Thread: Aladdin Lamp oil

Default Aladdin Lamp oil

Anyone know where I can buy lamp oil in Anchorage? It has to be oil for Aladdin lamps only. Thanks

Why does it need to be Aladdin oil? Most lamp oil I have found is very expensive. I have used stove oil, it smokes till you get the wick trimmed correctly. Jet A50 would be better or a very high grade fuel oil. It all works fine it just is more cost effective to get 5 gal. of one than 2 quarts of the other...

Just what I have found being a long way away from lamp oil and need the light.

George

I guess because Aladdin lamp oil burns clean with no smell and I can afford it. I am 200 miles from the road system.

Hey George, FYI, I use to be the winter caretaker for Ron Hayes at Alaska Rainbow Lodge years ago. A friend of mine just opened a lodge at the mouth of the Kvichak, Igiugig Lodge, his name is Brad Waitman. Know him?

I do know Brad,

Took my sit=on=top Kayak for his family to enjoy when the weather is good at the lake. As far as diesel in the lamps, I didn't notice any smell whilst burning. I do notice a slight diesel smell sometimes in the cabin when things settle down. I always had a fear of the clients knocking over the lamps after I had turned the generator off and gone to bed. I started searching for battery lamps. LED lamps don't have quite the romantic glow but it is a lot safer. I have small ones for the rooms and a couple larger ones for the dinning area for those who wish to stay up and visit after 11pm lights out.

Brad got a batter plant and inverter that has worked well for him. I went up and took a tour, he has much more power draw than I but I need to go in that direction.

Geroge

Quote Originally Posted by George Riddle View Post
    I do know Brad,

Took my sit=on=top Kayak for his family to enjoy when the weather is good at the lake. As far as diesel in the lamps, I didn't notice any smell whilst burning. I do notice a slight diesel smell sometimes in the cabin when things settle down. I always had a fear of the clients knocking over the lamps after I had turned the generator off and gone to bed. I started searching for battery lamps. LED lamps don't have quite the romantic glow but it is a lot safer. I have small ones for the rooms and a couple larger ones for the dinning area for those who wish to stay up and visit after 11pm lights out.

Brad got a batter plant and inverter that has worked well for him. I went up and took a tour, he has much more power draw than I but I need to go in that direction.

Geroge

I'm sure glad he is doing good. He was at Valhalla Lodge for a lot of years and this was the best move he could make. I also use to caretake for Ron Hayes. I have been caretaking lodges for about 25 years.

I do know Brad,

Geroge

Did you ever think about hanging Aladdin lamps? Can't knock those over>

ok not positive about alladin lamp oil but the wife in the past for
    our couple of oil lamps got the lamp oil from wally world
    she even got pretty colors if that is important hehehehe
    hope this might help

AK4ever,

Didn't have enough at the time to have them in fixed positions also having client deal with open flames was a huge concern. LED lamps cured that and even tho the batteries last quite a while still have to have them on line. Looks like I might have alternate energy this year so will not be an issue any more. ( I hope).

I think Brad will make it fine, he is working very hard. Still hard to get a business going like this and having to hire help is tough for many reasons.

If you get a chance to get to the valley, let me know ahead of tiem and we can hook up for coffee.

George

Aladins are all good until you have one of those mystery flame ups. No way I'd let the inexperienced run them. I grew up with them and we always burned K-1 Kerosene. Never had a smell problem. I sell lamp oil in my store and it works well with Aladins also...probably the same lamp oil as Fred Meyer or Walmart.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Growing up with oil lamps, my dad used to buy cleaning solvent as he said the bulk kerosene had jet fuel additives. Not sure of his info but I certainly remember filling a lot of lamps and reading a lot of books by the "soft glow" of a kerosene lamp. They don't put a lot of light though and wick trimming as I remember is a bit of an art.

AK4ever,

Didn't have enough at the time to have them in fixed positions also having client deal with open flames was a huge concern. LED lamps cured that and even tho the batteries last quite a while still have to have them on line. Looks like I might have alternate energy this year so will not be an issue any more. ( I hope).

I think Brad will make it fine, he is working very hard. Still hard to get a business going like this and having to hire help is tough for many reasons.

If you get a chance to get to the valley, let me know ahead of tiem and we can hook up for coffee.

George

I will be in the valley area next summer. I own land about 5 miles North of Alexander Lake and am building a cabin there. I plan on finishing it next summer. Do you live close to Brad? I will be spending time at Deshka Landing. I will keep my camper and track vehicle there.

Quote Originally Posted by Lvnthdrm View Post
    Growing up with oil lamps, my dad used to buy cleaning solvent as he said the bulk kerosene had jet fuel additives. Not sure of his info but I certainly remember filling a lot of lamps and reading a lot of books by the "soft glow" of a kerosene lamp. They don't put a lot of light though and wick trimming as I remember is a bit of an art.

I enjoy my lamps, I really don't care for electric lights. There is something about that warm glow that is very soothing.

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    Aladins are all good until you have one of those mystery flame ups. No way I'd let the inexperienced run them. I grew up with them and we always burned K-1 Kerosene. Never had a smell problem. I sell lamp oil in my store and it works well with Aladins also...probably the same lamp oil as Fred Meyer or Walmart.

Regular lamp oil doesn't work in my lamps. Mine have mantles and regular lamp oil is bad for the mantles.

Quote Originally Posted by alaska4ever View Post
    Regular lamp oil doesn't work in my lamps. Mine have mantles and regular lamp oil is bad for the mantles.
    I'm not sure I've heard this before....bad in what way? We've used Kerosene, Klean heet, lamp oil, etc. in our Aladdins and they seem to work fine...

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'm not sure I've heard this before....bad in what way? We've used Kerosene, Klean heet, lamp oil, etc. in our Aladdins and they seem to work fine...

from Lehmans

Genuine Aladdin Lamp Oil

Recommended for all Aladdin lamps
    Aladdin recommends using only kerosene or Aladdin Lamp Oil for their lamps. Kerosene burns with a distinctive smell that some people don't like. Aladdin Lamp Oil is a distilled product (not refined) and burns odor-free.

Ak4ever,

I will be in Bristol Bay during the summer. Brad lives just out side of Wasilla, I haven't hooked up with him this winter.

The smell I was refering to was the diesel smell sometimes coming from the lamp not lit. I don't recall any smell once the wick was trimed correctly. It does discolor if left over winter...

George

Ak4ever,

I will be in Bristol Bay during the summer. Brad lives just out side of Wasilla, I haven't hooked up with him this winter.

The smell I was refering to was the diesel smell sometimes coming from the lamp not lit. I don't recall any smell once the wick was trimed correctly. It does discolor if left over winter...

George

I will be spending the summer on my land up by Skwentna finishing my cabin. Plus, I am going to try to build a bridge across this big creek between my land and this much bigger lake.