Thread: 416 Rem. Mag. 350 Kodiaks

Default 416 Rem. Mag. 350 Kodiaks

Does anyone out there have any experience with Kodiak bullets in the 416 Rem Mag.?
    Thanks

I think it will kinda' depend on the rifle...different rifles can be unique in their "preferences" regarding different bullets....same but to a lesser degree with powders...optimal powder selection tends to be more caliber specific. You will just have to try them in your rifle and then compare the results to other brands of bullets.....that you have also tried in the same rifle....ain't no other way to find out for sure.

Default 416 Kodiaks..

Yes, I do. Kodiaks are very good bullets. Very accurate in several 416's I've tried. I've used the 400 grains and the 350's. The Remington and Rigby velocities, 2600 or more, for the 350 are a little fast for that bullet in tough guys. It will expand very quickly and not penetrate so well. It is certainly the opposite end of the spectrum where the 416 penetrates too much. (not normally a bad thing)

In the Taylor or just loading it to 2400 fps in the Remington, etc. it is quite a performer and that is the best way to reduce the recoil of the 416's. I run the 400's at 2400 fps and the 350's at 2450 fps and that seems to make the combo very effective. For the great cats the 350 is an absolute, bang flop, dead and done, kind of rifle. It is THE leopard bullet for the 416. The kodiak is my bullet of choice for the cats and grizzlies in 375 or 416.

The Kodiaks are a tapered jacket, bonded bullet. They will turn inside out but still retain 85-95% of their weight. What makes them so good is the extremely reliable and predictable nature of them and how it is controlled so well by adjusting the impact velocity range. They probably wouldn't do well at extreme velocity, such as the Weatherby but at 2400ish they are devastating. This is actually my go-to bullet in just about every normal velocity caliber. I buy them direct from Juneau and they are cheaper than any other premium bullet.

Note: Some animals were actually killed during the testing of these bullets.
    Is there nothing so sacred on this earth that you aren't willing to kill or die for?

"Note: Some animals were actually killed during the testing of these bullets."

That's kinda contrary to discussion of bullet performance isn't it?

Default Shot some kodiaks today

To begin with thanks for the info. I've always had outstanding performance with nosler bullets but I was curious about the kodiaks since I wanted to try out this 416 I've had sitting for awhile. I was thinking that a 350 grain bullet might be more appropriate in this caliber for bear and moose.

I went to the range this morning and I must say that you were right Murphy.
    350 Kodiak, 83.0 RL15, F215, 3.60 OAL
    Model 70 classic safari express, 24" barrel.
    Velocity @ 10' from the muzzle 2679 avg.

Now I just have to decide if I need this much gun or to let it find a new home.
    I'm awful fond of my 375's.

Thanks again!
    Last edited by 375AIJGS; 06-18-2007 at 23:39.

Talking

IF you need this much gun?? what am i hearing??? if...since when was there an IF...oh man, don't say that around that fourtyonesix, mine gets sad if i even look at my .338, so i try to take them out without the other knowing...IF, geez and i thought i was gonna have a good day today....
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212

Talking

Quote Originally Posted by BRWNBR View Post
    IF you need this much gun?? what am i hearing??? if...since when was there an IF...oh man, don't say that around that fourtyonesix, mine gets sad if i even look at my .338, so i try to take them out without the other knowing...IF, geez and i thought i was gonna have a good day today....
    Sorry to ruin your day BRWNBR. After I read your post I noticed a tear running down the scope lens so I apologized to her, gave her a good cleaning and rubbed her belly a little before I put her away. I think she feels better now.

your a good man, with a good heart....lol
    Www.blackriverhunting.com
    Master guide 212