Thread: Regarding DirectTV/Cable, Cell phones etc...

Default Regarding DirectTV/Cable, Cell phones etc...

What is available for television services and are there problems with cell phones around the areas of Wasilla, Anchorage and Homer? Any input would be greatly appreciated.

No cell phone problems in those areas. You have a choice of AT&T, ACS, or GCI for cellular service. Both ACS & GCI (Alaskan companies) will give you the best service.

GCI provides cable TV service if you're "on the main road". Get too far off the main streets and you can forget about cable TV.

A satellite dish will get you a TV signal in any of those areas as long as you have a good southern sky view. Both Dish Network and DirectTV are available.

There are local channels via standard TV antenna.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I would stay away from AT&T very poor service. I live in the North Pole area and bought an AT&T phone. I only live six miles from the tower {moosecreek} and no bars. I went into the office to ask why. They outright told me. The more i spend on my AT&T bill the better service i will get from them. Needless to say once my year was up i told them to take their cell phone paper weight and shove it.

Default AT&T ain't all bad

On my way out hunting:

- my GCI cellphone went out of service 10 miles before I drove my truck into base camp (on the hwy).

- my net 10 phone went out of service about 2 miles up the trail via ATV

- and the guy I helped trailside (a member here) had cellphone signal 10 miles up trail where neither of my phones worked. He had AT&T.

Its a crime that they haven't been forced to cooperate with one another's repeaters, like landline phones have, as much as I hate gov'mt interventions.... They ought to compete on issues other than where in the wilderness their particular company has carved in a new repeater antenna.

Cell phones, or rather Iphones on AT&T. I spent the summer in Skwentna. A doctor from Wasilla flew in with his family for the weekend and his Iphone didn't work at all. Our Anchorage based backhoe operator had and Iphone and his worked great as long as he was outside of the buildings. My ACS phone worked great as long as I was outside. The site super had a GCI phone and it worked outside as well. Few phones worked inside the buildings. Smart phones did not support any data service out there.

Thanks for all your information. I guess I will need to know where in particular I am going to live before deciding on cell phone service, but good to know that I can get DirectTV which I have now in FL.

I have a basic Motorola cellphone from Consumer Cellular. Service was good from Anchorage to Healy, Anchorage to Homer, & the junction (Seward & Sterling) to Seward. Service was GREAT in Soldotna & Kenai. The only place I did not have complete service was in Cooper Landing- was very spotty there (at several places if I moved 30 feet in any direction I had service- GO FIGGUR!!!).

I will only say this once. NFL Sunday Ticket...If you like sports, outdoor programing, and high definition TV. Go with Derect Tv. I've had GCi and Dish network. They don't even compare.

Welcome to Alaska......"THE LAST FRONTIER"? LOL
    JOHN

Thanks for the info folks... very helpful! What about High Speed Internet in the same areas listed above and Sodoltna?

If you can get a residential phone line, you can probably get DSL. If you're in one of the cities, you'll have access. The further away your house is from a "hub" the lower your chances of DSL. For Soldotna, it will be ACS that provides the land line infrastructure and you can do a house address search to determine DSL availability. Can't speak to the Anchorage/Valley region.

The other high speed option is cable through GCI if you go with them for your TV service. The availability of TV cable is good in town, but drops off quickly once you get to the "burbs". Again with the Soldotna example, I can't get GCI cable at my house because the line ends 2 block away. If there were more houses on my street, they might expand, but as I'm up against the wilderness, I'm pretty much at the end of the road and don't expect they'll ever push the line down this way.

Of course there is always satellite, which you can get pretty much anywhere that the physical terrain will allow.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!