there or weather changes the plan......

Today was good, "got wood", as well, I found a very clean Muskox head sticking outta the frozen river bank, about 40 feet up, horns and all, must be a few thousand years old......too bad I had no ax(danm chainsaw ~~LOL!!~~).....so I'll go back soon.

I wonder who hunted him??? ~~LOL!!~~

Default right on

I miss having the caribou come down this far, fresh meat all winter. Transporters need to quit harrassing them during their migration down this way, let the first couple herds pass and many thousands more will follow.
    The emphasis is on accuracy, not power!

She was nice , fat and is very tasty

I'm sure anyone can do what I do, Im average.....not "Educated" or "Master this "or "Expert that " or "Old timer" or even "Certifyed", just a 25$ Hunting license, a favorite Rifle and a Family.
    Theres not much $$ in it, but its comfortable and rewarding.
    Give up materializm, having $$ or being sunny and warm all the time, and this way of life wouldnt bother a fella a bit.

Theres other rewards, and the experiance of doing for yourself is the best reward when you reflect back and see that size, weight or numbers dont mean diddly if your getting what you need to be comfortable.

The Hunting never stops. We may not be spilling blood every day, but besides family, we are always getting ready , clothing, tools, rides, $$ needed, ect.ect. for the next "phase"(Moons) and the hunts that we do at the appropriate time.
    We also know the alternatives if what were after isnt there or weather changes the plan......

Today was good, "got wood", as well, I found a very clean Muskox head sticking outta the frozen river bank, about 40 feet up, horns and all, must be a few thousand years old......too bad I had no ax(danm chainsaw ~~LOL!!~~).....so I'll go back soon.

><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><><>< >

Dang it you have done it, now ya go met missing that life style. My place was up in the SAWTOOTH MOUNTAIN RANGE just outside of Rampart off the Yukon River.

Made this 50 yd +/- shot from a steady rest against a tree yesterday. Sure is nice not to deal with bloodshot meat or a messy body cavity.

Now that what I'm talkin' 'bout ! Nice Deer!

The only true "DRT" shot

If you shoot Bull Caribou in the head this timma year, their antlers fly off with the impact ~~LOL!!~~

Nice tender Deer you got there, LG.

Stranger,

Did you get any pictures of him?

Ive got 'em in my furnace room, by the hot water maker.
    Too dark outside for any pictures......
    Seems the ancient ones had more sweep and width to their horns......this guys blow away any recent Ox by a couple feet, and I have a pile to compare to.

Ive just plain given up on pictures and such, Ive toasted the Camera I picked up from Forum memeber Kotzebue, as well, my latest camera has quite a shadow on it now, about 3/4 around the picture, and can only take 'em on the brightest lights....my vido camera Ive been filming hunting with takes films longer than 5 minutes, so photobucket dosent upload 'em, but I should just take a short vid....Ive just been keeping the vids on my computer this Summer/Fall and oonly putting out the shortys.

If I could upload the vids, Id have some of this summers and Fall Caribou hunting action , as well as a Blackbear getting turned into meat, (not me shooting allright)from shot to freezer, as the daughter used it for a class "Biology" project.
    My Blog deal dosent get 'em either. The comnnection times out and such, seems i can only watch 'em on mt computer. Bummer is that I have hundreds of hours of old stuff too.

Oh well, screw it. Someday Ill have it together, right now its just a hobby an for my kids.

Strange you have so much to share ,I need to find you a camera.You need to write a life long running book for the sake of future mankind .Who doesn't like reading those old trapper and mountain men writings?

The Itouch's been spoiling me, but it seems to be a summer gadget.. Films pretty good, but gets cold in a few minutes and dies, and seconds below zero, so maby I should pound out a book.....maby after this nonsense season, when its cold, dark and Im broke~~LOL!!~
    Ive got alotta material, just not sure how to put it together, it depends on the mood and the weather, and weather my ride is trusty or not, and if I feel like telling anyone what Im up to. Then, maby the camera, if I have a working one, or my fingers to key board.
    I really like taking pictures, and writing them up with an opinon or story has been my path so far, as far as chapters go....... I much preferr books to movies anyway., hence the internet. The wife thinks a book should teach ya something...so Im still thinking, and in no hurry.
    Im swinging my focus from video's to just pictures with a nice camera. no long exposure to the elements with those, and the batteries dont die mid filming, its just a 'Flash', and no fogging over mid filming either.
    Alot of what I have is on 8mm cassets, not really a computer friendly camera. Dont matter anyway. The thing is that the 8mm works at -20, and rain~~LOL!!~~ The cheap little apitek's seem to have lasted the longest when it come to plastic digitals in the cold and rain~~LOL!!~~I think ones in the works for Xmas (but dont tell Santa..)