Thread: Ken, Talk Me Into a Colt 1911!

Default Ken, Talk Me Into a Colt 1911!

What are the virtues of a Colt over other 1911 platforms - I've got no dogs in the fight on this one - just looking at all the different manufacturers of 1911's and weeding through pros and cons of makers.

My name isn't Ken, but this one is easy: it's a Colt. About the only thing I'd do to a stainless National Match say (when I can afford two), would be to smooth up the overall action. Then I'd carry it with me everywhere.
    Great spirits have always found violent opposition from mediocre minds. The latter cannot understand it when a man does not thoughtlessly submit to hereditary prejudices but honestly and courageously uses his intelligence. Albert Einstein

Better living through chemistry (I'm a chemist)

You can piddle with the puppies, or run with the wolves...

Get a Glock. No polishing or tuning required. You can carry it anywhere right out of the box.

(p.s. Colt makes GREAT guns! Why? Because they have rigid standards for all the parts they buy to put them together.)
    Winter is Coming...

Go GeocacheAlaska!

Looked at some Colts today and liked what I saw for the most part. They don't come cheap but I'm hoping that's due to quality parts/workmanship vs. the brand name on the slide. I had my eye on a Springfield too just to muddy the water. I agree that most polymer guns work right out of the box and are reliable and adequately accurate. Never hurts to look. Thanks for the responses.

As far as I am concerned 1911's have the best trigger of any defensive/combat handgun ever made. (assuming you spend the $$ to get a good one.) Glock or other striker triggers cannot compare to the clean break of a tuned 1911 trigger. I have owned several colt 1911's and my latest is a series 80 combat commander. I bought it used, but it is less than 18 months out of the factory. The fit and finish is excellent. I would not hesitate to recommend a Colt to anyone. You are buying quality, as well as a legacy. Kimber cannot offer you the warm and fuzzy you get from a Colt. Also, if you end up sending your 1911 in to Novak, Cylinder and Slide, Bill Wilson, or any other place to get customized and tuned, would you rather have Colt on the slide of your $2000 custom carry piece, or some other name?

I would go with a Colt, and then get it customized and tuned to your taste later on.

My colt gold cup trophy shoots better groups than my wilson cqb. The models with national match barrels(rail gun, combat elite, gold cup, special combat goverment, etc) shoot like laser beams. I have 11 colt 1911s. I have never had any trouble with any of them. Quality makes a colt.

Good to know Seant. That's a pretty good track record!

Not yet owned a Colt I am sad to say. I can tell you Kimber makes some fine 1911's. Kimber Pro Carry CDP II I have is accurate, reliable, easy to carry. After doing a little de-miming of some parts with quality replacements from Ed Brown and Wilson, I am happy with it and think of it as a poor boys custom 1911. I would also advise anyone looking at the 1911 platform to look at the Sig. I have a full sized Blackwater edition and it comes out of the box ready for combat. They supposedly use all top quality internals from some of the best? Mine is far more accurate than I could ever shoot and has never had a hiccup with any reload or factory fodder I feed it. I hear the same things about Dan Wesson 1911's but have never owned one. They supposedly use all Ed Brown internals and can be had for just over the 1K mark. Last, I really like the S&W 1911's. I have a full sized with the scandium alloy frame and the weight is amazing, very accurate, and also reliable with never a problem. Now days, there are so many good 1911's right out of the box and mine have proven themselves every bit as reliable, accurate as any Glock I have owned. They can be customized to suit any taste, have proven themselves for 100 years of service, and are a pure joy to own, carry, and shoot! I don't think you could go wrong with a Colt 1911.

I picked up this Combat Commander NIB about two months ago. I love it, but if I had to choose just one gun to trust my life with, I'd take any of my HK's before I'd even consider picking up a 1911 (be it a Colt or any other brand). But to each his own...

Quote Originally Posted by 377PFA View Post
    What are the virtues of a Colt over other 1911 platforms - I've got no dogs in the fight on this one - just looking at all the different manufacturers of 1911's and weeding through pros and cons of makers.

OK easy...compated to the "clones" in whole or in part

1. It is a TRUE 1911 internal extractor
    2. It is made in the USA
    3. Lowest number of MIM parts
    4. Best service department (when rarely it is need)
    5. Made from forgings, not castings.
    5. Better priced than some, and reasonably priced compared to others
    6. You have a "special source"

I shot my Combat Elite again yesterday. Cold. Oil starting to dry out. Its getting dirtier than a Chicago Politician in an Italian Restraunt. 50 rounds chug chug chug. Now up to 550 rounds with one burp which was me, and always one ragged hole.

