Thread: Heating a shanty...

Default Heating a shanty...

What heaters have you guys found that work well for heating an ice house? I was thinking one of the Mr. Buddy heaters, but was also looking at the infra-red type that screw on top of a propane tank. My house is 8'x10'x6'6" with 1" Styrofoam insulation (walls/ceiling).
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default my Buddy bit the dust

My Mr. Buddy died after one trip a long time ago. I replaced it with a very high BTU infra-red that is attached to its own little wire rack; it can point up at a 45 degree angle to heat you, or point straight up to cook on.

Mr. Buddy's replacement still works a dozen years later; never did find out cause of Mr. Buddy's death.

I use mine with an adapter hose that allows any heater that is made to use those little propane tanks; it connects up to the 5# er.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    What heaters have you guys found that work well for heating an ice house? I was thinking one of the Mr. Buddy heaters, but was also looking at the infra-red type that screw on top of a propane tank. My house is 8'x10'x6'6" with 1" Styrofoam insulation (walls/ceiling).
    beans and beer work well and are renewable... ( i mean... it IS a 4 holer... RIGHT?)

Quote Originally Posted by FamilyMan View Post
    My Mr. Buddy died after one trip a long time ago. I replaced it with a very high BTU infra-red that is attached to its own little wire rack; it can point up at a 45 degree angle to heat you, or point straight up to cook on.

Mr. Buddy's replacement still works a dozen years later; never did find out cause of Mr. Buddy's death.

I use mine with an adapter hose that allows any heater that is made to use those little propane tanks; it connects up to the 5# er.
    number one failure cause of Mr buddy...

when using a bulk tank...20 lb+ one must install a filter.. sold seperatly...there is a lot of moisture in the bulk tanks that kills the heater for some reason..
    look for the filter along side the adapter hoses and such.. they are about 16 bucks...

i have 3... 2 single burner and 1 big buddy.. i pack them to hell and back and use them to heat the house while the monitor is in service...

Rob... they will do you ok... the new ones also have auto shut off if CO2 gets out of hand..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

i have a big propane tank with a flower top it can get to 70 + degrees in a shack when running
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    i have a big propane tank with a flower top it can get to 70 + degrees in a shack when running

Sweet! You will have to bring it along!
    AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Default Buddy died alone

Quote Originally Posted by Vince View Post
    number one failure cause of Mr buddy...

when using a bulk tank...20 lb+ one must install a filter.. sold seperatly...there is a lot of moisture in the bulk tanks that kills the heater for some reason..
    News to me.

I wonder why my Mr. Buddy was the only death, because I've never used a filter, and my bulk adapter has easily a dozen years of use. I must just live right, eh?

will do! let me know when you have an opening and ill get the boy and meet ya

Quote Originally Posted by 900fusion View Post
    Same here, only I run it on a 5# tank. Less weight to carry around and smaller in the portable.

How tight is ur shack gonna be. Couple years ago we were running a propane heater in the shack and one of the guys couldnt light his smoke went outside no problem. not enough oxygen to light a lighter. anything you have that has an open flame will burn things just sayin.a small direct vent heater and a fan mounted on the ceiling pointed down will help ur icey floor ur gonna have and to disperse heat as i see u didnt insulate the floor. Bank ur shack with snow it will help ALOT. Tight lines and dont forget to check your bait.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    How tight is ur shack gonna be. Couple years ago we were running a propane heater in the shack and one of the guys couldnt light his smoke went outside no problem. not enough oxygen to light a lighter. anything you have that has an open flame will burn things just sayin.a small direct vent heater and a fan mounted on the ceiling pointed down will help ur icey floor ur gonna have and to disperse heat as i see u didnt insulate the floor. Bank ur shack with snow it will help ALOT. Tight lines and dont forget to check your bait.
    Thanks Dube, I was thinking of putting down some of those foam blocks they sell at Costco to help insulate the floor as well as make it easier to clean up. I have been considering a sheep herders stove like they put in a wall tent but the infra-red propane tank mounted style may be a better idea. I would like to be able to heat water or do some light cooking in the shack.

I was thinking of caulking the joints to help with keeping the wind out and I thought I would get enough air flow from the holes in the floor, but if I bank it with snow I imagine that could be a problem. Maybe I'll make one of the small windows so it is easy to open a bit to get some flow. Cracking the door would be an option too I guess.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    Air is definetely a problem with these heaters and can be dangerous if you are sealed up too tight in the house. I run a sunflower in mine because of the quick heat it puts out and seldom a problem to lite up. They do rob oxygen thow to run and I've been kicking around the idea of maybe welding a small tube nipple to the burner shield so I can pop an air intake hose on it that runs outside the house to collect air for the air hungry devil. Good thought I think, if I can make it work.
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

I use the Mr. Buddy style heater also. It works fine for our Canvas shanty, although it really only brings the temperature up by about 40 degrees. Still, 50 is better than 10 degrees!

I'll be using a plywood floor this year, so hopefully that helps retain a little more heat inside as well. If only fishing 2 people in the shanty, we bring along a second propane heater (catalytic) to supplement the Mr. Buddy.

Good luck.

Really think about a fan they have them at sportsmans warehouse for like 20 bucks runs off 4 d batteries they help ALOT i would also go with propane if u can find the right heater. For a window i went to cache camper and bought a roof vent for 30 bucks or so and mounted that as my crank out window works awesome

I solved all my heat troubles with a one of these top tank burners, made by several sources, here is just one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Radian.../dp/B002KLM6PY

I have used mine for years without issues in and out of a portable hut.
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

Quote Originally Posted by JediMasterSalmonSlayer View Post
    I solved all my heat troubles with a one of these top tank burners, made by several sources, here is just one example:

http://www.amazon.com/Propane-Radian.../dp/B002KLM6PY

I have used mine for years without issues in and out of a portable hut.
    Jedi,

I just picked up one of those today at Lowes for around the same price. Sure looks like it will do the trick.

I think once I figure out the best place to put the heater I will cut a vent in right behind it so it can draw in and heat the cold air without cooling the entire shack.
    AKmud

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    Jedi,

I just picked up one of those today at Lowes for around the same price. Sure looks like it will do the trick.

I think once I figure out the best place to put the heater I will cut a vent in right behind it so it can draw in and heat the cold air without cooling the entire shack.
    Just leave the door cracked and drill a couple holes right outside the jut and dead stick or use a tip-up? That what I do I cant sit still long enough to shut the zipper anyway..
    http://www.myfishingpictures.com/watermark.php?file=133776
    Jedi Salmon Powers Activated!
    www.alaskansalmonslayers.com

mines like that but square.