Thread: Chainsaws

Default Chainsaws

Got a new husqvarna 235 yesterday, but after reading some online reviews thinking I shoulda bought a 240e instead. Anyone have any experience with either one, also what would you recommend in the $200-250 price range? Thanks

for 200-250$ i would suggest you go out and pick up a qaulity used 026 stihl, you will be very happy with such a bullet proof saw. I run a 20 inch bar with a 3/8 chain on mine, pulls alright through up too 18 inch softwood, such as pine, or fir, does well in alder too. most prefer a 16 inch bar on those saws though... If you are totally bent on getting a husk, go with a used 346xp.

After reading a bunch of online reviews about the 235 I decided to take the chainsaw back to Sears, they didn't have a 346xp in stock so I am gonna check out the Stihl dealer here in Anchorage this coming week, to see what models he has available. Still open to more recommendations. Thanks

After more research decided to replace the Husqvarna 235 with an ECHO CS400. Price was a lil more but reviews were good on this particular saw, also liked the features. I think I made a good choice for my needs. Already have 2 older model Stihls and a Husqvarna, all 3 have been used hard and need to be sent to the shop for repair and tuneups. Used to have a Poulan but gave it to my brother. Had Craftsmans before, never really cared for them at all. Also salvaged a Jonsered that I am planning on rebuilding, it was a throwaway, guess the neighbors didnt take care of it so now it is in my container van. Anyway will see how the Echo works out for me this winter.

Looks you made your choice, but if others are looking....

I ended up with a Stihl MS250 for $320 at Alaska Specialty Service (C-Mas present from the wife). Way more saw than I need, but its a Stihl and someday my son will be running it.. Current sale goes until 12/31.....
    http://www.stihldealer.net/productde...ndeaeerre.aspx
    If you buy the saw there they will sell ya the hard case for an extra $20...

I've always liked Stihl saws, but husqvarnas are good as well. You really can't go wrong with either one in my opinion. I do like Stihl better though.

Let's see... I got my first Stihl saw around 1992 (so I didn't have to borrow dad's Stihl anymore). It's still the first and only saw I've ever owned. Nuff said.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

the echo's are reliable saws, but you will not have as good of power to weight ratio as you would from a huskavarna or a stihl, even a dolmar or jonserd, but the echo does offer a 3 year warranty if im not mistaken. Iv had nothing but good luck with echo's, as long as you dont mind the extra weight without the extra power. I suspect you have a good saw, if your into building saws though.. always better off buyin used and rebuilding with a baileys kit.