Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast

Thread: Lynx...???

Default Lynx...???

I would really like to get a Lynx this year... Where is a good spot around Anchorage... well... within 2 hours.

Rock

Where there are hares, there are lynx. Look for hare tracks and beds. If I only wanted to travel two hours from Anchortown, I would concentrate my efforts on the Glenn Hwy, from mile 91 to mile 120. Pay particularly close attention to the areas overlooking the moraine of the Matanuska River and right along Sheep Mountain, in the aluvial fan drainages.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

THERE ARE A lOT OF GUYS TRAPPING THAT! I'm not one but looked at the area. Plus lots of people running dogs for bunnies. With all that being said, there are bunnies and lots of cats.

OK...the age old 'friend of a friend told me 'bout'...well...a friend told me his friend just got one this week at the pullout at Long Lake, on the Glenn Hwy. He pulled in to take a Station Break and low and behold there it was. A Female. So hearing this, it might be a real good idea to scope that area out. Two years ago, I was in the area and found several good, likely spots along the new powerline they put in there, just south of the lake. At that time, there were quite a few hares back there. A short hike to the south of the lake will get you onto the powerline.
    "96% of all Internet Quotes are suspect and the remaining 4% are fiction."
    ~~Abraham Lincoln~~

Thumbs down

i think you should stick to giving advise on the TYPES of areas to find lynx, not just handing out some of the best areas.

Fairbanks most the time, Ancorage some of the time,& on the road Kicking Anti's all the time

seen a big fat tom at 3 mile Chena hot springs road the other day... stood on the shoulder a good 3-4 minutes before walking back into the trees
    "If you are on a continuous search to be offended, you will always find what you are looking for; even when it isn't there."

meet on face book here

Quote Originally Posted by Akres View Post
    At that time, there were quite a few hares back there. A short hike to the south of the lake will get you onto the powerline.
    I walked that very area yesterday while making one predator calling stand with a friend. It is being actively trapped. While it is public land and others have the right to trap it as well, it would be wise to find an area not being actively trapped.

Actually I see tons of game around Deshka landing all the time. Must have seen 30 bears, 10 lyxn 50 fox and 20 wolves within 10 minutes of the landing. If I was you I'd wander around the neighborhood with a mouth call, bound to trun something up!

Not so nice when I send the whole state hunting in your back yard is it Dennis. Perhapse the orinonal poster would be better served with some hints on what to look for instead of putting him on some on elses trap line. Maybe he would learn something like how to find his own hunting areas.
    BHA Member
    Bowyer to the forces of light in the land of the midnight sun.
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Rock as others have siad look for areas with lots of hares. In my limitted experiance they seem to like to hunt in drainages on south facing slopes and spend there nap time in or around large pine stands. I have found cats less likely to shy from unatural things in there setting, obvious traps, glare from a rifle etc than dogs but much harder to call. Guys like brian and many others have tons more experiance than I do so I pay atention to what they say. A word of caution stay off trap lines. It might be leagl to set up right next to someones cubby set but it is considered very bad form! I dont get too worked up about my little line but most have put in a ton of work on theres in some very nasty weather. Tempers have been unkown too get out of hand, especially when people are dog tiered and some yahoo is cutting into there income.

PS I mean "yahoo" colectively not you personally I dont know you and would not make such an assumption. Good luck I do hope you get your cat it is a major rush!
    BHA Member
    The 3 fold way: Every step we take as we walk through life effects, our family, our comunity and ourselves. One should walk thoughtfuly.

Good grief. You know, its frustrating seeing the amount of info that is just getting pasted on here. Just as I start getting out of the crowds, you guys step in, and post. New spots ruined.

Not to rag on the OP or anything, but you know, this state would be alot less crowded to hunt and easier to find spots if you left people alone to figure out how to do it by them selves. Most people wont drive or get out of the truck until you point them exactly where to go.

There is another thread going on that the guy was asking about lake louise. He said they drove just a few miles in and turned around with out trying. Then Everyone stepped right in and said, yep go there, lots of bunnies and predators.

Everyone has the right to get out and hunt, but I get out and hunt. Not get on the internet and ask where to go. I stopped and tried long lake. I didnt ask about it. Now I got to compete with anyone who sees this thread and is too lazy to try a different spot other than long lake.

I agree 100% guys....Believe me......I looked at my friend the other day and asked her these exact words

"What did we do before we had cell phones and internet".....

I can tell you what!

Got off our asses.
    "In the interest of protecting my privacy I will no longer be accepting Private Messages generated from this site and if you email me, it better be good!"

Just to let everyone know... I AM NOT looking to be around anyones traplines... I was looking for information like some people gave me.... ie. south slopes, timber, heres in the area... things like that... REALLY sorry if i stepped on anyones toes. Me and my buddy love to hunt... and be outdoors... I am sure that the place we are going is not close to others... I thought this was a fourm to come to and get information on... thanks... guess I will go out and do it myself... Can't wait to post pics to show you all how much help you have been.

