Thread: chronograph brands?

Default chronograph brands?

I felt like a carpenter without a saw and finally bought a chronograph....should have done it years ago. I'm not sure if I got a good one or not. It is the $98.99 Competition Electronics brand ordered from Midway
    http://www.midwayusa.com/Search/#chr..._1-2-4_8-16-32

Not to late to cancel if I bought a bad one. Anyone know? I hope it works in cold wx....some only worked to 32 degrees (the Liquid crystal display, I'm guessing).
    I saw yesterday that Sportsman's has an RCBS bullet shaped chrony on sale and it has a built in carry case.

Some great sales at Midway USA this weekend.

Have that same one and love it. Works great and I don't think you'll be disappointed.

As much as I hate to throw a bad review in the mix, sometimes it's worth it to the new buyer (with options to change as you mention)

I got the very unit you just ordered, also from Midway, last winter, worked fine for quite a bit of shooting, (maybe 1500 rounds plus, seemed all good) ran all kinds of ammo through it to test, etc. seemed fine until this summer for some reason it started losing reads, then got Really Unreliable. Tried everything, tons of "New Batteries," etc.
    I pulled it apart as I don't really believe in warranties, (by the time it is shipped for repair from Kodiak it's not cost effective) and found everything inside just set in place, (they might all be that way) but I tried securing the components with epoxy, etc. just trouble shooting. Put back together it worked fine for another 200 rounds or so and is now failing about 7 out of 10 shots. New batts, everything, different lighting arrangements, etc., it's just not picking up stuff it used to get with no problem..... Aaaarrrghhh

As I am hooked on the need for a Chrony now, I just ordered a Shooting Chrony Alpha Master,(next one down at that website you ordered from. Trying again, but I have seen more of those around at the range here so went with what seems to working for folks here.

I'd heard good things about those Comp Elec ones but went for it as it was cheapest, shouldn't have I guess(?). Maybe I just got a lemon(?) Maybe yours will work fine, but if it was a friend who could still chg the order, I'd toss in the few extra bucks and go Shooting Chrony, Alpha or Beta master

Just my experience, once you have one, it Absolutely cannot fail, or your shooting seems a waste. I'm paralyzed reloading til my new Chrony arrives....

Good Luck with what you get, you'll love having the Velocity readings tho, good move
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

I had a Chrony. Shot it. Got another. Still have it, but just had to get an Oehler so found a good deal on one. They are making a short run of them. The best.

http://www.oehler-research.com/model35.html
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

I would love to have an Oehler but at $575.00 per copy I'll have to wait until my cheap reliable Alpha Master lets me down, three years and counting with no problems.

http://www.oehler-research.com/cgi-l...caa+1291163529

I should have clicked on your link before I posted. I don't have the one you posted but CED M2 which I love. Sorry about the bad info.

http://www.shootingsoftware.com/chronographs.htm

Geez! now no good reviews!! It is on the way now. Thanks all. So do you guys set up on a tri-pod a few feet in front of the muzzle at the range? I hope it works in cold weather.

I have had an old Chrony for many years. Paid $79 for it....It has been shot twice. Once back around 1990 with a 38 special and I managed to epoxy and tape it together enough to work.
    I just shot it again last week with a hot 10mm. It is now very dead. See photo...
    I also own a very old Ohler 33. With 4 foot sky screens. It is a bigger pain in the butt to work with...
    The little guys on a tripod 15 feet ahead of the muzzle work just fine for most things. Just take a piece of paper and a pencil with you and all will be well.
    The 9 volt batteries do eventually go dead in the cold, but what the heck. I shoot some groups, the pull the chronograph out of the warm truck and fire 5-10- shots for a velocity average.

Bright light on snow will give you werird readings. The things work on sensing the shadow of the bullet and timing the differnce. The snow reflects a lot of light and the shadow does weird things.
    The sun gouing down at a steep angle this time of year will also do weird things.
    If you use one inside, you need to use light from a REAL LIGHT BULB Not the Al Gore twisty things that make you go blind. The florescent garbage light bulbs flicker at such a rate that the chronograph thinks it is seeing all sorts of shadows passing by.
    Attached Images Attached Images
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Default May have been my tripod switch??

Quote Originally Posted by rifleshooter View Post
    Geez! now no good reviews!! It is on the way now. Thanks all. So do you guys set up on a tri-pod a few feet in front of the muzzle at the range? I hope it works in cold weather.
    Ha ha, so, did you switch your order out? No,........? Didn't read your own thread ??? (grin)
    You'll be alright with that one, probably
    Didn't mean to bum you out, seriously I have heard plenty of good on those brand Chrony's, I got the info on these Forums also

Mine originally did work well in cold also, at least Kodiak cold, (which maybe was as low as 25F and still shooting) never had a problem with that, and the instructions were to go about 5paces, 12-15ft out front of the muzzle at the range

PS have been recently reading more on Chrony's (from the link on Hewey's post #6) and they are mentioning using a quality stable tripod as eliminating errors, that may have been some of my problems as I believe I may have started getting "No Read" problems right about when I had switched out the Tripod I was using (been using a cheaper one lately, may be flexing with the powder blast and affecting reads??)
    So make sure and get a good tripod, don't scrimp there. I'm gonna gi ve mine one more try while I wait for my new one to arrive, using the high quality tripod I started with, see if it makes a difference.

Good Luck with yours, you are going to love the Velocity Mania tho, believe me

That's some good shooting, Floatpilot
    Ten Hours in that little raft off the AK peninsula, blowin' NW 60, in November.... "the Power of Life and Death is in the Tongue," and Yes, God is Good !

Dang! Floatpilot I wanted to do that (shoot)to this computer numerous times......but I've never became so frustrated with my handloads!

Hey there FP, you may want to review the manual on that bad boy. You seem a bit confused, the chrony is perfect for finding load velocities but is not especially well suited for penetration tests. Well at least not if you are looking for repeatability results.

Quote Originally Posted by Float Pilot View Post
    The 9 volt batteries do eventually go dead in the cold, but what the heck. I shoot some groups, the pull the chronograph out of the warm truck and fire 5-10- shots for a velocity average.

Bright light on snow will give you werird readings. The things work on sensing the shadow of the bullet and timing the differnce. The snow reflects a lot of light and the shadow does weird things.
    A question for you on this,
    Do you have a solution for the bright reflection off the snow? Laying some Black Visqueen on the ground around the base of it or anything tricky like that?
    I'd never imagined that as a factor before, sounds real, so what do you do for that, besides waiting for summer thaw?

Also I imagine most of you northerners are shooting in quite a bit colder weather, any good tricks for the Battery Life in Cold, problem?
    Winter is my main shooting season, and I'm totally "Chrony Results," addicted now...

My Chrony shot started like this:

I had just fired 10 shots of hot 10mm loads when my buddy walked up behind me and asked, "So how fast are these going?"
    I was part way through a trigger pull and like an idiot I changed my mental focus from the sights to the read-out panel.
    Of course that means that the eyes move down to the LED read-out , which by the way was exactly 1,200 fps, and it was about then that the trigger pressure was enough to launch the next round right where my eyes were looking.
    That 200 grain bullet smacked the Chrony and tripod down into the snow. The bullet went through the electronics and then through another metal partition before going right through the middle of the 9 volt battery.

Kodiak Rain: Any old blue tarp on the snow "under your tripod" will help. One time I taped a couple pieces of target paper to both sides of the sky-screen brackets. That way most of the light was coming straight down from the top and not reflecting up from the sides. That worked pretty well...
    On raining days I have also taped saran-wrap over the sky screens. It keeps the water from building up on the light sensors. If your screens are flat acorss the top just set up the chrony a little at an angle so the water runs off the saran wrap roof.
    Floatplane,Tailwheel and Firearms Instructor- Dragonfly Aero
    Experimental Hand-Loader, NRA Life Member
    http://site.dragonflyaero.com

Lithium batteries work great in cold weather. I see diffrances in velocity readings from the same ammo batch that are do to verying voltages or milli-amps not do to burn rate do to cold weather. So I have learned to use fresh batts and lithiums at that.

I stay to 40-70 degrees for load work less than 40 I do not trusts my chroney's readings. I think two or thre 9 volters in paralle would fix it if it is starved for power.

Quote Originally Posted by kodiakrain View Post
    Also I imagine most of you northerners are shooting in quite a bit colder weather, any good tricks for the Battery Life in Cold, problem?
    Winter is my main shooting season, and I'm totally "Chrony Results," addicted now...
    You've seen those little heaters you can drop in your boots for your toes? They work really well when placed under the battery and the battery wrapped in a washcloth as insulation.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...