Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Kimber & Wilson Combat pistols in Anchorage?

Default Kimber & Wilson Combat pistols in Anchorage?

Heading into Anchorage for a few days, and am looking for a new "plinker". You guys know where I can find these handguns while in town. I know Great Northern is on the list. Any others?
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

I got my Wilson at Wild west guns.

Sounds like an expensive plinker!

Default ...

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    Sounds like an expensive plinker!
    It's all relative.

And really, any handgun unless it's real big for hunting is a "range plinker" for emergency conditions.

We dont do Kimbers. We are sold out of Wilsons (they are best special ordered anyway so you can pick and choose your features)....don't forget Colts

Chimo's had Kimbers and they treated me and the wife fair. Boonies is also worth a shot for kimbers too, but I don't recall if they carry them for sure. I think for the wilson you will be looking at WWG or used.

Quote Originally Posted by Wildalaska View Post
    We dont do Kimbers. We are sold out of Wilsons (they are best special ordered anyway so you can pick and choose your features)....don't forget Colts
    Thought about the colts...but I've been told those are GREAT to purchase, and then tune into what you want. (yes I realize this is true with most firearms).

Wanted to get a feel for the Wilsons. Again, if it fits, it can be purchased. If it fits, but not exactly I can order. If I don't know if it fits...then it isn't even a consideration.

Hmmmmm......heard SW sometimes has Kimbers (very limited). worth a look.

Northern Security and Great Northern Guns usually have a Wilson or two (and other high-end 1911's) on the shelf. Northern Security carries Kimber, as well.

Thanks to all the replies so far. Definately going to be fun going gun shopping.

Chimos, Wild West Guns (for the Colts), Great Northern Guns and Northern Security. I'll check out Sportsman's...but I'm thinking not to many high end there...but we'll see.

I would go for a Colt over Kimber every time, and WWG should be able to get you a good price. Kimber is OK, but you're paying for a lot of glossy ads.

GNG, Northern Security and WWG all stock Wilson. I didn't even know WWG stocked Wilson guns until I had Bill sign my copy of "The Combat Auto" when he was up a few years ago showing off his latest creations at WWG.

There seems to be a nice variety of 1911s around town (as of today). I recently got great info regarding 1911's from the folks at WWG, Northern Security and GNG - and all are mom and pop stores which I like.

Good news is I have 4 days to kill (with work thrown in for no good reason), so I'll be visiting them all. Just want to make sure whatever one is choosen, it fits well.

A few friends have recommended Colts...however, all of them followed up with modifications I should do right away. Have an issue with paying good change...just to "fix" something for it to be "nice". If i'm going to pay good $$, i'd prefer it to be great out of the box...and only better when my choices get finniky.

Yeah for early Xmas gifts....for myself.

If you want all the now 'required' parts, check out these Colt models.
    3" = Defender. Only thing to replace: grips. The fact that no other company on the planet still puts these grips on a factory gun should tell Colt something. But they probably have a pickup load of them, right next to the CONEX of downswept grip safeties that most of the XSE models have.
    4.25" = XSE Commander O4012XSE
    5" = XSE Combat Elite or Special Combat Covernment Carry
    5" w/ rail = XSE Rail Gun

Of course you could always look at the Colt Gunsite Pistol...

And I forgot the TALO Wiley Clapp Commander.

I'll have to see how they feel in hand. May be the best fit. However, they don't get me "all tingly" when looking at them. Not sure why (as most guns are exciting).

Who knows...

Hopefully I can find a nice Wilson available when down there....

Couldn't edit my post, so here is the additional info:

**Editor's note: After a little bit of parusing the internet...I take back my previous comment. I really like the lines of the combat Elite and special combat Gov't.

tingle, tingle, tingle...

Just a suggestion but you might want to look into the Les Baer's 1911 - and some models are offered with a 1.5" guarantee at 50 yards. Not many people on the face of this earth can hold that good but it's "only" a $395.00 option.

I took a handgun course from alaska tactical in muldoon a couple weeks ago and he had a couple wilsons in the case there... dont remember the prices, but one in particular seemed to be priced really great according to the folks in the class with me.

Don't count out Ed Brown 1911's, GNG carries a few as well as Nighthawks hope you have a thick wallet in that case though. Any 1911 is a good buy in my book. Just something about those classy lines and the way they feel in my hand.

You guys really need to stop or I am going to lock this thread down. Call it abuse of authority or power if you want but my finances can't take a major purchase right now and I have already been jealous of my wife with her Kimber Ultra Carry II... Watching this thread pop up to the top and finding out all the shops that have them is torture! Next thing you know you will be posting pics up to really set me off...

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast