Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Practical jokes

Default Practical jokes

In 2006, my hunting buddy Jim and I made a trip to the Eastern Cape of South Africa for a plains game hunt. Jim and his PH located a monster Steenbuck which they stalked and shot at three times--all misses. Over the next four days, they relocated the little ram three more times which resulted in three more stalks and five more shots--although the 8th shot finally ended the hunt. Needless to say, "Steenbuck Jim" became his new nickname.

The summer of 2008 brought us back to the Eastern Cape for a second safari. During the two years, my scheming mind had hatched a master plan as I purchased khaki baseball caps and had them embroidered. On the first morning of the hunt, I ushered Jim over to a chair at the breakfast table. When he pulled out his seat, there was a neatly embroidered hat with big black letters stating, "Steenbuck Jim". After two years of abuse compliments of Steenbuck jokes, he responded with a colorful list of creative words--all of them four letters long.

He, being a good sport, wore the cap with pride and had to explain to everyone he met just what the meaning was as he retold his fatefull story to each new property owner he met.

The next morning, Russ, his PH, was wearing a new khaki cap with "Steenbuck Jim's PH" embroidered on it. Needless to say, the profanities began anew when Jim finally noticed it. The third day, Mike, who was the tracker, was wearing one that read "Steenbuck Jim's Tracker"--again, Jim used choice words explaining his idea on my prank. Finally, on the fourth morning, I wore my new cap that read "Steenbuck Jim's Hunting Partner" ( I almost made the mistake of eliminating the word "hunting" which may have given the cap a whole new meaning in some peoples' minds). By this point Jim was just shaking his head in disbelief.

That night, as we were sitting around the campfire, Jim looked at me and said, "You know, smarta__, if you had really been thinking you would have sent one to Anne (his wife) so she could be wearing one when she picked me up at the airport." (Jim lives in AZ while I am in SD) To which I responded, "I never thought of that. You're right. That would have been brilliant". Six days later as his wife picked him up at the Phoenix airport, he was shocked to see his wife wearing a khaki cap with "Steenbuck Jim's Wife" embroidered on it. I had sent Anne her cap the day before we had left.

Fast forwarding to this summer as my father, Jim and I made a trip to AK for two days in Homer halibut fishing, one day on the Kenai for Kings and two days in Seward for halibut and salmon. The first night we were in Homer, we drove out to the Homestead for one of their delicious meals. Since it was so cool, we each wore a jacket. After ordering, I nodded at Dad who nonchalantly removed his coat. It was not two minutes, when I noticed Jim's eyes moving to the embroidering on Dad's shirt which read "Fished with Steenbuck Jim". He simply melted as his shoulders drooped his head dropped and he muttered, "Another Steenbuck joke. Is this ever going to end. Sh%&!" We then all three began to laugh so hard that the waitress came over wanting to know what was so funny. We literally had tears running down our faces. Jim then turned to me and said, "I suppose, smarta__, you have one too." To which I responded, "You bet" as I pealed off my coat. Upon returning to the condo we were renting, Jim noticed a neatly embroidered blue shirt with "Steenbuck Jim" on it.

So, do any of you have good humerous pranks that you have pulled on your hunting buddies? By the way, we are going back to Africa as soon as my school year is over (I am a teacher), and my mind is full of new "Steenbuck ideas".

I like your sense of humor and can't wait to hear the follow up on this after your next adventure with "Steenbuck Jim"!!!

Great story, love the humor!

I can't think of any personal stories but am reminded of one I heard from a group of buddies recently. These guys were on a recent duck hunt right here in Alaska. Each of the men had a typical layout-type ground blind they were hunting out of. Well, one of the guys has a reputation for napping in the blind and his buddies decided to teach him a little lesson! When after a few hours of slow hunting they heard an unacceptably loud snore coming from his blind they opted to cinch a quick zip-tie on his blind amidst the muffled snickers and chuckles. As they each got back in their blind and readied their calls, the snoring continued. Finally, on the count of three they started in on some intense calling. The 'buddy' immediately awoke, grabbed his 12 gauge and attempted to get a bead on one of these ducks who were FINALLY coming to the decoys after such a slow morning. The rest of the hunters had the pleasure of experiencing a surprised hunter struggling to ready his shotgun and throw open the blind!

Good harmless jokes are great. But you have to draw the line.

A friend of mine later confided in me that in his family you never left your gun laying around unattended, because someone was going to jack with the scope adjustments just to make the point of not leaving it untended.

He told about it AFTER I made a rested 100 yard shot at a buck and blew its lower hind leg off just below the knee. Three miles and three hours later I caught up with that buck and managed to drop it once I figured out where my gun was hitting. He thought it was all funnier than heck.

About a week later I saw his truck parked beside the road while he was on a hunt of his own. I let the air out of all 4 of his tires plus his spare. When he called me that night hoping for a rescue or a ride, I told him about my own "family tradition."

I can't imagine why but we came to the mutual conclusion that we didn't need to hunt together again!!

I think he is right, you are a smart##s.

Quote Originally Posted by BrownBear View Post
    Good harmless jokes are great. But you have to draw the line.

A friend of mine later confided in me that in his family you never left your gun laying around unattended, because someone was going to jack with the scope adjustments just to make the point of not leaving it untended.

He told about it AFTER I made a rested 100 yard shot at a buck and blew its lower hind leg off just below the knee. Three miles and three hours later I caught up with that buck and managed to drop it once I figured out where my gun was hitting. He thought it was all funnier than heck.

About a week later I saw his truck parked beside the road while he was on a hunt of his own. I let the air out of all 4 of his tires plus his spare. When he called me that night hoping for a rescue or a ride, I told him about my own "family tradition."

I can't imagine why but we came to the mutual conclusion that we didn't need to hunt together again!!
    Hope you also told him that payback is a Bit##.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Not near a fun in the digital age... but back when i worked the river barges... you never left your camera laying around...

when found, invariably someone would pick it up and take it to the head or the beach, and pinch a loaf.. snap a photo of it and quietly put the camera back.... some times it would make 2-3 crew members before it was picked up by its owner...

now imagine the surprise when the films came back... not sure how many coastie inspectors got it... along with rescued boaters, canoeist, rafters, and tourist in general...
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    Not near a fun in the digital age... but back when i worked the river barges... you never left your camera laying around...

when found, invariably someone would pick it up and take it to the head or the beach, and pinch a loaf.. snap a photo of it and quietly put the camera back.... some times it would make 2-3 crew members before it was picked up by its owner...

now imagine the surprise when the films came back... not sure how many coastie inspectors got it... along with rescued boaters, canoeist, rafters, and tourist in general...
    Its good to know thats not just an Army tradition I would hate to think so few got in on the fun.

I still get a kick out of tying the zipper pulls together on a buddies dual zipper tent door after a night of spirits around the campfire.

I think that is the only thing in your 6606 posts that was ever worth any value.

Quote Originally Posted by woundedknee View Post
    I think that is the only thing in your 6606 posts that was ever worth any value.
    Well mom always said I was a tenacious SOB. Figures I would get one right if I just kept on trying...

Truth is, most people think that people who do repititious practical jokes or belittling of people are the south end of a north bound mule. Most mistakes are no longer funny after the first minute or two. Just let it go.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

JOAT, at no time was my little prank on Jim belittling, degrading, condescending, mean, vicious or cruel. In fact, it has had the opposite effect as it has bonded us together like two close brothers. There is a huge difference in practical jokes that are enjoyed by both sides and practical jokes enjoyed by just one side.

True. And I'm not necessarily being critical of the OP story, just the "practical joking" concept in general. I got a chuckle out of the story and so long as both sides are good natured about it, that's cool. Though I've witnessed many cases where self-proclaimed "practical jokers" consistently push things way too far and too frequently. I know it got to the point in the fire service many years ago where we had to actually make an anti-practical joke policy punishable through the HR dept to get some of the morons to back off their non-stop antics. And if someone in hunting camp were stupid enough to touch the sights on another's gun as a "practical joke"... well, let's just say that might be a "hanging offense" in some circles. That's a pretty significant "safety violation" in my book. Intentionally screwing up someone's sights could end up getting a guy killed. I'd equate that to cutting the brake lines on your car and calling it a "practical joke". Not funny at all.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Default I got one!

Back to the OP's subject and to lighten things up a bit. I have a story of a joke that was played on me.

A buddy and I were out on a weekend fly out duck hunt at his family’s favorite duck hunting grounds.

We had enjoyed a couple good days of shooting already and were sitting at a makeshift blind just shooting the breeze, waiting for more ducks to fly in. I got up to relieve myself and heard him back in the blind racking shells out of the tube of my shotgun.

"WTH are you doing with my gun?" I asked.

"Calm down." He replied. "I'm just checking what loads your shooting because you’ve been out shooting me and my hand loads all trip."

"I'm shooting the same loads I've been shooting all weekend!" I told him. "Leave my gun alone and put it back!" He did and we got back to shooting the breeze waiting for ducks.

A few minutes later a small flock came in flying low. At the right time I shouldered the gun, picked a duck and started firing..... Miss..Miss..Miss! WTH! I thought. I had them dead to rights.

Next thing I notice my buddy is rolling on the ground laughing as all of this paper confetti is fluttering around in the sky above me!

Apparently, he had hand loaded some special shells for me and replaced the shot for paper circles from a hole punch in his office. When he was "checking" what loads I was shooting, he really was replacing the shells in my gun!

I thought it was funny. No harm done and I'm sure the ducks appreciated the free pass and ticker tape parade we provided for them.

Reminds me now that I still owe him one.

Southdakota,
    Since you posted your story and opened yourself up for feedback I'll give mine. You went way to far with the joke. Razzing someone about missing an animal is part of the game. But I would of ended up either belting you or telling you to back the F off.
    Tennessee

Quote Originally Posted by Snowwolfe View Post
    Southdakota,
    Since you posted your story and opened yourself up for feedback I'll give mine. You went way to far with the joke. Razzing someone about missing an animal is part of the game. But I would of ended up either belting you or telling you to back the F off.
    I have a buddy who shot himself some years back. It was an honest mistake to a certain point, he set up a target and didn't think much of the junk behind it. He ended up shooting a steel plate with a steel core penetrator. Needless to say it didn't penetrate, or at least it didn't penetrate the steel. It did a fine job of penetrating his leg after making the 50yd return trip to the starting point. I never laid into it with him but have poked the sore spot a time or two with "don't shoot yourself" comments when he says he is headed to the range. A copy of A Christmas Story makes a great present etc.

I gave up that joke when he had an accidental discharge from a Rem mdl 700. The rifle was on safe though he agrees it shouldn't have had a round in the chamber. It discharged while removing it by the back of the stock from the gun boot. No possible way the trigger was pulled. The kicker was the gun boot was mounted to his wheeler which was in the bed of his truck. The damage was extensive and I know it is a very sore subject. In fact his wife is the only one who busts his nutz over it and it isn't funny.

I have to say though that since he is like 0-20 years on moose and bou though I used to bust his stones about HIM being the largest thing he has shot. So now the temptation is there to prod him on outdoing his old record by stepping it up to a 7,000lb Silverado. I don't think enough time has passed yet to get away with it... Luckily he is apparently a poor shot since the only two things he has shot larger than a grouse both survived the incident!

Snowwolfe, I appreciate your comment, and obviously, you are not the type of person that would appreciate such humor---and that is fine. If we were hunting partners I would know that and not attempt such things. Again, "Steenbuck Jim" has enjoyed the prank as much, if not more, than I have. In fact, he was elk guiding an editor from a western hunting publication who wants to use the story in an article about how hunting is more than inches of horns or antlers. Jim is thrilled with this. By the way, Jim's shooting skills are far beyond any that I will ever obtain as he is truly a blessed individual when it comes to accurately shooting a rifle. When I opened this thread, my thoughts were on pranks that were enjoyed by everyone and not things that were hurtful or mean spirited as I am neither.

I do appreciate humor and can give and take a ribbing as much as the next person. But as Joat said, sometimes it can go to far. I mean, come on, still ribbing the guy about some bad shooting years later?
    Anyhow, enjoyed the story and hope you and your firends have many happy hunts together.
    Tennessee

When we first moved to Anchorage (I was 3, sister 5, brother 8) there was a mama moose in the neighborhood with two calves . Knowing now, she would come to the woods near our place every year to have her calves. She would probably eat from your hand and never hurt anyone. However, she was forefront in our minds when my brother told everyone we should go sledding where a new friend had showed him a nice hill. This hill required a walk through a 100 foot powerline section that went through the woods that this moose preferred. We had fun sledding and packed it up at about dusk. Dad let Mom lead the way with the kids and started drifting further and further back until he made his break and bolted into the woods. When you hear branches being broken and snow crunching at dusk, you automatically assume the worst and we all did. I barely remember things from that age but I vividly remember my mom picking up my sister, looking at my brother, yelling "Moose, RUN!!!" and taking off without me. When I lost a boot in the snow my dad stumbled out of the woods, laughing so hard he couldnt talk. I remember Dad sleeping in the living room for a week after that.
    The truly funny thing about it is, 20 years later, all of us kids think it is an absolutely hilarious story, but my mom still gets angry and spiteful and launches into a tirade about how it's mean to pull pranks that scare people. That only makes us laugh more that she still holds a grudge about it.

My dad is the most twisted genius I've ever met when it comes to pranks. In college he correctly guessed the number of his friends bike lock, which was used to lock his motorcycle to the bike rack. Dad would unlock his motorcyle, move it to another bike rack and re-lock it. He would walk out of class with him and when he freaked out, Dad would suggest "Lets look for it first. Maybe whoever stole it didn't go far." Then he would 'help' him 'find' it. Locked to a different bike rack. His friend thought he was going insane for a while.
    Born in Alaska: The boundary lines have fallen for me in pleasant places; surely I have a delightful inheritance. Psalm 16:6

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast