Thread: getting a sportsman kit installed

Default getting a sportsman kit installed

Anybody know of a mechanic that does good istalls on the sportsman stol kit on a 180? I'm looking at this mod for the summer and would also like to do the Wing X at the same time. Anybody's thoughts and imput are welcome,thanks Tom

I know Jeff over at Seaplanes north does a bunch of the wing x every year. I was thinking about putting them on my 185 but for a little bit more you can put on the flint aero tip tanks and get the gross weight increase and extra fuel if needed. Not sure if they are available for the 180 though.

It's a good idea to do them both at the same time, that way the cuff fits into the extension really nice. I thought the wing X had the gross weight increase as well?

Wing x= upgross and slight performance gain. $

Flint aero= upgross, slight performance gain AND LR fuel. $$

I looked at the flint tips and they are only cert. for the 185 not the 180. I don't even think that I can justifly the internal tanks at around 7 grand installed. I'm looking at the o&n cargo area tank. The best of both worlds is the skycraft pod with fuel in it. The fellow that designed and built them sold the stc to Avocet Float company, he was selling them for 4800.00 so Avocet should be selling them soon for around 20-25 thousand. Just kidding, uh, no I'm serious. Then again lets see how it works out, If affordable I'll buy one of those.

I havent looked into the o&n cargo area tanks but the only issue I have would be the loss of your cargo area. Same thing with the belly tank. I have the cessna pod on my 185 and on most flights that thing is crammed full. The thing I do like about the cessna pod is you can easily fit 7 - 5 gallon gas cans in there and unload them when you get somewhere.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

Need some help here...I am not familiar with the o&n cargo area tanks...My 180 has standard tanks and looking to alternatives to carrying 5 gallon cans in the cargo area...Where can I get some info on these tanks, and specs, such as plumbing, capacity, cost...ect..thanks

IndyCzar, O&N is on line. They don't have a tank for the 180, but I understand you can get one 337 aproved. They mount permanent and the filler goes thru the side of the airframe. They take up about 6" of cargo height and come in 18 gals for the 182 I think, could be wrong. I'd like to have a tank redisigned to go all the way to the front of the back seat. Oh boy, its only just the begining of the winter and I'm already redesigning my airplane, This could lead to plans of putting a JT8D on it by April.

Just 55 miles north of ANC ... on the lake

thanks Tom,...found it...i am just going to stick with a PT6 for my repower...