Thread: wasted deer on POW

Default wasted deer on POW

there was sevral deer founed on POW with just the heart and or back straps missing. there has been sevral peaple cought going back to ketchikan with a truck load of deer. they came over on the ferry the night befor and left the next morning never seen the light of day and have sevral deer in the truck. if you know any thing about this please report it to the fish and game. I i live on POW and I depend on deer meat to get threw the winter and this wast just berns me up.

Yeah it pisses me off too. Any other clues you might have? I'm sure there a crime stopper reward too

Fin, Fur and Feathers just needs to set up a couple of Robo-Deer next to the highway and monitor them thru the night.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Fin, Fur and Feathers just needs to set up a couple of Robo-Deer next to the highway and monitor them thru the night.
    They do. Not sure how many people they've caught this year. I seen they got some kids from POW this year. And a father/son from Wasilla for spotlighting.

Maybe they need a real snoopy type to start checking vehicles on the out going ferry. Personally I think the best thing that can happen to a jacklighter is to start shooting at a deer and suddenly someone is shooting at him. Yeah, I know, illegal but I would be very suprised if they ever come back.

Quote Originally Posted by chris112 View Post
    Maybe they need a real snoopy type to start checking vehicles on the out going ferry. Personally I think the best thing that can happen to a jacklighter is to start shooting at a deer and suddenly someone is shooting at him. Yeah, I know, illegal but I would be very suprised if they ever come back.
    Good Lord man! are you advocating winging lead in the direction of a person just because you think he or she may be poaching? Thats just crazy talk... Hmm no location on your avatar

hope youre not serious, that sounds like a good way to get someone killed in a hurry, and i dont mean them?

well at least they are takin some of the meat, i have seen deer out the road here in juno and all that is missin is the horns.........

I think every area in SE AK has problems with wanton waste. It's a shame.

Do ya think the Feds are involved............??

The again it could be Aliens...... Was ther blood all missing or <> shaped cuts in the hides? Udders missing??

Mighta been that Old Lady with the .22 again........
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Maybe they need a real snoopy type to start checking vehicles on the out going ferry.
    Uhhh.. they do that too. Especially early in the Season. Personally, my tags have been checked every single time I've come back on the ferry.

Quote Originally Posted by 270ti View Post
    I think every area in AK has problems with wanton waste. It's a shame.
    Fixed.

Quote Originally Posted by L. G. View Post
    Yup, they do that.
    Quote Originally Posted by bentfin View Post
    there was sevral deer founed on POW with just the heart and or back straps missing. there has been sevral peaple cought going back to ketchikan with a truck load of deer. they came over on the ferry the night befor and left the next morning never seen the light of day and have sevral deer in the truck. if you know any thing about this please report it to the fish and game. I i live on POW and I depend on deer meat to get threw the winter and this wast just berns me up.
    Course the guy in Craig who makes a night run from Whale Pass to his house comes home with 5 or 6 does in the bed of his truck gets overlooked because he's a local and "depends" on the deer meat to get him through the winter, so everyone around town thinks that's ok. Huge double standard on POW in my experience. Do they think people from ketchikan come over and shoot a bunch of spikes and forkies because they are trophy hunting? They "depend" on the meat too.

If the guys going back to Ketchikan had a "truckload" of deer, seems to me they couldn't possibly be the ones taking just the heart and backstraps. Otherwise they would have a "truckload" of heart and backstraps, not deer. I would bet you 100$ that they people taking just the heart and straps are POW locals... probably already tagged out (if they tagged anything to begin with)

Quote Originally Posted by icb12 View Post
    Uhhh.. they do that too. Especially early in the Season. Personally, my tags have been checked every single time I've come back on the ferry.

Fixed.

Yup, they do that.

Course the guy in Craig who makes a night run from Whale Pass to his house comes home with 5 or 6 does in the bed of his truck gets overlooked because he's a local and "depends" on the deer meat to get him through the winter, so everyone around town thinks that's ok. Huge double standard on POW in my experience. Do they think people from ketchikan come over and shoot a bunch of spikes and forkies because they are trophy hunting? They "depend" on the meat too.

If the guys going back to Ketchikan had a "truckload" of deer, seems to me they couldn't possibly be the ones taking just the heart and backstraps. Otherwise they would have a "truckload" of heart and backstraps, not deer. I would bet you 100$ that they people taking just the heart and straps are POW locals... probably already tagged out (if they tagged anything to begin with)
    the guys coming over from ketchikan are probly the most likely to do it. they are shorter on time to hunt and they can fill acooler full of doe back traps and heart icase the dont get a buck and go home empty handed. i dont care who is doing it I just hope they get cought and never get to hunt in alaska agin.. im not saying all POW resedents are law abiding citezens I know of sevral locals that shot robocop at night. and it may be locals that are doing it. but if its ketchikan peaple doing it dont come over here and wipe out our deer like they did in ketchikan. the locals that break the law on pow probly dont care but the law abiding resadents do.

Quote Originally Posted by bentfin View Post
    but if its ketchikan peaple doing it dont come over here and wipe out our deer like they did in ketchikan.
    hahaha..

Your deer?? Last i checked they were open game for anyone in the State. You are epitomizing the standard POW philosophy.

Some interesting Reading for you:
    http://www.fs.fed.us/pnw/pubs/gtr581.pdf

Note that history has led us to the conclusion that the number of "POW resedent" hunters nearly doubles that of "ketchikan peaple".
    If anyone is wiping out the deer it's us. Oh yes.. I'm a POW resident. I maintain an address in Hollis.

I will agree with you that there are unlawful people everywhere. Knowing that.. why the rush to blame Ketchikan residents?

Default the guys coming over from ketchikan are probly the most likely to do it

With tags getting checked when boarding the ferry, or the local just driving it to the freezer, better look in you own back yard buddy. Locals on POW have been blaming K-town for their problems for years. Just look around and see how many rigs have a rifle AND spotlight on the front seat, DUH!!!! If you are blaming K-town for the problems, help enforcement out and call em in when you see the rigs with the rifle and spotlight. I think you will find the numbers will show your neighbors are more of a problem than K-town. I have hunted both K-town and POW, it's pretty clear where the problem is.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.

The POW Massacer.........

If all else fails, You can always get all the Old folks (60+) together and publicly accuse them of doing it, and if they dont give a full confession, then publicly accuse them as well for covering up for their kids.

Been done before, but we gotta hurry before the men in Black cover it up.....

You know we know, ya know......
    If you can't Kill it with a 30-06, you should Hide.

"Dam it all", The Beaver told me.....

Dang, you Ketchikan and POW people better not come over here to Kodiak and start messing up our deer herd next!!

Maybe the real advantage of having almost NO Roads on Kodiak, in comparison to Prince of Wales where there are Roads Everywhere from the heavy Loggin days, I mean backroads, Everywhere.

Cool for access, but it's too easy to hunt from the Pickup for some, I guess ?
    So, the Kodiak Wildlife Refuge and lack of roads,........ as much as it may seem a bummer to be only Marine or Air access to most of the Island and Deer, etc. pretty cool for "keeping it remote."

Might be a good consideration for other Alaskans considering their opinion on "Major Mining Projects" in their area, thinking all those access roads would be nice,........ Maybe........

It is interesting tho, POW still has Deer, big ones too, and Black Bear, BIG ones, and Wolves, etc. Galore.....
    So must not be too easy.
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Poaching is poaching, and it doesn't matter where you are from it's wrong. but the wanton waste part really makes my blood pressure go up.

thats always the trick access vs. remote hunt. Trying to find a balance so there is reasonable access, while still keeping some nice remote areas is a delicate balance. As a state wide average I think we are way short on access for those without a plane. But some areas are pretty opened up.

As a side note increased access doesn't always have to mean less game. especially for deer. I grew up in Maine with logging roads everywhere, and dear and moose are thick as fleas. just requires a different management approach. browse eating critters love logging areas it means lots of new food all the time.
    60% of men don't know what they have until they lose it
    15% aren't sure but figure it's better than nothing
    25% know exactly what they have and would do anything to lose it or give it to someone else

That is just wrong period

"browse eating critters love logging areas it means lots of new food all the time."

Thanks to Clinton, S.E. logging has come to a screeching halt. There goes all that fresh browse.
    Even a jackass won't stumble on the same stone twice.