Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: what snow shoes?

Default what snow shoes?

Can anyone recommend a good set of snow shoes to buy, I need some and have no idea what kind to buy or what are good. Im looking to get off trail into the deeper stuff, dont know if the plan for use makes a difference in selection or not but mainly using for off trail predator hunting etc. Not looking for the most expensive pair out there just a good quality easy to use pair.
    Thanks.

MSR makes some near bulletproof ones. I've used my Denali Evo Assents for 4 years now, trapping, spring bear hunting, hiking into mt. lakes to icefish. I like the MSR plastic platform, they wont rip or loose rivets/grommets like many of the webbed styles will. Many MSR's have crampon like traction too. The Televator feature under the heal allows you to assend inclines with your foot level while your snowshoe is gripping at 45 degrees. With added floatation tails, they'll be about $250, maybe more now, but after years of service I'd buy a new pair in a minute.

Bit of a traditionalist but I love my Iversons. Float like carzy even with a heavy pack and whisper quiet. These are shoes you can stalk in, My wife and now son use the more modern metal and plastic shoes. I can hear them from a mile away and I'm old!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

I'm with Rick if you plan on being in the deep stuff. I have a tube frame pair that are 9x30s. I weigh about 190 and in 24 inch deep snow someone on foot only sinks about 4 inches more than I do. The main thing they do in deep stuff in provide a stable platform. The bigger traditional style allow you to float much much better.
    If you live your whole life afraid to die... Then you can never truly live!

You will need at least three pair of snowshoes, and extra bindings (in your pack). The type of Bindings is way more important than the style of snowshoe. You'll also want two sharp 8" nails, and a easy access knife to cut the bindings off.

I agree with nitroshrew, MSR's are the way to go.

I'm with Rick on the traditionals. Love my Alaskan IIs & Bear Paws. AGL4now, what's your favorite bindings?
    Vance in AK.

Matthew 6:33
    "But seek first the kingdom of God and His righteousness, and all these things shall be added to you."

I love my MSR Denali classics with the 4" floatation tails. This model has been replaced by the EVO. The bindings are stupid simple and work great with any boot. On and off in seconds. Aggressive ice grippers on the bottom and at your boot toe so you can walk over or up any surface type.

http://www.e-omc.com/catalog/product...Snowshoes.html
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

I bought a set that looked similar to the MSR's a few years ago from REI. They didn't keep me on top of the snow as much as I wanted so I sold the pair and bought some old magnesium/wire rope military snowshoes. They were double as wide and longer. A new set of bindings and they worked perfect. I think I paid $50 for the pair. You can get them from the Army/Navy store in Anchorage - here is a photo to see what they look like.
    "He should have been packing a more powerful gun...you have to be a very good shot or very lucky to stop a brown bear with a .357 Magnum." - Rick Sinnott, Alaska Department of Fish and Game biologist after a double attack by a grizzly.

Quote Originally Posted by Vance in AK View Post
    I'm with Rick on the traditionals. Love my Alaskan IIs & Bear Paws. AGL4now, what's your favorite bindings?

"MAKI" is my choice. and I loath leather or nylon, as when they get wet and freeze you have to either cut them off, or pour hot water, or pee in them.

Quote Originally Posted by Rick P View Post
    Bit of a traditionalist but I love my Iversons. Float like carzy even with a heavy pack and whisper quiet. These are shoes you can stalk in, My wife and now son use the more modern metal and plastic shoes. I can hear them from a mile away and I'm old!
    Right you are Rick.The metal and plastic shoes are quiet noisy- especially if the snow has any crust. I have several pairs of them but generally return to my LL Bean Maine bearpaws unless I am going to climb a sidehill after birds.

My friend had the old army metal shoes as AkOutdoorsman posted about. I was impressed at how the maker took a traditional design and went with it. Fairly light and indestructible. If I ever find a pair at a garage sale I will buy them.

AGL- peeing on my leather bindings is what has kept them intact after 20 plus years of use!

Naw, I just keep them soaked with silicone shoe conditioner and they remain supple.

In closing, I'd have to say that for powdery (or even crusty) snow over flat country, the old wood/babiche shoes are my choice for rabbit hunting 'cause they are quiet. For pokey stuff that could ruin babiche, or for sidehilling I will go for the new fangled units because they have ice grippers. Very helpful.

I had two pairs of the early Sherrpa snowshoes with the nylon bindings, man did I ever loath those bindings. The thing I like about the Bob "MAKI" bindings is that if I am up to my crotch in ice water, I can use a ski-pole or rifle butt-stock to get the shoes off.

Click image for larger version. 

Name:	4542232367_5ccf3403d2_b.jpg 
Views:	64 
Size:	69.3 KB 
ID:	42476

Not sure why I dont see more shoes set up like this. I grew up in the Upper peninsula of Michigan and was taught right off. "Gettin' shoes is the first step, now rig em' so your not on yer arse everytime you go down da hill."

Links from dog "training collars" I didn't know folks actually used them on dogs till I was in my 20's. Kinda figured they kept making them so you had something to use for snowshoe cleats. They hold better than the notched U-bar found on most modern shoes and no iceing up!
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

What are the nails for? and where do you get the bindings?

The nails are for when you fall through the ice on a lake or river. You use the nails too pull yourself out, then stay on your belly and use the nails to drag yourself to the edge or thicker ice.

http://www.northwoodsports.com/index...=index&cPath=5
    You will want the large for bunny boots, and you will want a spare pair. But they are ambidextrous if rip one binding. http://forums.outdoorsdirectory.com/...-Maki-bindings

Awesome, really appreciate it! You just put your boot through the hole and stretch it over the heel?

Quote Originally Posted by limon32 View Post
    Awesome, really appreciate it! You just put your boot through the hole and stretch it over the heel?
    That is correct............

I would get on ebay or check out garage sales and look for C.A. lund wooden snow shoes that are 10X56. They where made in the 40ies and I think the 50ies for the Military. They are the best pair that I have ever found. They have a big upturn on the toe 10" or so. What that does for you is that that you don't have to raise your knees as high and it will save enegry. If you can find them they run about 200 or so used. If you look hard enough you can still find them brand new. My second choice would be snocraft. They where made on lund jigs. They where made in the 50ies. Wooden one will give you more loft, will not collect as much snow on top of them, are more quiet then alumium ones. You can get leather bindings and they will fit different size boots. So in the early winter when you are out in lighter boots the bindings will still fit and then in the middle of winter when you have pack boots on you can just mkae them bigger to fit the bigger boots. The only maintance that I have done is every year is put a coat of marine varnish and then inspect the bindings.

The Maki bindings are what I plan on going with. They are basically a modern iteration of the old inner-tube bindings. Another cheap option is to just make your own, just like the ones that "Maki" got his design from. If you DIY them then you can build to suit your needs. You can add a longer tail on the heel to help pull them on and off. I would also add hole in the tail for using ski pole to remove them.

http://www.woodex-meco.com/snowshoes.php

I use the MilSurp and a loop of intertube for binding
    Now left only to be a turd in the forrest and the circle will be complete.Use me as I have used you

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast