Thread: Barneys Lightweight Cot?

Default Barneys Lightweight Cot?

Anyone use the cot Barneys was selling,it was a lightweight cot that didn't sit high off the ground?Or if you have a suggestion on a different one.

coues

I believe you are taking about Barneys Go Cots. They are reasonably light. They can be put together in minutes. They pack small, which is good for getting them in a super-cub. And while they get a sleeper off the floor, they are so low that nothing can be put under them, and they are so low that they do not function well for sitting on, and they sag at whatever end one puts his head. They work great, but before getting another one I would....

Check out the light weight cots at Alaska Tent & Tarp on International Blvd. As light or lighter. Check out how small they pack. They are high enough that duffles can be stuffed unter them, and a hunter can sit on one. And chair like stuff to sit on is always in a good thing for hunters with tired and sore lower backs. And that are the big advantage of the camp cots from Alaksa Tent & Tarp!

Dennis

Default Several good choices - Barney's has LuxuryLite UL Cots too...

Several good cots on the market and all available (or have been available) in Anchorage area recently. The Roll-A-Cot (RAC) at AT&T is a light, terrific cot that gets you off the floor and allows storage. Great cot, one anyone might appreciate in the field! Anything carried by AT&T should be good and sounds like Dennis has some good experience with RAC too. Definitely the most cot of the 3 I've seen lately, but each has design characteristics worth considering depending on the job.

Barney's has carried two other cots, also great-for-Alaska designs (Super Cub portable, light) of course...GoKots and LuxuryLite Cots. I've used these 2 and like them both. Neither has much room underneath for storage. GoKots are comfy for me (5'9", 170#) and make a plush night's sleep with a good pad. The LLs are handy, but narrow. I can use a light inflatable pad and sleep well, but appreciate the wider GK on river trips.

Links:
    Roll-A-Cot, 10#
    http://www.nrsweb.com/shop/product.asp?pfid=2715

GoKot, 8#
    http://campingcot.com/

LuxuryLite UL Cot, 2#, 12oz
    http://www.luxurylite.com/cotindex.html

Good luck.

Thanks guys,that is the info I needed,now I have some decisions to make.Always have to give up something.Weight for comfort.

A cot is nice when you can afford to carry one - solves those uneven ground issues that occur esp along rivers where campsites are few.
    And comfort you mentioned has its place sometimes - esp on longer trips.

About comfort, two of my "Jedi" outdoorsman friends at work were talking one day when I first got here, about backpacking up streams to camp and fish. Some of the conversation was about saving weight of course, but one of them surprised me - and dropped a pearl - when he said:

, "...not me, man. One thing I gotta have in the woods is a good night's sleep, so I pack the biggest,
    plushest, most comfortable sleeping pad I can find. And I sleep good".

Especially when family's involved - small things that help them stay warm and sleep well keep them happy too.
    Good luck, coues32.

I was thinking of that comfort thing when I was sleeping on the ground in AZ two weeks ago,when my back was killing me and didn't sleep real well.I usually sleep on a large cot,but hiked in a few spots and slept next to the wheelers on a Z-rest.
    I will have a cot maybe two,one for the wheeler and one to pack.Got awhile to figure it out for next year,if I draw a tag.Great info!