Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Shotguns whaddaya use, what're your favorites?

Default Shotguns whaddaya use, what're your favorites?

Seen threads lately for 'what's your first gun, favorite rifle, most used handgun, what if you could only have three' type threads, but don't see a lot of mention about sporting use of shotguns, other than as a bear protection tool.
    I personally really enjoy upland bird hunting, the best I got into was in the mid-70's when I was stationed at Great Falls (Malmstrom AFB).
    First hunting trip was after pheasants with my Dad and Granddad on his farm. That was back when I think he left a bit of grain on the ground for the birds and deliberately left brush borders around his fields for cover. Nowadays around here, the fields are harvested to the edge of the road, and there's nothing left. Not many birds, either, but it's still fun to get out and wander around.
    My shotgun wants/needs have been fairly narrow. It's only been in the last five or six years that I've finally got 'round to using a 20 ga, and a semi-auto gas gun, at that. Just don't enjoy getting pounded if I don't have to, you know?
    What're your favorites? At the moment, it's my 20 ga. 1100 LT Special, 28" modified with vent rib, close second is a gun I let slip down the road, an older 16 ga. M37 Ithaca with a factory solid rib, mid bead, upgraded wood buttstock and grooved forend, also a 28" modified. Loved that gun.
    I still really enjoy getting out and going a few rounds of skeet. Not competitive anymore, but it's still fun. For that, I've got an older 1100 SB Skeet that I bought from J&G when they were still in Montana. Never could shoot an over and under well, so I stayed with what worked...
    What do you use? What're you looking for? How do you use 'em?

Default shotguns

Remington 870 Express........have a 12 and 20 in the combo. have another 12 gauge, also a 16 and 410.....Had a old pump when i was young and just like using pump shotguns....i use them for quail. duck, geese, and with the combos, put the deer rifle barrel on and use it for deer hunting sometimes....i have an over and under my kids gave me one year, and just can't seem to shoot as well with it.......to old to teach maybe...

Wink

When I hunt the the salt marshes for ducks or geese a Benelli nova, for pheasants it"s a remington 11- 87, grouse it's Ruger red label ,all 12 gauges. If I had to choose only one gun it would have to be a remington 870 wingmaster 3 in. chamber, mod. choke. Bill.
    ; for them that honour me I will honour, and they that despise me shall be lightly esteemed. 1 SAMUEL 2;30

Default shotguns

Well I own an 870 that I recently made into a dedicated slug gun so thats out as far as birds are concerned!
    I also own a nice Belgium Browning 16g.... That being said the Stevens in the pic is the one that stays in the truck and is the grouse gun I grab....
    Named her Mabel.....

ciao y'all....

reuben....

Default Benelli

I hunt with a benelli supper black eagle, I have 4 shotguns and this is by far the best I have ever know, Can shoot2 3/4, 3 and 3 1/2 inch shells and cycle great. I use it for evderything from upland, waterfowl and even skeet.

Charles Daily...i Have 2 Semi Auto 12 Guages...put'em Both Thru Hell From North Dakota To Alaska...cheap, Reliable, And I'm Not Scared To Use 'em.

Default Remington 1100 Camo

I'm fairly new to duck hunting and hunting in general, but have had good luck with this 12 gauge. I bought a pretty little CZ 28 gauge for upland birds and have had some fun shooting skeet with that also.

Bethel, Cantwell, Fort Yukon, Skagway, Chevak and Point Hope

Remington SP-10, Remington 11-87 and an Ithaca Mag-10.

Winchester model 1300 black shadow 12 gauge. I use it pretty much just for waterfowl.

I only have 3 shotguns left. I had to sell a couple and my old 870 wingmaster went first. Figures...

I still have my old
    1.Remington M-1100 12 gauge, with two barrels and two stock sets.
    2. Tobin Arms 12 Gauge side by side 28 inch barrels full and full, circa 1905.
    3. Winchester 1895 12 guage, circa 1910, 20 inch barrel.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default Ithaca M37 would be the favorite....

