Thread: Rod & Reel set up for Halibut and trolling

Default Rod & Reel set up for Halibut and trolling

Good afternoon.

I am looking into getting set up boat fishing for halibut and trolling for salmon this upcoming season.

What would you recommend for:
    1. halibut set up?
    2. trolling set up for salmon?

Thank you in advance for your time.

Regards,

yhc

Default rods and reels

You can spend a bunch of money on rods and reels. Newell makes a 440 reel with 3.6 gearing. They have a 5 year warranty and I think the Skipper from Crackerjack Charters has spoke well of them. He knows his stuff. You might have to order them from the states. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano etc. all make good halibut reels. Just make sure they will hold about 300 to 400 yards of 80 lb. spectra and have low gearing. Stay away from level winds on your halibut reels and you will have fewer problems. Lamiglass makes a good 5'6" halibut rod as do a bunch of other companies. A 8.5 ' Ugly Stick and a Abul 6500 C3 reel with 20 to 25 lb. mono will work for trolling and mooching in salt water and won't break the bank. I have some 2 speed Daiwa Lever Drag reels that we use in deep water or when the tide is ripping and were anchored and using heavy weights. I drift fish alot out of Seward and use a 6'6" G Loomis Bucara rod and 50 lb. spectra on a small lever drag reel most of the time for halibut and lingcod. I love jig fishing! If your rich google Accurate and Avet reels and buy them for halibut. They are sweeeet! Don't forget garage sales.

go to B&J and ask Jason to hook you up. I'd recomend a 8.5 foot fast action baitcaster for trolling
    I choose to fly fish, not because its easy, but because its hard.

Quote Originally Posted by ak_powder_monkey View Post
    go to B&J and ask Jason to hook you up. I'd recomend a 8.5 foot fast action baitcaster for trolling
    Second that. Tom closed the store for me when i told him I need to deck out my boat with gear. Never been treated so good like that day. Yeah they did get allot of my money, but it was worth it.

REMEMBER THIS!!!!!!!!
    When buying gear for your boat you have your gear and then your have your friends gear. Your halibut polls and equipment will take a beating so don't go out and but the most expensive thing. I bout a couple $30. polls that tom recomended and I love them. then I bought 2 lamiglass halibut rods for me. $99. Love how short they are. Great jigging rods. salmon rods I bought ugly sticks.

Halibut weights can brake yuor wallet. I don't know how many of them I lot this year. Good thing I make them. If you are going to fish allot for them this is something you may want to do. I go around and find buckets full of tire weight from gas stations and they give them to me. One bucket weighs about 130 pounds. That is allot of weights

PM me if your are going to head there. I have to stop buy and see what new for this year and stock up....
    Living the Alaskan Dream
    Gary Keller
    Anchorage, AK

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    Good afternoon.
    What would you recommend for:
    1. halibut set up?
    2. trolling set up for salmon?
    yhc
    I have five of the 5'6" Lamiglass rods, and I have used them for four seasons now. The glue on the reel seats gave up on two of them this year, and I lost an insert on one of the guides - cheap and easy fixes. These rods aren't bad, considering they only cost me $69 at the April sports show.

I have Penn 340 and 345 reels with 100# braid on all of them. They are level wind reels, and they are not without problems. I have to rebuild the level wind parts every year or two. Eventually, I will replace them with Avets. Need some used reels?

For salmon gear, I bought four of the intercast-style trolling rods two years ago. I REALLY like them. They stow neatly and have a nice action for trolling. There are no guides to get bent and dinged up. I am using the Shimano Triton trolling reels. They work really well for trolling and they're inexpensive. I have several of the Abu/Garcia 6500's and 6501's on my Loomis casting rods, but I don't like the push-button spool release for trolling. I like the release levers on the Shimanos better.

I use 80# braid on my salmon rods. I don't need line that strong, but I like the low-stretch of the braid, and the bigger diameter of the 80# line works better in the downrigger releases. My hook-up percentage has increased since switching from mono to the braided line.

I use penn 114h and shakespear tidewater rods for halibut, For salmon its hard to beat the old Ugly stick rods they are bullet proof especially if you have kids. I use penn 209 and Diawa sealine reels.
    I have to agree that B & J is a great place to get outfitted. I spent quite a bit of money outfitting my new boat last year and getting set up for halibut. They really know what they are selling. The prices are good too. I paid $129.00 for my Penn 114h s , the same price as wally world

For a halibut reel get an AVET. Thet are very tough and there performance is second to none. If you can afford it get the 2 speed pro EX 50/2, but if not the regular Pro EX 50/1. Both of these reels have 50 lbs of max drag and is super smooth (I also use Avet for Salmon SW model 5.1:1). With rods I think you have a lot of testing. I used to have my boat fitted with all G loomis, but didn't like them that much and switched to seeker. Love them and will never buy another brand. I have rods from 4'- 5'6''( and a variety of weights) depending on what I'm doing. Longer lighter rods for jigging butts ang lings. I use 80lbs tuff line and it's plenty strong enough for any size butt you will ever catch. Good luck with your search and you can buy all of that @ B.J.

