Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: sights/rests

Default sights/rests

i am wondering what kind of set up you guys use i orderd a z7 extreme about a week and a half ago and i am now shopping for the rest of my rig. i am looking at a ripcord or a wb but am open to all sugestions and sights i have no idea i was looking at a spothog sdp but while talking to the shop they said that they used the wrong pin many times and said get a 5 pin and set pins at 15yds they recomended a trueglo that has a micro adjustment knob on it i dont recall the name those of you who use dropaways have you used them in wet freezing conditions and do they stay reliable.

I just started using a Vaportrail Limbdriver on my Bowtech Allegiance, probably the best and simplest dropaway i've used. I've had goodluck with ripcords as well. Really liking the the limbdriver though, simple to setup and seems reliable, its driven by the limbs, not tied into your cables. Sure it would work fine in freezing temps but honestly cant answer that as I just got it. I'm using a Sword Twilight hunter 4 pin, tough sight, simple and affordable. I also have a truglo on my other bow and it works alright but dont seem as stout as this Sword sight.

Default Different strokes...and simplicity

These days, the reliability of many bowsight/rest products is high enough that maybe malfunction in the field isn't worth considering. And priorities differ for each of us, but for me there are good arguments for simplicity in the field. The fewer mechanical parts, the fewer things to malfunction.

Paul at Archer's Den set my bow up with this excellent rest and I've been completely satisfied with it: http://fuelthehunt.com/hostagepro.php

Design strengths/advantages:
    1. No moving parts.
    2. Still functions in wet, freezing conditions
    3. Quiet arrow mounting

Good luck.

Did you order you bow from North Pole Archery...if so Bill there will point you in the right direction.

Also Ive gone through a lot of rest Im allways looking for new or different types/styles. Ive tried the limb driver and it works fine. The only thing that I found is that with some bows it wont mount to the limd due to how big the attachment is and you have to mount it to the cable or you can get some bow string and wrap it around the limbs.

The one that I have now is the Trophy Ridge smack down works like the limb driver but insted of putting it on the top limb it hooks to the lower limb. Like the Mathews Down Force rest.

But it all depends on what you are looking for. Full containment rest work good for hunting and some peopl swear by them, but if you are wanting superior accuracy,
    go with some sort of dropaway because the least amount of contact you have arrow to rest thats less influence the rest can have on the arrows true flight path.

The only thing I can think when choosing a sight is to look at how good they gather light, because remember artificial light is not allowed in the state of Alaska.
    Ive shot Montana Black Gold sights,Copper John sights,True Glow, and a whole host of others but those are my top pics.

Good Luck on choosing your accesories.

i wanted to deal with bill but in his new small shop has no range so i went to king nocks but they dont seem to have much in the way of accesories i havent been to bills shop since it was in the go-cart building does he have a good amount of stuff in there. do you guys know what kind of speed loss there is between a wb or hostage pro vs. a limbdriver or ripcord the reason i lean to the ripcord is full containment and dropaway accuracy but thats just my thinking i have never shot a dropaway.

I was at Bill's today and he had quite a good selection. I wont deal with the other mentioned bow shop...A Few Bad Experiences...

As far speed loss with a full containment rest you will on average loose about 4-8 fps so not alot of speed but that is not what most are worried about, not that Im against full containment rest. Just from what Ive seen and experienced they are typicaly more difficult to get pin-point accurate.
    And if your like me I like to just as accurate as I can possibly be.

The less contact you have arrow to rest the better off you will be

Brad

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

Quote Originally Posted by akscotty View Post
    i am wondering what kind of set up you guys use i orderd a z7 extreme about a week and a half ago and i am now shopping for the rest of my rig. i am looking at a ripcord or a wb but am open to all sugestions and sights i have no idea i was looking at a spothog sdp but while talking to the shop they said that they used the wrong pin many times and said get a 5 pin and set pins at 15yds they recommended a trueglo that has a micro adjustment knob on it i don't recall the name those of you who use drop aways have you used them in wet freezing conditions and do they stay reliable.
    i have the Z7... you wont get a better drop away on it then the Mathews drop away... the spot hog.. 5 pin works... i am not sure how well i like it .. the sight has minimal adjustment left on it... at 15 yards.. my top pin is nearly in the top of the hood.. so my first pin is now 25 yard.. was out shooting mine today for a few.. and have not had any issues in the cold yet.. i run out to 85 yards on that sight with out any problem, and only about 1/4 inch between pins.

i have a trophtaker drop away on my Martin and it has worked to -40 with out issues also.
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Some interesting points about fall-away type rests in this thread.

For the Hostage Pro though, here's a pretty good review:
    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ge__Rest.shtml

I don't have the brushes adjusted snug like they are in the review, and so I have very little noise or drag during either draw or release.

Ditto Limbdriver.

Taylor

-[]--------->

I have the Trophy Taker Smackdown FC in for testing and it has been flawless. Another good one has been the NAP Apache. I have the Apache on my Hoyt now and really like it. I used the Smackdown when I tested the Z7 and it worked very well. They have a cool clamp that allows you to set the draw cord without splitting your string.

I've tried several sights and have really good luck with the FUSE and Apex. Trophy Taker does have a new sight coming that looks good.

www.outwriteoutdoors.com

I have become a huge fan of the Armortech 7 pin sights. I have one on my Z7 and getting one put on my new Elite Hunter. I tried the G5 that had fixed pins and the one floating pin and just did not like it. It is a rock solid sight, only downside is they only come in black, no camo.

Steve

thanks guys im still shopping sights i just got a rip cord yesterday it apears to be a fairly good rest only thing i dont like is the plastic containment bar but it is gona be a while until i get to try it i guss my bow is gona be another six weeks out so i wont see it until january.

Default Ripcord!

You'll like the ripcord. I have a black gold 5pin sight that has the fiber on top to catch light in low light but tints in high light so u don't get the blurry orb it's like 150 or less at sportsmans and I love it. My cousin has had both the sdp and black golds and said that they will Warren your black gold if it breaks and that the spot hog will just try to sell you on more expensive pieces when they break. Just what I've heard but that sold menon the black gold.

fishingyoda i think thats the one im going to get i went and looked at them yesterday and bill at north pole archery says its the brightest sight he has seen without the blue light guss he is getting some camo ones over the weekend so i will pick one up next week. have any of you guys used any of axions products thinking about getting one of there new stab's.

well i got it all figured out rip cord code red,black gold flash point,mathews arrow web, axion adj. stab now i just gota wait another month for my bow and look at arrows what do you guys shoot i only shot easton xx75 out of the old pse but i would like to go carbon on this bow the only thing i know is i want an arrow with very tight tollerances from what i have heard you want somthing like 0.001-o.002 but i know nothing about spine what do you guys think the bow will be 70lbs.

I shoot Victory Archery's VForce arrows. Tight tolerances, durable arrows and I shoot them out of my 70lb. Bowtech with a 350 spine. Check out the website: http://victoryarchery.com/VForce.aspx. I like mine, no complaints and have been shooting them for over a year.

Quote Originally Posted by 6XLeech View Post
    Some interesting points about fall-away type rests in this thread.

For the Hostage Pro though, here's a pretty good review:
    http://www.bowhunting.net/artman/pub...ge__Rest.shtml

I don't have the brushes adjusted snug like they are in the review, and so I have very little noise or drag during either draw or release.
    Even if you are not a fan of Cabelas, go check out the user reviews there on the Hostage rests. Not very good. Essentially, the bottom brushes wear out very quickly. I think Octane upgraded their bottom brush to be more stiff than the originals, but I have heard there are still some problems with them. I know Paul at Archer's Den likes them, and says he can get his bows adjusted properly so they don't wear the bottom brushes, but I have heard and seen many reviews that they wear out quick.
    Never count your days, but rather, make all of your days count.

Thanks, jmg. I do like Cabela's reviews, think they can provide helpful perspective on gear. I read all the 1-star comments - plenty of concerns about the brushes and adjustment. I haven't had those problems yet, but sure something to watch for.

It's tough to figure all the angles, whether rests or other gear. I shoot regularly, but haven't hunted my bow yet. Simplicity in the field though, has been my #1 priority and this design is at least that - simple. Thanks again.

Congratulations on your new gear, akscotty!

thank you guys for all the great info im more than ready to do some shooting now i just need mathews to get my bow to me. also i just picked up a summit golliath climbing tree stand so once it gets warm enough i will let you guys know how that works and with a little luck i should be shooting my first archery black bear with the new set up this spring.

well i got my bow in and got everything put on now im just waiting for my stab and arrows.014.jpg

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast