Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Ice house under way!

Default Ice house under way!

If you didn't know....Lowes has a 8x10 ice house kit for $429.78! There is some walking involved and you get to pick through lumber piles, but it is all there.

Anyway, that is what it cost me for my lumber package today. I'm building an 8x10 shanty that will have a sloped roof 6'6" at the high side dropping to 6'3" on the low side. It is a "4 holer" (a 22" opening in all 4 corners) and will have the entry door in the center of the high 10' side.

The floor is 2x4 joists (2' centers) set on two 4x4x12' skids. I made the skids longer than the building to possibly help with loading/manhandling. The walls will be 2x2 studs sheeted with 3/8" plywood. The roof will be 2x4 with 1/2" plywood and rolled roofing keeping things dry. The walls and ceiling will be insulated with 1" foil backed low density foam (blue board was too expensive!).

Ok, what looks like a potential problem? It will be pretty heavy and I am working on the logistics of getting it on and off my 2 place snowmachine trailer. I plan on putting in a couple of hinged shelves and probably a small plexiglass window or two. Am I missing anything??

I'll try to post some pics tomorrow.
    AKmud
    http://i78.photobucket.com/albums/j96/AKmud/213700RMK1-1.jpg

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Quote Originally Posted by AKmud View Post
    If you didn't know....Lowes has a 8x10 ice house kit for $429.78! There is some walking involved and you get to pick through lumber piles, but it is all there.

Anyway, that is what it cost me for my lumber package today. I'm building an 8x10 shanty that will have a sloped roof 6'6" at the high side dropping to 6'3" on the low side. It is a "4 holer" (a 22" opening in all 4 corners) and will have the entry door in the center of the high 10' side.

The floor is 2x4 joists (2' centers) set on two 4x4x12' skids. I made the skids longer than the building to possibly help with loading/manhandling. The walls will be 2x2 studs sheeted with 3/8" plywood. The roof will be 2x4 with 1/2" plywood and rolled roofing keeping things dry. The walls and ceiling will be insulated with 1" foil backed low density foam (blue board was too expensive!).

Ok, what looks like a potential problem? It will be pretty heavy and I am working on the logistics of getting it on and off my 2 place snowmachine trailer. I plan on putting in a couple of hinged shelves and probably a small plexiglass window or two. Am I missing anything??

To make loading easier make sure to use some UHMW on the bottom of the skids for it's slipperyness and mount a boat winch on the tongue or front of the trailer deck. I would buy a 2 speed winch so you can use the lower gearing if you need to.
    Make sure you post pictures of your progress.

BEER! Don't forget the BEER!!!!
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Ok, here are some pics -

Getting started by building the floor -

There are 22" holes in each corner of the floor -

AKmud

The porcupine is a peacful animal yet God still thought it necessary to give him quills....

Getting the 2x2 stud walls up -

One really big box....

AKmud

The front door -

When I turned out the lights tonight, I had the roof sheeting on as well. All that is left is to cut in a few small plexi-glass windows, insulate, build a door, trim the corners and put on the roll roofing. I'm thinking a couple of eye bolts in the skids as well as a spreader between them to keep them from pulling together when I winch it onto the trailer. Oh yeah...maybe a coat of paint!
    AKmud

How do you think it'll trailer at near highway speeds? Maybe engineer in (I know it's kinda late for ideas) a few robust tie down points/anchors....

You've been givin' 'er haven't you?
    Jeeesh, you'll be fishin' in 'er next week!!!

Akmud could I book the suite next to the promenade deck the first week of dec?

Nice Ice shanty bud!

Nice looking house, got to wonder tho why you went with the 22" holes? Just curious.

Nice looking shack, as for the 22'' id guess for the option to spear or be able to land moby dick!
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

The 22" holes are simply because that was what the joist spread allowed... No real reasoning behind it, it just worked out well for supporting the covers.

Hunt...I won't be setting any speed records while trailering this baby, but I will be placing some strategic tie down eye bolts for sure. It feels really solid though (maybe too solid.....).

Bush, the promenade is booked full already but we have a stateroom available at water level....
    AKmud

Bush, the promenade is booked full already but we have a stateroom available at water level....
    Pencil me in then. Oh and if I can I'd like to reserve a quart of that raspberry ale and may as well gimme a quart of the amber. Bro-in-law is quite a brewmaster

you will need something on the bottom of ur skids.

Quote Originally Posted by akdube View Post
    you will need something on the bottom of ur skids.
    Or one very big tow vehicle.

Don't forget to have at least one OPENING window. Preferably 2. on seperate sides. REFLECTIVE TAPE so others can see you and so that you can find it in the dark. Stuff blue board between the studs. Maybe luan inside or 1/4 inch OSB? Lots of hooks for helmets, jackets etc..... Outside bracket for auger. Outside bracket for cooler. Battery and 12 V lights or battery and inverter.

Be sure to glue your siding on to gain shear strength.

Great start!
    Mike
    I don't mean to sound bitter, cold, or cruel, but I am, so that's how it comes out.
    Bill Hicks

Ok, today I got it completely insulated, cut in a 12"x22" window, and got the door on. This thing is pretty heavy now so I'm re-thinking my "winch it on the trailer" idea and considering getting some camper jacks and mounting them on the corners. The jacks could easily lift it up the 16-20" needed to get my trailer under it. It may winch right up onto the trailer, but pushing it around in the garage is becoming pretty difficult, I can just imagine what it will be like on the ice!

I picked up a propane tank mounted infra-red heater today (13,000 btu) which should heat it up nicely. Before I insulated it, I covered the seams in the ply wood with duct tape to help with keeping any unwanted airflow down. I used the foil backed styrofoam so I don't think I will put anything on the walls inside other than some shelving and lots of hooks. I was also looking at some propane lights which would put off a lot of heat I'm sure.

All I have left to do is put the roofing on, put a hasp on the door, and maybe cut two more access holes in the floor (in the center) to mix things up a bit.

Dirt, Good idea about the reflective tape, I'll throw some on the corners when I get it painted.
    AKmud

propane lights throw 3000 btus each

Well, I think I can call it done!! Threw a coat of paint on 'er today, got a hasp on the door, a cover over the window and got the roof done. I think she is road worthy (if I can figure out how to get 'er on the trailer....). Tomorrow will be the road test. I still plan on putting some UHMW strips on the skids but that will have to wait till Monday when I can get the plastic.

Hopefully we will get some lake time soon. I'm still a little leary of driving my 8,000# truck out onto any ice yet.
    AKmud

Are you having problems with your camera?

Quote Originally Posted by LuJon View Post
    Are you having problems with your camera?
    As a matter of fact yes... It keeps forgetting to come with me to my dads house where this construction site is!! Tomorrow I'll get some pics.
    AKmud

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast