Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lost POW Hunter Found - Troopers no help

Default Lost POW Hunter Found - Troopers no help

SO here is an article that was posted on MSN today about a fella that got lost here in Coffman this weekend.

Coast Guard, troopers work together to rescue hunter

The Coast Guard joined forces with Alaska State Troopers to rescue an injured hunter Saturday morning. Officials say friends of 56-year-old Arthur David reported him missing Friday on Prince of Wales Island.

David was hunting with friends on the northeast side of the island in Coffman Cove, and didnít return to a meeting point on schedule.

The Coast Guard launched a helicopter rescue crew to search the area. A volunteer search-and-rescue team on the ground found David at about 6:30 a.m. Saturday with a possible broken ankle.

He was flown to Sitka and treated.

Truth be told he was a tough old fella who made it through a chilly night up on the mountain in Coffman. His friends found his truck with his son in it and started a search after he didn't return at dark.

KUDOS go to Klawock Search and Rescue, the Coast Gaurd, and all the locals who tromped through the reprod in the dark looking for him. Eventually he was found in the early AM by 2 local guys and they radioed for help from the CG chopper and locals. A couple of local guys packed in their 046's to cut a pickup area for the chopper and it was a smooth rescue.

Funny part - the Troopers didn't even show up (again) and the logistics was handled by the KSR and local folks along with the CG. Funny how they get credit. They did however show up at 3 PM the following day to get reports ;-)

Happy ending, nice job locals and CG.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Glad the guy made it and was found. It would have been a bad time getting stuck out in the storm that came today. Good reminder for us all to leave a fairly detailed plan with somebody and then stick to it, so we can be found quickly if we break a bone or get lost.

Need help in the bush?........." the Troopers didn't even show up (again)"....... Gotta do it yourself, for the most part.

At least when they dont show up (again) I wont take it personal, seems to be the same all over...........

Glad it turned out well enough, for sure.
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Pretty self-sufficient here too Stranger, I was making light of the fact the troopers put themselves in the limelight for the rescue again and failed to show up.

270 - very true on having a plan, when my guys go out I try to get at least an idea of where they will be. So far I am 2 for 2 on rescues!
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Glad to hear he was found. The Air Station flew all night on that search and it's truly rewarding when it all comes together.

I work for the Air Station in Sitka and today we were diverted on a flight near Juneau to search for 2 missing hunters. After about an hours of searching Douglas Island in a hover in blowing snow and rain, there they were, marching through about 3 feet of snow headed down the mountain. They spent the night out with nothing but the clothes on their backs and a fire they miraculously started. We hoisted them to the helo and flew them to Juneau, no serious injuries, mild hypothermia.
    It feels good to get out there and help fellow outdoorsman. The CG will always be there to help, no questions ask.

Came together beautifully CTP, the CG are animals on these rescues. One funny note to the rescue, the helo found a set of tracks in an area that could have been the hunter. HEAVY reprod with a few openings. So they sent a local guy into the cut with a VHF to get him on the tracks. This dude is 280#, chain smokes, but has a heart of gold. He thinks he is going to find the guy blasts in there and finds the tracks. His line over the VHF was priceless - "The tracks you saw are from a family of marten. Man I didn't know marten ran in packs..."
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Well the extremely grateful Mr. David is resting comfortably back in Anchorage tonight (well as comfy as you can with a totalled ankle). He is seeing an orthopedic surgeon in the morning to get him pieced back together and yes he is an extremely tough (and stubborn) guy!

Just though you all may want to know.

Sounds great! I met his son getting on the plane and took Gordy back up to get the rig, glad he will be OK. Tough dude, it was cold that night.
    Mike
    www.coffmancoveak.com
    Prince of Wales Island

Does any one know the rules?
    What happens to the hunters gear? Does he leave the rifle behind? What if he has game down and a broken leg? Does the game stay on the mountain? Good case for wanton waste if it does.

"What if he has game down and a broken leg? Does the game stay on the mountain? Good case for wanton waste if it does"

Probly has to go get it, if possible. Im sure he'd wantto, or it was recoverd by the rescuers.

In such circumstance, I doubt that he would be charged if he had Meat on the ground, he has obvious life threatening injurys that kinda keep such charges from being filed.

Then again....Who knows what a Lawyer will do........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Good case for wanton waste if it does.
    You're joking right? Guy falls, has a broken ankle, spends the night on the mountain. Then when they find him and get him back to civilization; YOU want to charge him with a misdemeanor for wasting meat?

Wow. That's pretty messed up.

Quote Originally Posted by Roland on the River View Post
    Does any one know the rules?
    What happens to the hunters gear? Does he leave the rifle behind? What if he has game down and a broken leg? Does the game stay on the mountain? Good case for wanton waste if it does.
    Adjectives for WANTON: Careless, Heedless, Unjustifiable, Immoral, Groundless, Needless, Outrageous, Reckless, Unscrupulous.

An injured man being evacced by helo doesn't have a lot to say about what happens to his gear and meat...even if he had to leave 600 pounds of prime moose for the bears...so I'm guessing a ticket for WW is a long shot.

The rescue helo must leave all gear and meat behind. It is illegal to transport via helicopter in Alaska; CG and Guard choppers are included in this.

Way to go CtP!

I'll drag you out into the woods anytime.

Now get some rest, you earned it.

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    You're joking right? Guy falls, has a broken ankle, spends the night on the mountain. Then when they find him and get him back to civilization; YOU want to charge him with a misdemeanor for wasting meat?

Wow. That's pretty messed up.
    There was a similar case recently, on I believe a goat hunt on the Kenaii Pen. where the partner who went for help was charged with wanton waste. Don't remember all the details.

I believe it was discussed here at AOD
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

You are totally correct twodux... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=goat+wanton

However, the article says nothing about whether this guy (glad you are o.k.) even shot a deer.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    You are totally correct twodux... http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...ht=goat+wanton

However, the article says nothing about whether this guy (glad you are o.k.) even shot a deer.
    Thanks for the link Doug. I was just replying to the (what if) situation, that was being bantered about.
    An opinion should be the result of thought, not a substitute for it.
    - Jef Mallett

No problem. I was responding more to Roland on that last part.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Kinda reminds me of the gal who slid off the road on black ice and down an embankment, totaled her new truck, and got hurt. Trooper showed up and was nice enough to give her a ticket for driving too fast for the conditions. Ouch!

Quote Originally Posted by Gooch View Post
    Funny part - the Troopers didn't even show up (again) and the logistics was handled by the KSR and local folks along with the CG. Funny how they get credit. They did however show up at 3 PM the following day to get reports ;-)
    Who do you think will pay for it? The Troopers. Always gotta pat the "funding agency" on the back for their "efforts".

While I agree, their assistance is usually minimal, it's usually for good reason: We don't need their non-expert butts up there trying to be heros. Let the CG use their skills and abilities (since they are WAY better trained than AST in this department).
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast