Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Lever Action 30-30 for Home Defense

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Default Lever Action 30-30 for Home Defense

Hokay, I'mma gun nut, and I recently read a cupla articles about using a Lever Action rifle for Home Defense, and of course the thutty-thutty was mentioned.

(These gun writers, hafta write about SOMETHING, and here's a brand-new idea, and all the rage.) Here I am, reading it, and I get IDEAS.

Now, the Big Disadvantage to this practice, is that thutty-thutty boolits will go through walls, especially interior walls and possibly damage your rug rats, your Mother-in-Law, and other loved ones.

The thought occurs to me, Since I have an ABUNDANCE of Lever Action thuty-thuttys, and handload for them, THAT I could handload some rounds that are more like handgun rounds, with something like JHP bullets, if such are available, at a handgun velocity.

If ANYONE, would care to elaborate, or offer any suggestions to further this worthy project, I'm be interested to consider it. OR, if you think it's a dumbkoff idea, I can TAKE IT.

Thanks
    Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

The .30.30 has probably killed as many people inside of buildings as out. Isn't that why Winchester's widow kept building room after room for the spirits of those killed by Mr. Winchester's rifles?
    Sure, you could cook up a special load, but for my money it would be hard to beat a shotgun for the sheer damage it does to a bad guy while not doing so much in the next room. Plus the sound of a pump action is well known. That of a lever gun... not so much.

32-115-FN (310 Diameter) 115 Grain Flat Nose Gas Check would be a good canidit, you could even drill the nose to make HP. Cast with pure lead and mild velocities (under 1000fps) would give you something that expanded rapidly, but enough penetration for varmints. Or the Speer 30 Caliber (308 Diameter) 110 Grain Jacketed Hollow Point would work good at pistol velocities.
    Just for thought.
    Mike

I don't think it's a bad idea Smitty, matter of fact I believe Jeff Cooper thought it a pretty good one. With 30-30s being by and large, both light and handy as well as normally rather short barrelled, I think they'd be alot better than alot of other options. I may be remebering something wrong but I believe bullets for the 32acp are of a diameter that will work in a 30cal rifle. I've never seen any load data to that end but I think I recall seeing a chamber adapter for firing 32acp in an 06 chamber.

If they are indeed the proper diameter I would think that driving them to hyper velocity using a hollowpoint design might be just the ticket. I say drive them fast because I believe that if they are made to open at speeds attainable in the little 32 case tells me they would likely disentigrate when they came into contact with about anything, at double their intended speed.

Don't know, just the best late night brainstorm I could come up with.

Levers will work as good as anything else. Use the right ammo, hit the BG, and overpen is not an issue.

This stuff looks pretty good...

http://www.midwayusa.com/viewproduct...tnumber=775263
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Onliest thing I can see wrong with a thutty thutty for home defense is that they don't fit on the night stand and are even worse under the piller! I'd say sell one of your 30-30's and by a 15 round Glock 40 with night sights.

On the tother hand iffen Fredrick Krooger came waltzin into my house and my 30-30 was loaded...I'd plug him with it and wouldn't much care what it was loaded with neither!

I have an ample supply of 115 grain hard cast round noses that I shoot on top of 7-8 grains of Unique with a little pillow stuffing to keep the powder next of the primer. They are running about 1300 fps or sorta kinda like a great big 22. I kilt a big ole 80 lb deserving of death hound dog with it a couple of weeks ago and he died real dead real fast. He was facing me at 50 feet and I shot hem in the chest. No exit hole and I sure as heck didn't do an autopsy see how messed up his inards were. Dead is all I know! If I was a bad guy I wouldn't want to get shot with one of them!

Iffen ya wants I could mail you some of them bullets to play with....free!

I did some testing with a 44 mag lever gun at "Man" targets (paper of coarse!) and found the speed in which you can get off shots was good but the accuracy was great! Even without using the sights and just pointing the barrel the hits were good at inside the home distances thus the usefulness of it and the shotgun, pointability. I personally would never go looking for an intruder with a long gun in a house, for concerns of "take aways" but if he is coming for you, he's in trouble. Having been in "situations", you will not bullshoot yourself on your skills and odds of living in gun battles. I had little comfort with a handgun and felt much better about the odds with a shotgun/AR15. I packed a levergun for years as protection from humans when in the hills and it stood gaurd at home for 2 reasons, it is effective and the non-gun public aren't "alarmed" for some reason by them? The AR15 brought way to much attention to myself!!!

The Winchester 30-30... killin' bad guys dead since 1894!

I'd take my trusty and ancient 336 over any handgun ever made in a real life gunfight.

Quote Originally Posted by hodgeman View Post
    The Winchester 30-30... killin' bad guys dead since 1894!

I'd take my trusty and ancient 336 over any handgun ever made in a real life gunfight.
    I agree with you in all situations but one. It's dark and they are in my house. I have my Glock in one hand and my Mag light in the other. Of course this all is for naught if mother gets to them with the frying pan first! It be just like her to ruin my fun!

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

duno...there is absolutely no mistaking the sound of a 12 GA pump through the door... even the dumbest of dumbs... know what it is..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I keep my Redhawk on my nightstand with some nice 250 grain 44 Special loads chambered. Maybe the sound of a pump shotgun is a psychological advantage, IF you don't want to have to shoot, but so is the statement: "I've got a 44 in my hand and WILL shoot you!"
    There have been lots of arcane ideas for home defense, but the basics still work. Home defense isn't like experimenting with handloads just for grins and giggles. I'd rather stick with what I know works, and I happen to know that a 44 special works just fine.

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    duno...there is absolutely no mistaking the sound of a 12 GA pump through the door... even the dumbest of dumbs... know what it is..
    Yeah, but do you really want that mess in the house?

On a separate track from the suitability of a particular load, I would offer some advice (paraphrased) from past articles I've read about self-defense shootings. If you wound, perhaps even kill, an intruder, there is always the possibility of a lawsuit for injuries or wrongful death. If the plaintiff's attorney can convince a jury of folks unfamiliar with guns that you used a "load specifically developed to maim/kill," you may be in greater danger of losing a lawsuit. Shouldn't be that way, but it may be reality. So I will never use anything but factory ammo in my defensive guns, unless I'm practicing or out hunting. Factory ammo only in the home-defense arena.

FWIW!

Quote Originally Posted by elmerkeithclone View Post
    Yeah, but do you really want that mess in the house?
    We rent... lol
    That said, I keep the 12g handy for home protection. I wonder though, if the typical home invader would know the difference in the sound of a 12g pump vs. a lever gun. I'll have to try it with the wife and see if I can. I don't know if my ears are that good.

Quote Originally Posted by 1buba View Post
    I wonder though, if the typical home invader would know the difference in the sound of a 12g pump vs. a lever gun. I'll have to try it with the wife and see if I can. I don't know if my ears are that good.
    I was going to say the same thing. I think I could tell the difference if I was listening for it, but really in the middle of the night, both sounds are going to register as "GUN!" However, I suspect if they're stupid enough to break into an occupied house they're likely not bright enough to heed the warning.

As soon as a gun goes off the bad guys will run. Either that or they will die if you have a 30-30. Bad guys want unarmed people not one with a guy to rob. Personally i dont know what i like more. a 30-30 or a .35 rem. both have killed more game than you could count.

According to a friend in the know...
    Tik-chik of cocking shotgun
    +
    blinding strobe
    +
    "This gun is loaded with double ought buckshot"
    =
    sheer, pants-peeing terror for criminal.

My shotgun is next to my bed. I do not consider any of my game taking rifles to be my primary home defense weapon.

HCL:
    Hollow pointing my own bullets, or cast bullets IS an option, all right, and I'll check on them boolits you mentioned.

Kid:
    There's an idea. 32 ACP bullets are .309. They should work. I already load cast bullets for 30-30, both Full Power, and Reduced loads, so whatever bullet I can use, I should be able to load them to handgun velocities.

EKC:
    I figgered I'd just lean it on the wall there by the bed, where my 22 Mag. rifle is now.

Tombo:
    My thinking was kinda like that. I'm convinced, I'd be able to shoot my LAs MUCH more accurately than a handgun, which I see as a real advantage. Especially for someone like me who isn't an accomplished hand gunner.

Mort:
    Surely, the case can be made that such a load, as I'm considering, is safer, more discriminatory, and more responsible than using something like a 170 grain Remington Corelokt, Factory Load.

THANKS to everyone for the ideas, feedback, etc. You convinced me that this is doable and practical. I'm sure I'll be doing it, as soon as I can obtain suitable bullets, and time permits for load development.

Thanks Again
    Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Sounds like a good dose of fun for a winter reloading project Smitty. Have a ball and I hope you never need to try Amy of those loads out for real.

Quote Originally Posted by The Kid View Post
    Sounds like a good dose of fun for a winter reloading project Smitty. Have a ball and I hope you never need to try Amy of those loads out for real.
    Thanks.

You and me, both

Smitty of the North
    You can't out-give God.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast