Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Chessie litters?

Default Chessie litters?

Anyone know of a good breeder with new or soon-planned litters in the state?

I am last in line for a male from Chesaka in Chugiak in a couple weeks, but she had one get sick today and is pretty sure it is meningitis, and I don't think I want to fork over that much for a dog with health issues. She is obviously a really good breeder and the sire and dam are excellent dogs, which makes me sad about it because I was looking forward to a top-notch pup.

So anyway, if you know of a quality breeder on the state, please let me know.

I am not interested in labs, just in case anyone wonders. Chessies only. Thanks.

Well, bummer again....had to put the pup down because he was suffering with 106 fever. Hate it for the breeder since she was the one who spent time with him.

I know you want one in the state but I ran into a guy at the park this summer that is a duck hunter from juneau and had a 6mo chessie pup. Great looking dog. http://asdkennels.com/ Might look into them for my next

Thanks. I really want one in-state. I don't like what the air travel can do to pups, plus that would push the price over what I can afford.

If you find one out of state that meets your needs I'd be happy to make a request for someone coming into Alaska to bring the pup with them (I'm on every local dog show/training list you can think of). If they carry it on, it's generally a $100 fee. It's not as hard on them being carried on...I'm headed to Seattle on the 8th to pick up our newest addition but don't think you'd be set up with a pup that fast.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Wow. Thanks for the offer. I am looking at getting one out of Montana, but I don't know how that would work with your offer. $100 would not be bad - it is the 350-450 price tag that I can't do. If I can get one there, would that work in any way? I will start looking in the Seattle area just in case. Thanks again!

Sure! It wouldnt be a problem. They would just have to meet me at the airport in Seattle to get her/him checked in. Since I already have a carry on pup I can only have one but it can accompany us underneath and I'll be there to great it when it comes off the plane...you'll just have to come get it when we get in....As long as transportation on both ends is taken care of it's not a big deal to check a dog..The same thing with others coming this way as well, if you know someone coming up just have them transport the pup or like I said, I can check with my dog show folks who travel allover the US....
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Nothing in the Seattle area due at that time that I have found. I really do like the dogs at ASD (thanks rrjfish - i had looked at them before, but good to know someone has seen one of their dogs), so let me know if anyone near Billings, MT is headed this way...maybe for Christmas?? They will be ready Dec 21. Thanks again.

Scratch that - they won't be able to fly until Dec 28, and I doubt anyone is coming HERE at that time! LOL

There is a new litter here locally that I am going to check out tomorrow, so hopefully things check out good with that. If, by some miracle, someone is flying this way from Billings around the end of Dec, let me know! Thanks. See you at the next Trapper meeting....first tuesday, right?

Thanks, Captain. I am going to look at that litter tomorrow, but I am a little uneasy seeing as the parents have not been tested for hips/eyes, and there is no health guarantee. They are considerably less than shipping from the lower 48, but still pretty expensive to get a problem pup. I guess I will see what kind of guarantee I can garner if I decide I like them. Thanks again.

Well, you'll get my lecture! Don't settle for less just because they are local. Get your chessie from a reputable breeder even if it means waiting 6 months...They have enough problems without going to someone who isn't so reputable from the sounds of it. (I know you already know that!) lol....

There are always options, who knows, maybe someone is coming back from visiting family around Dec 28th..

I had an 8 wk. old Chessie pup shipped to Fairbanks from Denver a couple years ago. It cost $156.80 on Alaska Airlines ($150 Animal Express plus $6.80 tax), and she wasn't traumatized at all.

Encourage anyone buying (or considering buying) a puppy to do some research -- well, a lot of research. AKC registration, OFA, PennHip, CERF, genetic testing, etc. are not guarantees, but an indication the breeder had intentions other than just cranking out puppies.

The only thing about shipping a pup unattended is that there are flight embargos during the winter. Unless something has changed (its been 4 years since Ive had a pup shipped up) they wont ship puppies in the winter time.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by 3CBRS View Post
    Encourage anyone buying (or considering buying) a puppy to do some research -- well, a lot of research. AKC registration, OFA, PennHip, CERF, genetic testing, etc. are not guarantees, but an indication the breeder had intentions other than just cranking out puppies.

wow i cant agree with that more... after going through heck with the griffon we had shipped up little over two years ago.. absolutely traumatized when we got him and went slowly down hill after that...

i should have had some indication when every other breeder was sold out or booked litters in advance... and this one had 5 month old pups still sitting with the dam.

ended up with a dog with extremely high vet bills, and a Prozac bill every month.. that needed dosage increases to keep him calm.. and UN-trainable.. would forget every thing over night... we started from scratch at every turn... but he always had a good personality about it.. happy friendly dog..

when it got to much, i contacted, and was also contacted through others several reputable Griffon rescues... who all told me the same thing.. put him down. the area he came from has a history of mental distress, ( to keep it nice).. and in the end thats what i did...

it is very hard and painful to put that much love and work into a dog only to have to destroy them young in life.. but i could not stand to see him try to commit doggie suicide every day either...

I am not sure i will ever order another dog with out meeting it and the breeder Prior to purchase..
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

I had a Chessie shipped up in August 2010 from California. I think it costed $340 Alaskan Air Lines. If the plane had a long lay over and could not make it in 1 day it was going to cost me another $200 for boarding for the pup. As far as the purchase of the dog I had a contract that stated if there was any thing wrong with the pup they would take the pup back and I had the choice of my money back or another pup. This pup I purchased for her temperment to have as a friend and not so much for hunting. What I got was a good friend and a dog that wants to retrieve/hunt.

Well I have done my research - like I said, I had a good breeder lined up and it fell through, and I was really hesitant about this litter on Craigslist, and now I have found out that they have the sire and dam's lineage, but that is all...no health clearances or anything, and no health guarantee. That said, I went with ASD in Montana and the pup will be ready to ship December 28. If anyone happens to be flying this way, awesome. If not, I guess I will bite the bullet and pay for shipping.

For some stupid reason you cannot edit after 20 minutes or delete your own posts on this forum - why? I have no idea. Someone has control issues, I guess.

Anyway, ASD also guarantees the health of their pups for 2 years, so it is worth the extra to go with them, in my opinion.

Default chesse pup

I purchased a pup from a breeder in MO from the line of Butch Godwins dogs, if you know chesses youll know of him at any rate she is 6 mo and dynamite excellent health all clear on hips and I plan to breed her to get some out of state good blood up here. no problems with the air shipping this breeder was excellent. Really not a big deal.

Quote Originally Posted by widgeon 1 View Post
    I purchased a pup from a breeder in MO from the line of Butch Godwins dogs, if you know chesses youll know of him at any rate she is 6 mo and dynamite excellent health all clear on hips and I plan to breed her to get some out of state good blood up here. no problems with the air shipping this breeder was excellent. Really not a big deal.
    If you do, let me know. I may want a male by the time she is due.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast