Thread: 7x57

Default 7x57

I am looking to build a 7x57 n my old Remington 721. Where do I take it for the best bang for my Dollar?

SwampView AK, Overlooking Mt. Mckinley and Points Beyond.

Quote Originally Posted by skeet396 View Post
    I am looking to build a 7x57 n my old Remington 721. Where do I take it for the best bang for my Dollar?
    It's sure nice to know up front what kinda money is involved. I suggest, you call around to the various gunsmiths. Not only for prices, but what they're capable, of doing, and what you need done.

Don't forget to ask about feeding issues.

Smitty of the North
    Walk Slow, and Drink a Lotta Water.
    Has it ever occurred to you, that Nothing ever occurs to God? Adrien Rodgers.
    You can't out-give God.

Depends on how far you want to go with it. Custom trigger? Custom stock? "BUILD" can mean almost anything.

ER Shaw chrome molley barrels in Reminton contours are listed on their sight for $175 and $110 more gets it fitted to you action. Then you still have to blue the barrel. Cost wise they are as low dollar as almost anyone.

Is the 721 something of sentimental value? If so I can see why you would be doing what your doing. If not I'd part ways with it and get a 7mm-08 which for all real purposes is a balistic twin to the 7x57.

A used 721 in decent shape is worth around $300 in trade value( at leat thats all they bring in the midwest). Then add to that the money that it would cost to get this gun where you want it and you'll see you'd probably be money ahead just to trade it on a new Remmy in 7mm-08.

Much as I love the 7x57 (we have three of them), I have to agree with EKC's points on money and ballistics. If the 7-08 had been around when my wife and daughters started shooting, I have no doubt we'd own three 7-08's rather than 7x57's.

IT&D Gunsmithing out of state but reasonable and good service. They ship USPS also.

hap

Quote Originally Posted by kk alaska View Post
    IT&D Gunsmithing out of state but reasonable and good service. They ship USPS also.
    +1

They do it well and fast...

Quote Originally Posted by skeet396 View Post
    I am looking to build a 7x57 n my old Remington 721.
    The 721 is a long action. While a 7x57 will work, I'm just wondering why you don't go .280 instead?

hap

Or at least AI the 7x57... PO said he felt the7x57AI was the best improvement available for any cartridge in his work...

While I like the 7-08 a lot, the 7x57 brings a little extra to the table both with a modest increase in speed, or handling heavier bullets a little better, and in feeding. The 7x57 case taper is a huge asset compared to the 7-08 in a long action.

I think the 7x57 is one of the cooler cartridges around, and If I wasnt a 6.5x55 freakazoid I would have one. But then again, my lusts turn to stuff like .455 Webley, 32-20, 38 Wadcutters, .32 S&W.....

Boondocks in Eagle River has a Rem 700 Mtn in 7 X 57 AI FS.