Thread: Snow Covering Traps... How Much Is Too Much?

Question Snow Covering Traps... How Much Is Too Much?

At what point do you decide that there is too much snow covering your traps for them to be effective? Obviously there are lots of variables, such as wet vs. dry snow, ambient temps being steady or bouncing all over the place, etc. so it's not going to be a hard and fast rule of 1" good, 3" bad, but what are the opinions out there on your own personal sets?

We're in the eastern interior, similar country to Bushrat, but a couple hundred miles down the border and every bit as remote... LOVE your posts and pics, BR... very informative! Keep them coming and stay safe out there!

More important, IMO, is the type or size of trap.

A MB750 or Alaskan #9 will come up thru quite a bit of snow, I've had 1/2" of icy crust render my smaller traps inoperative. They may still fire but a fox could have danced on the pan and not set them off. So its two issues, one is will the trap fire and the other is, will it come up thru the snow adequately to make a catch....

From a practical standpoint, dry snow, I would say 3-4" is probably the magic number...but if theres any freeze/thaw, maybe 1/2-1"...

just my 2c based on my limited foothold experience...

Quote Originally Posted by dkwarthog View Post
    More important, IMO, is the type or size of trap.

A MB750 or Alaskan #9 will come up thru quite a bit of snow, I've had 1/2" of icy crust render my smaller traps inoperative. They may still fire but a fox could have danced on the pan and not set them off. So its two issues, one is will the trap fire and the other is, will it come up thru the snow adequately to make a catch....

From a practical standpoint, dry snow, I would say 3-4" is probably the magic number...but if theres any freeze/thaw, maybe 1/2-1"...

just my 2c based on my limited foothold experience...
    yup. agree 100%. x2
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

You don't mention if you are using a pan cover or not. I like less snow like 1/2- 1 1/2 inches max but have a lot of freeze thaw through the winter, enough of it to stick a #9 down solid with just a couple inches on it. I have tried about every pan cover out there I like crumpled wax paper. Some use coffee filters but they tend to absorb water and ice up sometimes sticking to the pan. On #9s I like white plastic bags little 3 gal trash can ones usually fit just right on a #9 the problem with them on smaller traps is the snow likes to slide off and so they take more snow to cover effectivley and in my area that means more frozen traps.
    meats meat don't knock it till you try it

Using crumpled wax paper below and above to kinda sandwich the trap between the layers. Mainly using Victor #4 traps - primary target is coyote since there are about a gazillion of them wiping out our game populations. I've been hunting Alaska for about 20 years, but just getting started in the whole trapping universe, so ANY advice is appreciated. I did manage to get my hands on a copy of the ATA Wolf Trapping Manual, so I'm only stumbling into this about 99% blind!