Thread: MR Crewcab or 6500...

Default MR Crewcab or 6500...

OK so I've got all winter to sit around dreaming about a sheep or goat tag and I need a bigger hauler than either of the MR packs I've currently got. My rigid frame is getting the boot for mountain hunting and will be relinquished to fish hauling duty.

I've been eyeing the MR crew cab and the 6500 and would like to hear some opinions from others who've used them. Also open to the Grizzly/Kodiak but I don't know much about them. The ideal of using the load sling and frame instead of the pag back to haul meat is pretty appealing.

Pretty sold on the MR products at this point.

Forget the crewcab for what you want. Get the 6500, it carries a truly heavy load MUCH better. The CC doesn't let you adjust the load lifters like the 6500 will which makes a big difference when carrying a significant load and even more significant distance. If I didn't have a McHale custom pack I would have a NICE 6500. The CC is a perfect south east deer pack or an alpine bear pack for making a quick charge up the hill to get on one.

I have the 6500 and I like it mostly. Took a while to fine tune all the straps adjustments to my liking. I have had over 150#'s in it as was not fun. Being fair no pack I have had was fun with that much weight. Rides well up to and including 100#'s Shoulder straps cut at my collar bone with a heavy pack. But still best pack I have had. Packed 5 animals in it last 2 months. Get the biggest you will ever need and can always sinch it down smaller when not hauling a big load.

The crew cab is great pack if you are doing a day hunt. I cinches down really small to get up through alders and tight areas and opens up real wide to haul your boned out meat back out. So far I have only hauled one goat out with it but I love it. I have no experience the the model so no help there.

Quote Originally Posted by dieNqvrs View Post
    I have the 6500 and I like it mostly. Took a while to fine tune all the straps adjustments to my liking. I have had over 150#'s in it as was not fun. Being fair no pack I have had was fun with that much weight. Rides well up to and including 100#'s Shoulder straps cut at my collar bone with a heavy pack. But still best pack I have had. Packed 5 animals in it last 2 months. Get the biggest you will ever need and can always sinch it down smaller when not hauling a big load.
    Well said and what I have experienced with my 6500 as well. Comfy up to 100 pounds anything more isn't fun regardless of type of pack. The 6500 w/o a daypack lid if day pack lid is just over 8 oz heavier than the crewcab and carries the weight much better. The 6500 also compresses down pretty small while you will always have enough space to haul everything you need. W/O the load lifter extenders that the NICE 6500 pack has on it I sure wouldn't want to haul more than 100 lbs very far with a crewcab or the like. If you are wanted a daypack hunting pack on the NICE frame I would look into the longbow over the crewcab. Much better laid out and can still fit the meat you get between you frame and the pack.

Go with the 6500, I have been using my Grizzly for several years and have hauled large loads with ease, heavier not fun but no heavy loads are. Love the MR lineup, its all my group uses. Here's a pix of the Grizzly in use, from Daughter's bear hunt. 8ft Brown bear in top, bottom pouch still closed up.
    IMG_3251.jpg

Default Mr 6500

I bought the 6500 with the load sling last fall. I don't really have much experience compared to other guys on this forum. That being said, I love my pack and the load sling worked wonders for hauling moose out of the field. I have nothing but good things to say about this pack so far. The load sling is easy to attach/detach and easily secures moose quarters. My hunting partner was sold after seeing my pack in action. I wish i had some pics for ya but we never took the camera out while butchering. Long story short the 6500 and the load sling rocks!
    -At what point does "against all enemies foreign and domestic" apply to politicians?

I'm with everyone that the 6500 is the way to go. Im sure i could fill it up if i wanted to but have yet to do it. It handles the weight with as much comfort as possible i had right around 75lbs in it walked about 12 miles with the load. Surprisingly my back and shoulders never felt the weight. Im planning on getting the longbow and a load sling so that i have an all around pack sitting in the house. From what i saw at the sportsmans show you cant beat the layout of the longbow for a day pack. Be sure to get the right size it makes it that much more comfortable.