Thread: Monocular

Default Monocular

Wanting opinions on a quality monocular. In-law is heading to the jungle this winter in a tourist fashion.

Would a small lightweight monocle be of use? The mid-range Leicas are reviewed well but hard to decide.

Considered binocs but wanted to keep portability to the max.

Any opinions welcome.

edit: AOD sponsor has nice mid-range zeiss. Give and take on the mag vs distance. Considering http://www.cameralandny.com/optics/z...onocular522051

I have an opinion that's based on trail and error (my error). 10 years back I was in the jungle of Ecuardor, brought along my trust Stiener 12x40 predators binos, the power was simply way to high. If sitting in a canoe there was very little way to stabilize the image.I think 8x power would be about right. Field of view would also be a major consideration in my book when selecting jungle glass. Something along the lines of marine purpose binos would be superb, except for bulk. And I saw that you were looking at a monocular, but I would hate to give up the stereoscopic vision of binos on a trip where the primary activity is observing wildlife. good luck in the vision quest.

Quote Originally Posted by nitroshrew View Post
    I have an opinion that's based on trail and error (my error). 10 years back I was in the jungle of Ecuardor, brought along my trust Stiener 12x40 predators binos, the power was simply way to high. If sitting in a canoe there was very little way to stabilize the image.I think 8x power would be about right. Field of view would also be a major consideration in my book when selecting jungle glass. Something along the lines of marine purpose binos would be superb, except for bulk. And I saw that you were looking at a monocular, but I would hate to give up the stereoscopic vision of binos on a trip where the primary activity is observing wildlife. good luck in the vision quest.
    Thanks for that input. I am leaning toward a small pair of leicas after considering your info.

Cheers