My first shotgun, and I still have it, is a 16 ga M37 Ithaca w/adjustable choke. The gun was well used when I got it, I think I was around ten years old. I remember being deathly scared to shoot it, chickened out a few times, but after that first shot there was no turning back!

That shotgun and a Winchester 190 .22 and an old British 303, and a bb gun was my arsenal as I was growing up and the shotgun came in number two as getting fired the most behind the 22.

With it I have shot a host of things. Squirrels of all kinds, rabbit, birds, groundhogs, feral cats, wild dogs, coyotes, lots and lots of crows, maybe even a deer, I can't remember for sure. I shot a lot of trees, some until I blew them in half, cans, bottles, boards, you name it. I thought it was capable of anything!

Sometime in my teens I felt I owed it some rejuvination and decided to refinish the stock and reblue it. The stock turned out fair, the cold blue job was, well, not too good. It did look better than when I started and I learned a lot, so I considered it a grand success. After that it survived a house fire and now sits in the safe and I never seem to shoot it anymore.

I liked it so well ("loved it" would be more appropriate wording), I even bought a used M37 riot gun w/cyl bore in 12 ga when I was eighteen, I thought it was so cool. That purchase was kind of like getting your first girl in the bushes. I wanted it so bad, but then when I got it I didn't know what to do with it! I doubt I've shot a box of shells through the 12 ga since I bought it.

Thanks for rekindling the old memories... I need to get those Ithacas out and a few boxes of shells and let my 12 year old son and the neighbor boy have a fun afternoon shootin' saplings, cans, maybe some crows....

My first shotgun, was, and still is, my sentimental favorite. It was a Winchester model 12 in 16 ga. Still like to track it down. Traded it in for a Winchester 1200 12 ga.back in 1967 that I still have.
    My current favoriteit is a Benelli Nova 12 ga. 26" barrel.

Ruger Red Label 20 ga. 7/8 oz #7 1/2's for released birds. Traditions over under 12 ga. 1 1/4 oz of #2 steel for wild SD pheasants where the shots are long. 11 87 supermag for waterfowl. I prefer the two different chokes you can get by using doubles. I'm sort of slow on the second shot so having three or more shots is meaningless because even big old slow pheasants are out of range if I miss twice. My son-in-law likes my Baikal sxs in 20 and 12. They are really solid guns that fit him well.

Mine has to be my Winchester 101 12 gauge. My grandfather bought it new in the 60's, used it so much he wore the bluing off hunting quail in TX then passed it on to me. Its been all over and shot just about everything. Can't be the handling or reliability. I had it refinished 10 years ago in a mate black.

red label 12ga for wild phesants and big blues, a 20ga cz ringneck for all the smaller stuff......kinda funny, I like light rifles and heavy shotguns...go figure. I shoot a 1300 turkey special and an 870 for grouse off the quad, a 20 h&r is always under the set just because.

Marlin singleshot 12. It was my first gun and i love it. Its made me a good shot too. You make every shot count when you only have one chance.

I basically only use 2 shotguns these days. I have a 12ga Winchester 1300 with a 22" barrel for my "beater gun." I got that gun as a Christmas gift when I was a kid and I can hit things with that gun that I can't touch with other guns. It may be as ugly as sin but the thing just fits me. I also have a Beretta Silver Pigeon II in 20ga 28" barrels. It is a beautiful shotgun and has wood that is nicer than anything I have seen on a Beretta o/u for under 4k. I shoot pretty well with it, but I'm certainly not as deadly with it as I am the Winchester.

red label 12 ga, 26" tubes. unfortunately, it's just too pretty to spend much time in the tundra with it. it's a limited run of stainless over walnut, i don't want to wreck it, so i'm looking around for a beater. thinking i might try a stoeger or something. i've used pumps and autos, really prefer the feel and balance of doubles.

Beretta 391, have had it for years and I love it.

Doug

An 870 Remington with a slug barrel with Rifle sights. Only wish it had a thumb saftey instead.
    Formerly known as one who clings to guns and religion

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast