Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast

Thread: Sheep hunting north of Eagle

Default Sheep hunting north of Eagle

I was looking for some general info about sheep hunting north of Eagle and was wondering if anyone had some info on the area? A friend of mine fly it a few years ago and he reportred seeing a few sheep. Some white ones and some grey ones.

There are apparently some dall and fannin ( I think) sheep on the ridges above the upper Kandik, Nation rivers and that area. I know a guide who used to do a few sheep hunts in that area.
    Maybe it's a well kept secret as haven't seen any posts here about successful hunts from that area.
    I can't help being a lazy, dumb, weekend warrior.......I have a JOB!
    I have less friends now!!

There are Dalls/Fannins on the fingers of the Oligive mountains that protrude across the Canadian border into Alaska north of Eagle ... the problem is that the Doyon Corp has claimed all that land that could potentially hold any sheep and they do not allow noncorp hunters to hunt on Doyon Land.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

That is a bit of a bummer about the Doyon Corp putting a claim on all of the land in that area. I was hoping to do some sheep prospecting in that area. Any ideas on work kind of a river the Tatonduk is to run? I guess a person could always ask about permission on the land if they do have claim to it. If denied I guess I look so where else.

Thanks for the replies

Doyon will NOT give you permission to hunt their lands.

Default Go a bit further.

Go to the library and check out
    Selected Alaska Hunting and Fishing Tales volume 3 by Alaska Northwest Publishing.
    Read about Jim Whisenhunt floating down the Charley River. Now substitute the Nation and think of the same kind of hunting. You have many people who have seen legal rams from the Nation River and think of it as a pocket style hunt. You might get one and you might not but most people who hunt those lowland (hill type) sheep don't look for sheep during moose hunts. It is a style of Sheep hunting that is a bit different.

Then research from Bios.

Nuff said.

Remember that hunting forest type Sheep is a hit and miss endeavor.
    I have a cousin who shot a pig there.
    sincerely,
    Thomas

Thanks for the the hints. I will investigate this further and see if I can put something together.

Quote Originally Posted by kaboku68
    You have many people who have seen legal rams from the Nation River and think of it as a pocket style hunt.
    No disrespect intended here, but I can tell you with 100% certainty that you will not ever see any sheep from the Nation River unless you want to climb way up one of the outcroppings on the west bank with a powerful spotting scope and focus on the Olgilvies right along the border to the east 5 long miles away. You could see some that way <grin>. FYI, the Nation is a completely different river than the Charley, not even close in comparison.

Here is what that looks like in spring, looking east toward the Olgilvies from Step Mountain:

I've hiked up there from the Nation before, miserable tundra swamp terrain. That was back when you could hunt sheep up there if you weren't a Doyon shareholder, or a non-resident hunter paying a guide with Native ties (like Brian, Mike <grin>).

No sheep on the Kandik either until you get well into Canada and up into that finger of the Olgilvies.

Still some on the Charley though if you're willing to work for them up high.

What land Did Doyon Claim as I have hunted north of Eagle in 2001 and Got a Fannin Sheep but it was open land there then. Planning another trip this year and hope they did not claim the area I hunted in

Quote Originally Posted by itchibon69 View Post
    What land Did Doyon Claim as I have hunted north of Eagle in 2001 and Got a Fannin Sheep but it was open land there then. Planning another trip this year and hope they did not claim the area I hunted in
    ive been looking at this area for this year as well for a option this fall, heres a site with the map and info, it covers the entire state. looks like the only way to get there is by flight, pm me itchibon69 i have more info. www.doyon.com/corporate_profiles/ancsa.aspx

Where's the map? They don't hold that huge chunk that is shown on their website, that's just the area they selected from. Burns me up that a corp the size of Doyan can't bother to put up a map of selected and conveyed lands if they really want us to not trespass.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Where's the map?
    Go to the lands section. There is a drop down menu there with detailed topos.

Id say screw Doyon.....Oil companies shoudlnt be allowed to claim that much land, and if they do, it should be open to alaska residents for recreational usage...i say get a petition goin and force a proposal like that on them.

Release Lake Trout

Actuallt Doyan is a Native corporation. I am not deending them, but they selected those lands. We sold our souls to get a pipeline and now we arer paying for it. So those are private lands and they don't have to give us access.

hmmm understood......for some reason i thought they were a down south oil company....my mistake

Release Lake Trout

LOL...easy there big guy... Doyon is a pretty good sized player in the oil industry, but they are a Native Corporation. The land issue was settled long ago and we have to live with it.

Chisana- Thanks for encouraging me. That is a pretty difficult site to navigate, but if I click the "overview" links enough times it comes up.

Quote Originally Posted by polardds View Post
    Actuallt Doyan is a Native corporation. I am not deending them, but they selected those lands. We sold our souls to get a pipeline and now we arer paying for it. So those are private lands and they don't have to give us access.
    yes we did! and now a area will be lost for the use of the public till its changed, i agree a proposal will some day be brought forth, and alot of laws in the state will have to change first, and it aint gana happen with the current whitehouse staff, congessional deligates and the dept of interior or officials like Ken salazar. its gana take a national movement to turn this around, at the congressional level, maybe in my life time!

Quote Originally Posted by itchibon69 View Post

Got a picture of your sheep? I'd love to see a fannin from Alaska.

yes we did! and now a area will be lost for the use of the public till its changed, i agree a proposal will some day be brought forth, and alot of laws in the state will have to change first, and it aint gana happen with the current whitehouse staff, congessional deligates and the dept of interior or officials like Ken salazar. its gana take a national movement to turn this around, at the congressional level, maybe in my life time!
    I doubt it. It's private land. No going back. If the laws were changed every private property owner in America should be very afraid.

Heres one picture/Users/troy/Desktop/96990008_163.jpg

Page 1 of 3 123 LastLast