Thread: Uyak Bay, Spirit of Alaska

Default Uyak Bay, Spirit of Alaska

Got back from an AWSOME week with Steele Davis with Spirit of Alaska out in Uyak bay yesterday. The snow was a little high, so only managed two deer myself. A doe, and an absolutely beautiful buck. Our party of five got seven deer and a fox between us all. Used my 22-250 loaded with 60 grain Noslers for both deer. I'd recommend Steele to anyone who wants to spend a great week in a truly amazing place!
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan from Wasilla

Nice pics, I would love to make a trip down there. It sounds fun. Did you have any bear encounters? Do you have a pic of the fox?

Anthony

Nice job young man fine looking deer! Might as well get a shoulder mount of that buck he is a dandy if it's your first. That doe will be some fine eating as well!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

saw one bear, and he was a couple hundred yards away. between us all we saw five, two being a sow with a cub. and thanks gooch! im not sure about the shoulder mount yet but were going to do something nice with that rack for sure. heres the fox.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Ryan from Wasilla

nice buck ryan! sounds like you had a good time, and came home with a trophy and a few lbs of meat. also looks like the weather was pretty good to you guys, cant wait to get down there to chase a few deer around!

Yeah, Congrats there A's Guy, on some Nice Animals and what sounds like a great hunt,

Got any more stats for us on your 22-250 kills? Like Distance and stuff? Especially on that Fox, did the hide fare well on the back side?

Glad to hear you loved that area, Kodiak is something else isn't it? But, where's the "easy snow driven Deer?" So, I gather you guys were up in the hills for the Deer
    Man, beside the wind, it's like September down here.

Oh, yes, That Buck's a Beauty, Good Job, Thanks for the pics
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Hunted Deadman and Sulua last week, worked for every deer we got (3) total and could have taken more. Snow was way up high and so were the Bucks. I got to admit after coming back, it was one of the tougher hunts I've been on for deer. The weather was night and day from Anchorage. Glad you guys had a good hunt. We did also and love that Island. You got yourself a real nice Buck Congrats !

the first deer (the doe) was at about 80 or 90 yards, off of my bipod. one shot did it that time! we were at about 1100 feet for that one. but the buck didnt come quite as easily. we had just come over a hill with some alders at the bottom. we were just about to sit down, when all of a sudden, out trots a buck, right up the next hill over! we tried to stop him with a few grunts and other miscellaneous noises so i could set up the bipod, but he had no plans of stopping! so i hit him once, standing from about 100 yards, right in the shoulder and it really didnt seem to slow him up, so i hit him again from the same position at about 120 yards, right behind the shoulder. he ran another hundred yards or so, over the hill, and piled up under a tree. for him, we were probably at about 500 feet. As for the fox, i didnt shoot it. one of our friends did. I know for sure he was using a .243, and im pretty sure he was using 100 grain noslers. Definitely one of the more challenging hunts i've been on as well. those alders really kill ya sometimes! Nevertheless, it was an awsome time, and i would LOVE to do it again soon. Its worth every bit of hard work and sweat i could ever put into it for sure!
    Ryan from Wasilla

you the man congrats

Whoa, Athletics,..... Sounds like some Seriously Good Offhand Shootin',.......... Well Done !!

Hope ya make it back again Soon
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Sounds like a great trip, congrats on a successful deer hunt!

Congrats on the hunt and Steele is a good guy. Uyak bay is one of my favorite places on Kodiak. Still no snow but its in the forecast...

Thanks for all the comments guys. We dropped the buck off at boondocks the other day to be scored for the contest. cant wait til we find out how big he is!
    Ryan from Wasilla

Quote Originally Posted by AK A's Fan View Post
    Got back from an AWSOME week with Steele Davis with Spirit of Alaska out in Uyak bay yesterday. The snow was a little high, so only managed two deer myself. A doe, and an absolutely beautiful buck. Our party of five got seven deer and a fox between us all. Used my 22-250 loaded with 60 grain Noslers for both deer. I'd recommend Steele to anyone who wants to spend a great week in a truly amazing place!

We were just there ourselves, must have left just before you came in. Also had a great hunt along with a charging bear encounter! Several nice bucks taken, filmed a great show and watched the Orca's play in the bay. A great place indeed. Thanks Steele!
    Alaska Outdoors Television ~ Outdoor Channel