Thread: jigs/ bait

Default jigs/ bait

post some pictures of what your using for bait or lures for ice fishing

Bro's scud bug works good. Its a jig with a shrimp on it.

phobes tipped with shrimp
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

I don't have any pictures but here is a list of my favorites:
    for trout/kokanees
    Berkley powerbait atomic teaser white with yellow teaser has been my favorite color.
    A shrimpo from custom jigs and spins pink, orange or glow.
    A ratso from the same company and same colors.
    A ratfinkee same company same colors.
    A popee from custom jigs and spins glow with green or pink stripe.
    A slender spoon silver with a glow strip.
    A swedish pimple the small silver ones have beeen good with a red teaser.
    All are usually tipped with RAW shrimp.

For pike
    Airplane jig white or orange.
    cyclops spoon in varying colors.
    A crocodile spoon silver with silver reflective tape.
    A jigging Rapala in a silver or gold color.
    These can be tipped with a slice of herring fillet or powerbait minnow or leach.

These are not neccessarily in the order in witch I use them but they all work good.
    Maybe when I am off the slope I can post some pictures of my tackle boxes for ice fishing.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

Hey I didn't want to make a whole new thread to ask a line question. Is it ok to use braided line? Does color matter? How come I saw special ice fishing line at walmart? WHats the skinny cause my favorite reel has braided line or whatever they call its like spider wire or something?

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    Hey I didn't want to make a whole new thread to ask a line question. Is it ok to use braided line? Does color matter? How come I saw special ice fishing line at walmart? WHats the skinny cause my favorite reel has braided line or whatever they call its like spider wire or something?
    There is a difference between monofilament ment for summer use and that meant for winteruse.
    Icefishing line is more flexible in colder temps so your line does not have so much memory as it comes off of the spool.
    you should be fine with braid. You may want to consider putting a swivel at the end of your braid and adding a 12"-18" section of clear line as a leader. Not neccessary for pike but helpful for trout, Kokanees and such.
    Colored line is easier to see. When your line sticks to the ice as when you are unhooking a fish colored line is 10 times easier to see and unstick without damaging your line. Also some panfishermen like to be able to detect subtle bites by watching their line. Thats why some monofilament lines for icefishing are colored.
    Hope this helps.
    "The closer I get to nature the farther I am from idiots"

"Fishing and Hunting are only an addiction if you're trying to quit"

The ever popular Sweedish Pimple....
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by kasilofchrisn View Post
    There is a difference between monofilament ment for summer use and that meant for winteruse.
    Icefishing line is more flexible in colder temps so your line does not have so much memory as it comes off of the spool.
    you should be fine with braid. You may want to consider putting a swivel at the end of your braid and adding a 12"-18" section of clear line as a leader. Not neccessary for pike but helpful for trout, Kokanees and such.
    Colored line is easier to see. When your line sticks to the ice as when you are unhooking a fish colored line is 10 times easier to see and unstick without damaging your line. Also some panfishermen like to be able to detect subtle bites by watching their line. Thats why some monofilament lines for icefishing are colored.
    Hope this helps.
    Thank you Chris it does help. I'm going to use a small leader just because mono is much easier to make knots and change lures plus its less visible