OK easy...compated to the "clones" in whole or in part

1. It is a TRUE 1911 internal extractor
    While I do like this feature, most important thing is that the extractor works flawlessly. I think Sig and S&W got their external extractors right while Kimbers attempt failed miserably.
    2. It is made in the USA
    Very important feature for me! Never owned a Springfield and not dissing them, but figure I will drop my money on a 1911 made here and not Brazil. Just my preference.
    3. Lowest number of MIM parts.
    I would like to hear more info on this concerning Colt. MIM parts are OK, but I would opt not to have them. Spent money replacing MIM parts on Kimber and S&W and both triggers are greatly improved.
    4. Best service department (when rarely it is need)
    5. Made from forgings, not castings.
    5. Better priced than some, and reasonably priced compared to others
    6. You have a "special source"
    Seen your blowout sale after elections! Wish I could have added a Pony or 2 to my stable! I have handled a few of the newer Colts and shot some older ones. There's nothing not to like about them! Thanks for the good info.

Started with a Glock 21. Worked great. Big blocky gun, big blocky magazines. Tough to conceal comfortably. No manual safety.

Sold it.

Bought a stainless Colt series 80 (M1991). Slim gun, slim magazines, manual safety. Very reliable. Ergonomics are awesome. Bought a Springfield GI. Not as reliable out of the box. Not as good fit and finish. SA tweaked her. Now she's very reliable. I like her. She's Brazilian. I prefer American. Bought a Colt stainless Series 70. No FPS. Yihaaaaaa! Great gun. Can't go wrong with a 1911. IMO Colt builds 'em the way they were meant to be built. Not too tight, not too loose. Try it, you will like it!

There has been much insinuation on here that Kimber uses castings for their slides. Not to argue any other virtues of a Colt vs. Kimber, but Kimber does machine their slides and frames from solid bar stock, according to them. They also make all their own parts, though some of them are MIM.
    "Everything that lives and moves will be food for you. Just as I gave you the green plants, I now give you everything."

Quote Originally Posted by sthrcave View Post
    As far as I am concerned 1911's have the best trigger of any defensive/combat handgun ever made.
    It'd be hard to argue that point, but is the super crisp 3 pound trigger that breaks like glass going to really matter in a real live fire-fight? Likely not I'd guess.....

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post
    Started with a Glock 21. Worked great. Big blocky gun, big blocky magazines. Tough to conceal comfortably. No manual safety.
    I'd venture to say not very many try to go deep concealment with a double stack .45...just sayin...

No manual safety? Is that such a big deal? I think what you're used to becomes what your brain thinks is 'normal'. If I picked up nothing but 1911's and trained with it and not my Glocks, I'd likely say the same thing...

They also make all their own parts, though some of them are MIM.
    Sights, slide stop, sear, disconnector, safeties, bushing IIRC

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    I'd venture to say not very many try to go deep concealment with a double stack .45...just sayin...

No manual safety? Is that such a big deal? I think what you're used to becomes what your brain thinks is 'normal'. If I picked up nothing but 1911's and trained with it and not my Glocks, I'd likely say the same thing...
    Yes but my service sidearms are what I carry in an IWB holster. The Glock 21 didn't work for me in that regard. The 1911 carries beautifully this way.

As far as manual safeties, they are important to me. I did not feel particularly comfortable reholstering when taking Mas Ayoob's "Stressfire" course a few years back. Also, in the unlikely event of having someone getting hold of my weapon, the manual safety may give me the critical few seconds I need to take emergency action. So manual safeties have become required on my semi-auto sidearms.

Quote Originally Posted by RGL01 View Post

As far as manual safeties, they are important to me. I did not feel particularly comfortable reholstering when taking Mas Ayoob's "Stressfire" course a few years back. Also, in the unlikely event of having someone getting hold of my weapon, the manual safety may give me the critical few seconds I need to take emergency action. So manual safeties have become required on my semi-auto sidearms.
    I haven't had the fortune to take a class from Mas, but I'm sure it was enlightening. Good points...well taken...

Back when I lived on Long Island NY, Mas had his Lethal Force Institute just 5 hours or so north of me in Concorde (or as my Boston friend corrected me, "CON-cud") New Hampshire. Yes, the course was a pleasure, and I've always taken Mas' advice to heart. He's a man of sound judgement, and well thought out ideas concerning self defense.

Quote Originally Posted by hunt_ak View Post
    It'd be hard to argue that point, but is the super crisp 3 pound trigger that breaks like glass going to really matter in a real live fire-fight? Likely not I'd guess.....

Gotta agree with you on the safety, and maybe go a bit farther and say I'd prefer the striker system of a Glock over a hammer back 1911 system anyday. Regardless of what safety or trigger system you carry, if you've got the trigger time behind the setup it'll perform just fine for you if the time comes.
    Do something brave today... then run like hell
    ~~~~~~~
    The ideas of tomorrow are fashioned by those who challenge the ideas of today.