Thread: 230gr Winchester Fail Safe rounds

Default 230gr Winchester Fail Safe rounds

Where can I find some Winchester Fail Safe rounds in .338WM? I don't reload and am aware that Winchester stopped making these rounds a little while ago. These are my favorite bullets in my .338WM for moose and larger bears and would love to find a few boxes to tuck away. I have 15 rounds left and will check my zero before heading into the field again next year. Any help would be appreciated!

Thanks, John

This is prob as good as any place to start. I would also post on the reloading forum, a WTB on the For Sale forum, post on any of the MULTIPLE internet reloading forums and lastly make the rounds at the gun shows as such items as these are often found there. There is also Craig's List and posting on the internet site for Shotgun News. In fact I may even have a box or two - will check and PM you if I find any. Good luck, I am sure you should be able to find several boxes. Do you want loaded rounds with the 230 gr Fail Safe bullet or just the bullet - I doubt that I would have any of the factory loaded rounds.
    "Actions speak louder than words - 'nough said"

gunbroker.com might be another place to do a periodic search. None there at the moment though, i checked this morning.

Thanks for the replys! I will keep an eye out and get some more posts out there. I don't have any reloading equipment but do know someone that does. I would like to get loaded rounds equal to or better than the factory rounds (I have no idea what the factory uses vs reloading). I have had a few bad experiences with buying reloads though that was a long time ago and out of state. I suspect that anyone on this forum that was willing to sell some of these rounds would provide a quality product. As well if anyone is interested I would like to recruit their services if I could find the bullets only.

Thanks again!
    John

I chuckled when I saw this post. That is the EXACT round that I love the best out of my .338 WM (Ruger 77). Infact, it shot so well, when Winchest stopped making them I went out and bought up as many boxes as I could. I'm down to my last two boxes, which saddens me, as they are great round (however, they shot HORRIBLY out of my 7mm when I tried them out in it which is why I think they stopped making them, as they didn't shoot well in most calibers).

I've been told the Barnes X are good shooters for the .338 and that will be my next to look at, after these last few boxes go.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Your pm box is full JC I have a few I can part with.

Quote Originally Posted by RECRE8R View Post
    Your pm box is full JC I have a few I can part with.
    RECRE8R

I can't send you a PM either, maybe the system is down or something. It tells me you have exceeded your space also. My inbox was empty. Here is my email address, jcostelloinak@yahoo.com.

Thanks!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    I chuckled when I saw this post. That is the EXACT round that I love the best out of my .338 WM (Ruger 77). Infact, it shot so well, when Winchest stopped making them I went out and bought up as many boxes as I could. I'm down to my last two boxes, which saddens me, as they are great round (however, they shot HORRIBLY out of my 7mm when I tried them out in it which is why I think they stopped making them, as they didn't shoot well in most calibers).

I've been told the Barnes X are good shooters for the .338 and that will be my next to look at, after these last few boxes go.
    I think my rifle just loves those nickle cases and oated bullets! I shot some 200gr ballistic silvertips this year and they preformed very well though they are a little light in my opinion for large moose and griz/brown bears. Others may think otherwise but that's just my thought. As well the 230gr bullet carries some much more energy down range! I tried to find some 225gr accubond ct's this year and couldn't find any from Anchorage to the Valley. Winchester is pushing their newest XP3 bullet and this is the Fail Safe replacement but I don't know when/if Winchester will produce these rounds in .338, we shall see. The Barnes bullets are becoming a favorite round and Nosler is also putting out a new no lead bullet as well as has already been poured over in this forum. I just love the performance and the looks of the Winchester Supreme line.

Thanks for the reply,
    John

Yeah, I searched high and low for the XP3s for the .338 (since they discontinued the Fail Safes in 338 they'd replenish them with their replacement....I was wrong).

Got some Ballistic tips too...but haven't shot them. Like I said, need to go make a "huge purchase" for a bunch of boxes as I hate when I find good ammo my gun likes....and then they quit making it.
    Know guns. Know peace. Know safety.

No guns: no peace. No safety!

Quote Originally Posted by Alaskan22 View Post
    Yeah, I searched high and low for the XP3s for the .338 (since they discontinued the Fail Safes in 338 they'd replenish them with their replacement....I was wrong).

Got some Ballistic tips too...but haven't shot them. Like I said, need to go make a "huge purchase" for a bunch of boxes as I hate when I find good ammo my gun likes....and then they quit making it.
    Can't understand why Winchester is not putting the XP3 out in all calibers myself. One thing I did notice is that the XP3 in .325WSM is about $60 for a box of 10! That kinda hurts my feelings. One thing about the no lead rounds (Hornady and Barnes) I have heard about is their excessive copper fowling issues but I can't speak from experience. Hope fully Winchester will get it together before spring and if not then at least make some Accubond CT's available locally in the 225gr weight. I can only hope!

Good luck!
    John

RECRE8R,
    Did my PM get to you?

I too have had great success with the Failsafe in 300WSM. Would be glad to buy some more (180 grain) if someone was selling.

I have one or two boxes of .338 Failsafes I would be willing to part with if somebody is handloading them and running short.

Quote Originally Posted by iofthetaiga View Post
    I have one or two boxes of .338 Failsafes I would be willing to part with if somebody is handloading them and running short.
    Tiaga,
    Sent you a PM about the rounds. Did you get it?

Got it. Reply sent.

Is this what you are looking for ?

Two, twenty round boxes. 338 Win Mag, 230gr Fail Safe, BLACK TALON, factory item # S338XA.
    http://www.gunbroker.com/Auction/Vie...Item=203699989

John,
    Did you find any extra 338 Fail Safe rounds. I do not reload, but would love to find a box of 230 gr. for moose.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Dennis

I think quite a few of us have 230 FS in blue Midway boxes. Find a buddy with a press and reload!

Quote Originally Posted by drherm View Post
    John,
    Did you find any extra 338 Fail Safe rounds. I do not reload, but would love to find a box of 230 gr. for moose.
    Any help would be appreciated.
    Dennis
    Dennis,

I managed to get a box of cartriges and a few boxes of bullets. I am still trying to find some help for the reloading part.

John
    Life is too important to be taken seriously.

Chinese proverb

Alaska