This is hilarious....for the ones that provide advice...good for you..

For the ones that think everyone is going to be setting off your traps..snaging your game..come on guys..This is Alaska and HUGE..more trails and roads than any other state...even if you said long lake...there is a ton of wild areas up there. I dont think this guy ask for any specific location(GPS) just wanted a general area.

I know the internet and forums get out of control at times..but that is the age we live in..so we have to except it to a level.

I got out today and explored an area..walked for 3 miles and did not see a bunny...got off my ass and did it the hard way. I will not go to that area again...lol

If you bump into a trapline...do a 180 and leave the area. Respect the trapper.

Good luck Rock...PM me when you get one... I want to know where you got it...
    DH
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Quote Originally Posted by Duckhunter01 View Post
    This is Alaska and HUGE..more trails and roads than any other state...even if you said long lake...there is a ton of wild areas up there. I dont think this guy ask for any specific location(GPS) just wanted a general area.

DH
    Might wanna check the states on the amount of roads and trails in AK just about any other state. Our road system is extremely limited. While I don't personally agree with giving out specific locations it surely isn't illegal or wrong. I prefer to give info based on what type of terrain and sign to look for rather than a spot. Unless of course you just want to spoon feed them with a spot to keep them out of your spot since they are not interested in going out to find a spot to hunt of their own, in that case I think directing someone unwilling to find a spot to hunt of their own to a super crowded, game population sparse area is probably the best thing you can do.

Very well stated AL, I did mention trails..hoping that would cover me..lol

Just gets humerous on here at times.

Thanks
    DH

Quote Originally Posted by Alaska_Lanche View Post
    Might wanna check the states on the amount of roads and trails in AK just about any other state. Our road system is extremely limited. While I don't personally agree with giving out specific locations it surely isn't illegal or wrong. I prefer to give info based on what type of terrain and sign to look for rather than a spot. Unless of course you just want to spoon feed them with a spot to keep them out of your spot since they are not interested in going out to find a spot to hunt of their own, in that case I think directing someone unwilling to find a spot to hunt of their own to a super crowded, game population sparse area is probably the best thing you can do.
    President of Alaska Waterfowl Assoc.
    http://akwaterfowl.com
    https://www.facebook.com/pages/Alask...78020265619952
    AlaskaWaterfowlAssociation@gmail.com
    Gen.1:26
    And God said, let them have dominion over the fish of the sea, and over the fowl of the air, and over all the earth, and over every creeping thing that creepeth upon the earth.

Hey duckhunter01... the location I am going is where I duck hunt... and I did GREAT there this year... Would you like to know the area so you can hunt there next September... if anyone went to West Virgina or to South Carolina... I could tell them where to hunt white tail... Like in SC the deer travel where the scrub oaks meet up with the pines... that is the kind of info I was looking for... And thank you all for the good info... Where I am going to trap... I need a sled to get out there... so I hope/don't think I will run into anyone... and if I do... I will be turning around... Back home I hunt on private property and I HATE when people hunt on it without promission... So I would never hunt/trap other peoples locations

i know where to find lynx, ALASKA! just a little suggestion for anyone who wants to see lynx, get out and explore the country. try and find your own little valley/piece of heaven and hunt then try and not see any PEOPLE!(along the rode system) not very easy.

dont mean to get you guys all ruffed up(grouse humor!) but this is the base of my frustration.

Rock,
    You should have better luck this season than most, the Lynx numbers are still relatively high. I'm not going to get into an internet feud on who can share what information about where to hunt. If you want to get super serious about predator hunting up here, you'll want anywhere from 50 to 100 good spots to call in all directions. You need to be able to change plans based on weather, winds, and your schedule and amount of time you have for a given day or week. For lynx, like mentioned above, try to find stands of tall trees with sporadic clearings of willows and brush. Wherever the hares are living in high numbers, the lynx are likely to be close by. Here's a photo of a location where I called in two lynx at the same time. One came in from the left side of the photo and the other came in at about the 2 O'clock position where the dark spruce thins out to the clearing.

There are some missconceptions here. If you want to give up YOUR spot feel free, don't give a spot on the other side of the valley that you have no intention of hunting/trapping, SOMEONE ELSES spot. This state is huge? BS the road system is very limited and anywhere on it is crowded! You find an area by activly scouting it fine, there is room for all as long as we are respectful of one another. "you stumble into a line do a 180 no big deal" except you just ruined that section of the line for any dog activity for days if not weeks. The scent of a new human on a trap line can set the trapper back to day one. Callers might do well to remeber that.

Biggest thing everyone has missed is handing someone a spot dose nothing for there skill set. Teach a man to bla bla bla! Gose for trapping and hunting just like the rest of life.
    BHA Member

When it comes down to it, public land is for everyone. People are so worried about losing their spots but guess what it's public land. Oh no I crossed someones trap line and ruined it for a few day, oh wait it's public land. I try not to step on anyone personal public land but if I do then get over it. Their is room for everyone

Page 1 of 5 123 ... LastLast