Thread: Freezing Rain and Ice Thickness

Default Freezing Rain and Ice Thickness

So, how thick is the ice right now? I was a little concerned last week with all that rain, and the early snow and low temperatures that the ice would not be thick enough. What are all you guys seeing? I have heard rumors of 6 inches. Is it true? Is the thickness uniform all over the lake or mostly just near the edges or what?

Quote Originally Posted by Bushwhack Jack View Post
    So, how thick is the ice right now? I was a little concerned last week with all that rain, and the early snow and low temperatures that the ice would not be thick enough. What are all you guys seeing? I have heard rumors of 6 inches. Is it true? Is the thickness uniform all over the lake or mostly just near the edges or what?
    Hey Jack,

The lake I fished yesterday in the valley had about 5 inches of clear ice with another 3 inches of rotted ice on top. You should be alright for Ice Fishing, my buddy said the ice was bowing under me as I walked out on it, but I think it was just overflow. As always, if it seems sketchy, stop and do a test hole to really see what your walking on.

Fish On!
    You know your not catching any fish when you start talking about the weather...

http://www.alaskansalmonslayers.com/

Thanks for the report Bigcox. Maybe I'll see ya out there.

Depends on where you're talking about, too.

Kenai lake was completely ice free last week. Other lakes in the Cooper Landing area had clear ice with open water cracks as the rain was pouring down. Wouldn't risk going out on any of them until they get another good freezing spell.
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!