Thread: Float hunting the Anvik

Default Float hunting the Anvik

I'm new to this forum...and need some help. Am planning a float hunt for 2012, and the Anvik river looks interesting....Anyone hunted it? My wish list (in order of preference) for my hunt is as follows: 1. Wilderness experience, 2. Good chance for either Moose or Caribou, 3. Good fishing, 4. Fly in float out. 5. Good chance for both Moose and Caribou. I have extensive big whitewater experience, and lots of Wilderness camping experience. If anyone has any ideas for other rivers that might better meet my wish list, please let me know. You can contact me off forum at ronsun25@yahoo.com if you would rather. Thanks, Ron

will be a good place for Moose, but I don't think any caribou.
    fishing is great with all kinds of variety to catch.
    Easy to navigate river with no rapids, there is a lodge on the river. and there are some commercial moose hunting operators .
    Lots of birds too, and should have good camping.
    need to check on native lands to make sure you are not trespassing when you get out on the banks.
    sounds like a great trip.
    good hunting
    Max
    When you come to a fork in the trail, take it!

Rentals for Canoes, Kayaks, Rafts, boats serving the Kenai canoe trail system and the Kenai river for over 15 years. www.alaskacanoetrips.com

Welcome to the forum jungle.....
    I would suggest you get a copy of the book Float Hunting Alaska's Wild Rivers, sold here on this site, written by Mike S..

dennis....

I have one, thats where I learned what I know about the Anvik...it looks like the type of hunt I would like, just looking for some personal experience before I go any farther in planning. Thanks, Ron

Like canoe said, not much for bou on that river. 2 best big game critter opportunities will be moose and griz. Should be black bears also.
    Hardest part of trip, I think, will be getting a fly in drop off. Probably going to have to get a carrier in Aniak. There are 2 there I think. Slight possibility of getting a drop from Hagelands out of Unalakleet.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

Ron,

You might contact Roger Seavoy in McGrath 1 (907) 524-3323 or Glenn Stout in Fairbanks 1 (907) 459-7242 concerning the caribou situation in there presently. Roger is the Area Biologist for GMU 21E, and Glenn (another ADFG Area Biologist) does some of the surrounding area. Glenn has longevity in there (he's based in Galena, but seems to spend more time in the Fairbanks office, which is the number I gave you).

The guys are correct. Some caribou are occasionally found in there, but it's not a large herd and they frequently bypass that Anvik drainage. I would consider caribou to be an incidental take on the Anvik presently.

When you go through that book, keep in mind that it contains only nonperishable data, that is, general species info, how to hunt the area, details about the river such as GMU, closest air charters, mileage, gradient, hazards and so forth. I deliberately stayed away from perishable data such as bull / cow ratios, herd strength, hunting pressure, water levels, etc. These items must be researched before each hunt, and a book written with that information would be out of date in a handful of years. Therefore, although I did say that caribou can be found in the area, and I did point out that their distribution in the Anvik is sketchy, you should research this. I would also recommend some study on the moose situation in there; bull / cow ratios, overall herd strength, hunting pressure (including locations of guide camps and whether they are doing float hunts or drop camps), etc. One thing I would recommend is to avoid guided drop-camps if possible. But this may be difficult on the Anvik, as there is (was?) at least one operator in there who was running airboats up the river. So you could run into those guys. Yes, you have as much a right to hunt state land in there as the next guy (including the guided hunter), but do you really want to put yourself on top of someone else if you can avoid it? It might happen even with the best research, but most of us would avoid situations like that if we could.

Take care, and best of luck with your hunt planning efforts!

-Mike
    LOST CREEK COMPANY: Specializing in Alaska hunt consultation and planning for do-it-yourself hunts, fully outfitted hunts, and guided hunts.
    CLICK HERE to send me a private message.
    Web Address: http://alaskaoutdoorssupersite.com/hunt-planner/
    Mob: 1 (907) 229-4501
    "Dream big, and dare to fail." -Norman Vaughan
    "I have climbed my mountain, but I must still live my life." - Tenzig Norgay