Thread: Thumb Cove

Default Thumb Cove

Hey Guys,
    I have rented one of the Thumb Cove cabins outside of Seward for August 1. I will probably rent a kayak as well. Will the silvers be that far in by this time? I would also be interested in hearing about rockfish in there if there are any. I will be there with wife and infant, so probably won't be able to head out of the cove.

Any advice is appreciated.

Thanks.

Default Silvers

From my experience it is pretty slow still for silvers inside the bay. But if they come early you might it perfect. Good Luck. I will be trolling around in a 16' zodiac.

When the fish get in that far in the bay they usually spread out. You never know where they are. I do know when it gets to that time of the year you better fish deep. It will be hard with no sonar. good luck those cabin's are fun.

Default Thumb Cove

I was told by the man that owns the bait shop at the Seward boat ramp about various places to troll for silvers in the bay and I listened and took mental notes. He said that Thumb cove there is a 10 day window in August that it is easier to limit out and I thought it was like the 2nd week in August.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.

I think that time is a little early, you may be able to catch some pinks in there. and usually if you are around some rocks sticking out of the water or around a ledge, anywhere you will be able to catch rockfish, but they will be smaller around there. a lot of private anglers troll that area for salmon.

Default rockfish

We caught rockfish off that point (the one closest to Seward) accidentally at Thumb cove when jigging herring pieces for Silvers and one of us caught a nice sized one. It's pretty deep off that point if I remember right.
    Hike faster. I hear banjo music.