Thread: Reloading suppiles

Default Reloading suppiles

I am looking to move to Alaska here soon and trying to find out what are the laws about transporting reloading supplies via Canada. I know about transporting firearms and ammo but having a bit of issue on finding what is allowed for the reloading since their not rounds yet.

Thanks

I'm also moivg up there soon. What I've been told was almost like ammo. 5000 of each compoant i.e 5000 bullets--5000 cases--5000 primers. Powder is limited to 16 lbs. Thats what I was told. But going to check again before I leave in May. Oh that's per vehical amounts. 2 vehicals and double that.

We will be in Fairbanks hopefully by June. All my ammo is loaded and I will be flying up so I will probably get a shipping container and pack that with everything and the rest. As long as it never touches Canadian soil and is shipped by sea to Anchorage, it shouldn't beaproblem right?

Quote Originally Posted by hunter4361 View Post
    I'm also moivg up there soon. What I've been told was almost like ammo. 5000 of each compoant i.e 5000 bullets--5000 cases--5000 primers. Powder is limited to 16 lbs. Thats what I was told. But going to check again before I leave in May. Oh that's per vehical amounts. 2 vehicals and double that.
    Good Info hunter, That's really worth confirming, cause if you can do 5000 of each and maybe another 5000 in a second vehicle....,
    I Highly Recommend you bring all you can, You'll be glad you did when you get here.

Even if you live in the bigger cities, you'll find the prices of everything a fair bit higher, some of the more abstract powders like RL-17 for example can be hard to even find by my experience. Primers can also, "flat out disappear," off the shelves if you're not right on top of the newest shipments
    If you end up in a more remote location, you'll find it really hard to order stuff from down south, and Spendy to Buy Here
    Hazmat shipping really brings your cost per round up fast and is a fair size hassle

Welcome to AK tho, you'll find lots of stuff to test your new rounds on... It's all well worth it
    It's getting a lot better in Anch and Fbks, I'll admit
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I did find the info finally on a canada website and you were right hunter. Now the only other question I have is it doesn't say what type of ammo. I.E. You can't bring a handgun in canada so what about handgun ammo.

I just crossed the Canadian border in October from Sweetgrass Montana. I used the Canadian Weapon Import Guide for all of my guidance; guns, ammo, powder, etc. The website from the Canadian border patrol and import guide is as follows: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.pdf.

A bit of advice; have everything you plan to declare inventoried and know all of the qauntities if you drive across the border. If you pull up, give them the exact # of guns you are declaring, the number of rounds you have, and anything regulated under the import guide, they shouldn't give you any hassle. Also, if you are transporting guns across the border, fill out your Non-resident declaration form completely prior to you arrival and bring a second copy just in case. The more prepared you are, the easier your transport will be when you cross. Also, there is a $25 fee for transporting guns through Canada and you can pay with cash or with Visa.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a message. I completed the drive from the Southern tip of Florida, through Louisiana, then up through Iowa, across to Montana into Canada and then onto Alaska via the ALCAN.

Bgarcher

Quote Originally Posted by kantill View Post
    I did find the info finally on a canada website and you were right hunter. Now the only other question I have is it doesn't say what type of ammo. I.E. You can't bring a handgun in canada so what about handgun ammo.
    I did find the ammo type restrictions once. It's not caliber specific--but states ammo like armour pearcing, tracer rounds,etc. stuff like that.
    If you happen to have handgun or mitilary calibers type ammo them may quiz you as to where are the guns. This happened to a couple I now that went up last july 2009. They had .223 ammo and border guards keep them 4 hrs. Well I have all that so they may hassle me to. But all my guns will be shipped, I'm even mailing all my knives, clips, and junk like that. All I'll have is my loaded ammo and reloading supplies. Also they can charge you up 12% tax on every thing over 200 rounds. I asked how puts a value on the excess and I was told that I would delaire the value. So plan on that and have a value figured out ahead of time. Again you may not even be taxed depends on the person there at the time up to his or hers dissartion.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Good Info hunter, That's really worth confirming, cause if you can do 5000 of each and maybe another 5000 in a second vehicle....,
    I Highly Recommend you bring all you can, You'll be glad you did when you get here.

Even if you live in the bigger cities, you'll find the prices of everything a fair bit higher, some of the more abstract powders like RL-17 for example can be hard to even find by my experience. Primers can also, "flat out disappear," off the shelves if you're not right on top of the newest shipments
    If you end up in a more remote location, you'll find it really hard to order stuff from down south, and Spendy to Buy Here
    Hazmat shipping really brings your cost per round up fast and is a fair size hassle

Welcome to AK tho, you'll find lots of stuff to test your new rounds on... It's all well worth it
    It's getting a lot better in Anch and Fbks, I'll admit
    Supplies will be getting better up there. I work for a major outdoors store here and last year things were slim to none. Primers were very hard to get. If we got 1000-3000 a month we were jumping for joy amd they sold the same day. Now we have shelves of them. Hang tight supplies will be geting there.

Quote Originally Posted by Bgarcher44 View Post
    I just crossed the Canadian border in October from Sweetgrass Montana. I used the Canadian Weapon Import Guide for all of my guidance; guns, ammo, powder, etc. The website from the Canadian border patrol and import guide is as follows: http://www.cbsa-asfc.gc.ca/publications/pub/bsf5044-eng.pdf.

A bit of advice; have everything you plan to declare inventoried and know all of the qauntities if you drive across the border. If you pull up, give them the exact # of guns you are declaring, the number of rounds you have, and anything regulated under the import guide, they shouldn't give you any hassle. Also, if you are transporting guns across the border, fill out your Non-resident declaration form completely prior to you arrival and bring a second copy just in case. The more prepared you are, the easier your transport will be when you cross. Also, there is a $25 fee for transporting guns through Canada and you can pay with cash or with Visa.

If you have any other questions, feel free to shoot me a message. I completed the drive from the Southern tip of Florida, through Louisiana, then up through Iowa, across to Montana into Canada and then onto Alaska via the ALCAN.

Bgarcher
    Good post Bgarcher44 great link I didn't have that one. I for sure shoot you a PM when I have a few specific questions. But for now did they tax any of your excess ammo?

When I crossed the border, I told the border patrol officer that I was traveling with 1203 rounds of ammunition along with the other requested information and I wasn't charged anything extra beyond the $25 gun transport fee. I was well over the 200 round limit and the officer never questioned me one bit. I too was worried about the duty free tax on the ammunition so I gave an additional 1000 rounds of ammo to my family just to try and save from having to pay a higher tax but that wasn't the case when I arrived at the border.

Also, If you are wondering about the handguns and clarifying your ownership with the Border Patrol Officers, keep all of your information with you at crossing and present to them upon request. I had to ship my handguns up here via UPS and kept the shipment confirmation/receipt. After I entered the border patrol facility, another officer asked where my handguns were located and I pulled out the UPS shipment receipt, told him I shipped them, paid my $25 fee and I was on my way in just over 15 minutes.

When I crossed the border, I told the border patrol officer that I was traveling with 1203 rounds of ammunition along with the other requested information and I wasn't charged anything extra beyond the $25 gun transport fee. I was well over the 200 round limit and the officer never questioned me one bit. I too was worried about the duty free tax on the ammunition so I gave an additional 1000 rounds of ammo to my family just to try and save from having to pay a higher tax but that wasn't the case when I arrived at the border.

Also, If you are wondering about the handguns and clarifying your ownership with the Border Patrol Officers, keep all of your information with you at crossing and present to them upon request. I had to ship my handguns up here via UPS and kept the shipment confirmation/receipt. After I entered the border patrol facility, another officer asked where my handguns were located and I pulled out the UPS shipment receipt, told him I shipped them, paid my $25 fee and I was on my way in just over 15 minutes.
    I was debating where to enter (leaving from louisiana) shortest route was in north dakota, but now I may just go over to montana and cross there. Yes I will have all the shipping receipts for my guns. Not to worried if they tax me I have it in my budget, it'll still be chaeper than replacing it later.

I was debating where to enter (leaving from louisiana) shortest route was in north dakota, but now I may just go over to montana and cross there. Yes I will have all the shipping receipts for my guns. Not to worried if they tax me I have it in my budget, it'll still be chaeper than replacing it later.
    Does it matter on which border you cross over?

A friend of mine crossed over there in North Dakota just a few months prior to my arrival and had the same outcome. He was well prepared and didn't make any hesitations when asked about importations. I think you will be fine wherever you decide to cross.

You may also consider your port of entry based on gas and accommodation prices. I found that gas and hotels were generally cheaper in the US so I decided to parallel the Canadian border as far West as I could go without having to backtrack to catch the ALCAN Highway. If you cross over into Canada via North Dakota, you can expect to pay more for gas and hotels as opposed to traveling across South Dakota and Montana. Also, if you are affiliated with the military in any way, you could schedule your stops at military bases (Offutt/Ellsworth/Malmstrom) and pay $40-45 per night for a room.

A friend of mine crossed over there in North Dakota just a few months prior to my arrival and had the same outcome. He was well prepared and didn't make any hesitations when asked about importations. I think you will be fine wherever you decide to cross.

You may also consider your port of entry based on gas and accommodation prices. I found that gas and hotels were generally cheaper in the US so I decided to parallel the Canadian border as far West as I could go without having to backtrack to catch the ALCAN Highway. If you cross over into Canada via North Dakota, you can expect to pay more for gas and hotels as opposed to traveling across South Dakota and Montana. Also, if you are affiliated with the military in any way, you could schedule your stops at military bases (Offutt/Ellsworth/Malmstrom) and pay $40-45 per night for a room.
    My just stay with the North Dakota crossing. It would be 300-400 miles forther to go through Montana. More cheaper gas or less expencisive gas. 6 one way half dozen another. We don't plan on getting rooms but just stopping at rest areas or some place and catch
    a little shut eye. Will get cleaned up sleep when we get a room in fairbanks. Reason for doing that way is we'll have a pick-up with a trailor loaded up. It'll be easy picking for theives if we leave it unattined while sleeping in a motel room.