Thread: 8mm Rem Mag

Default 8mm Rem Mag

I bought a used Remington 700, 8mm Rem Mag with a factory installed muzzle brake. I'm considering having the darn thing removed since the noise while hunting is an issue. (double ear protection on the range). So does anyone have a view on the recoil after the removal? I also have a .375H&H that I have no recoil problems with but I was wondering if its similar or sharper like the .300 Win Mag.

Bill,

I wouldn't think recoil would be an issue based on your own admissions about your 375 H&H not giving you any problems. I have no experience with the 8mm Rem but it started life in the 375H&H case and shoots lighter bullets than the 375.

I think it would be somewhat comparable to a .325WSM as far as ballistics and felt recoil. I imagine someone in your area may own a 325 and might be wiling to give you a few shots for comparison.

I don't have an 8mm Magnum, but I do have both a 300 and 340 Weatherby Magnum, very similar in case capacity to the 8mm Remington in fact 340 brass can be made from it. It is a Mark V Synthetic and without a brake, but the recoil while stout is not objectionable. After a box or so from the bench it gets to be a bit much, but shooting from field positions or standing is no problem at all. I hope this helps and good luck with the rifle it should be a good one.

How heavy is the gun? My .375H&H kicks no worse than a 12ga. with birdshot and less than a 12ga. with 3-1/2 inch mags, however it is a 10lb. gun, I've talked to guys who have traded off .375s because they kicked too hard but they were 7.5lb. guns...

Recoil from an 8mag is comparable to a 338 win or 340wby. Perhaps just a bit sharper. Dad has one in an older BDL we've shot a bit over the years. 200grainers are a bit snappy.
    "A strong body makes the mind strong. As to the species of exercises, I advise the gun. While this gives moderate exercise to the body, it gives boldness, enterprise, and independence to the mind."

Used to own a Remington 700 Classic in 8mm Rem mag, recoil was very managable. I never mounted a scope on my rifle only shot it with open sights. Rifle was accurate and recoil was not even a concern for me, since I shoot a 12 gauge shotgun a lot. Guess the felt recoil is the same as the 338 Win mag or a 12 ga with 3" shells.

The newer muzzle brakes from remington Are threaded. If the rifle is a first generation awr with Teflon coating, it may be difficult to see this. Could youpost a picture of the rifle and muzzle brake?