For a halibut reel get an AVET. They are very tough and there performance is second to none. If you can afford it get the 2 speed pro EX 50/2, but if not the regular Pro EX 50/1. Both of these reels have 50 lbs of max drag and is super smooth (I also use Avet for Salmon SW model 5.1:1). With rods I think you have a lot of testing. I used to have my boat fitted with all G loomis, but didn't like them that much and switched to seeker. Love them and will never buy another brand. I have rods from 4'- 5'6''( and a variety of weights) depending on what I'm doing. Longer lighter rods for jigging butts ang lings. I use 80lbs tuff line and it's plenty strong enough for any size butt you will ever catch. Good luck with your search and you can buy all of that @ B.J.

Quote Originally Posted by .338 mag. View Post
    You can spend a bunch of money on rods and reels. Newell makes a 440 reel with 3.6 gearing. They have a 5 year warranty and I think the Skipper from Crackerjack Charters has spoke well of them. He knows his stuff. You might have to order them from the states. Penn, Daiwa, Shimano etc. all make good halibut reels. Just make sure they will hold about 300 to 400 yards of 80 lb. spectra and have low gearing. Stay away from level winds on your halibut reels and you will have fewer problems. Lamiglass makes a good 5'6" halibut rod as do a bunch of other companies. A 8.5 ' Ugly Stick and a Abul 6500 C3 reel with 20 to 25 lb. mono will work for trolling and mooching in salt water and won't break the bank. I have some 2 speed Daiwa Lever Drag reels that we use in deep water or when the tide is ripping and were anchored and using heavy weights. I drift fish alot out of Seward and use a 6'6" G Loomis Bucara rod and 50 lb. spectra on a small lever drag reel most of the time for halibut and lingcod. I love jig fishing! If your rich google Accurate and Avet reels and buy them for halibut. They are sweeeet! Don't forget garage sales.
    The only problem with lamaglasss is that thier waranty sucks (one year). My thing is when you buy nice stuff you only cry over the cost once, when you buy cheap stuff you keep crying over and over again. Also look at the fine print in the waranty, a lot of stuff isn't covered. Only seeker and Gloomis have an uncodtional one. Good luck again hope this help.

I have to agree with Fishface. Avet reels and Seeker rods are a great setup. The only problem is the cost especially when you are buying 4 to 6 of them. I could buy a radar for my boat for the difference in price. One thing, you could do is buy 1 for yourself and make everyone else use the cheeper setups. I would never get away with it but maybe you can.

Default Rod & Reel Setup

For light tackle halibut I would use the Shimano Trevala rod 6'6" (30 - 80lb braid). Light tackle with enough power to pull a 300 lber off the bottom. I also like the AVET or Shimano reels. For salmon I would go with the 8'6" Ugly Stick, or Lamiglass matched with a bait cast reel (Abu Garcia, Shimano,etc).

http://tackledirect.com/shimano-trevala-rods.html

I have some penn 114h for sale with 80lbs. tuff line one season on them. I just was looking through my fishing cabinet and found these reels. brand new they are $129.00 each with no line. if your interested email me.

Charterboat Operator

For salmon rods, take a look at Berkly South bend extra heavy rods. a $60 rod that works WELL. only inexpensive rod that you can pass the tip around past the butt section and not hear any cracking or popping noises.
    i know ugly's do this also but the action seems to be much better that that of the ugly.
    Diawa interline , my choice for butts, and again Tom @ B&J, can set you up w/ all

Default Compromise?

I have a f/u question on this.... Would you recommend going with ONE rod & reel set up that could work for both halibut and salmon trolling? Or would that be too much of a compromise to "tackle" either?

Regards,

yhc

Default Moose and ducks..

Quote Originally Posted by yhc View Post
    ONE rod & reel set up that could work for both halibut and salmon trolling?
    yhc
    They are 2 very different fisheries. You could use a willow stick and some line to catch a fish, but the size of your stick that works for trolling wouldn't hold up to a big but. A stick big enough to do the but would make for less action (fun) and feel for the salmon. Although, we were sitting on the halibut hole when a school of silvers swarmed the boat. Not one guy said anything about the rigs being too big as we mooched a boat load of cohos. One of my fav trips, silvers and halibut in one spot.
    I fish an Avet EX 40/2 on an Ugly Stick for halibut. I do not like the roller tip as the small diameter lines can walk out of the roller, but a great set up. I troll with a Penn 795 Int on a G Loomis. (I am new to trolling) Fantastic set up, no issues. When friends go out they get the old Penn Senators or the reels I got when Ketchum went out of business.
    I suggest the 80# line. I lost my favorite rod when I was trying to break 100# test and it was ripped out of my hand. $500 down the drink.
    Tom at B&J can set you up for about $200. Fishface is selling a good reel for the money. I used them for years and they are now my guest reels. Then pick up a rod you can afford and go for it. If you already have a salmon rod for rivers, just use that this year, it will do the job.
    Live life and love it
    Love life and live it

If you can afford it buy the Avet reel. We have a couple and they are in a class by themself. Simply wonderful to use. They run about $350 each. Rods, any short stand up rod works well. I second the vote to avoid the roller on the rod tip. It is to easy for the thinner braided lines to slide off the rollers and get caught.
    For trolling and mooching I choose the Daiwa Sealine reels with the built in line counters. A nice stiff trolling rod about 8 feet long is perfect.
    Tennessee