Thread: New Blocks!

Default New Blocks!

I decided to start making my own decoys, carved from foam and then burlapped. heres a few pics of them finished, still have plenty to carve and a long winter. cant wait to see them work next year.
    003.jpg
    005.jpg
    -Tight Lines & head shakin

Nice work Fusion.....a great way to stay busy! How many do you plan on building?

thanks. atleast a couple dozen

those look pretty good. how do you carve the styrofoam, regular x-acto knife or a heated something or other or???
    If you board the wrong train, it is no use running along the corridor in the other direction.
    Dietrich Bonhoeffer

i use a dremel.

Nice work. Those look awesome!! When are you going to get out there and shoot some birds over them?

I have to admit I'm intrigued. I've burlap wrapped some of my old Herter's 72 foam dekes, but I'd like to hear more on your project when you have the time. What foam are you starting with? What are you doing for the anchor/eye? Adding any sort of keel or weight on the bottom? Not that I need another hobby, but still...

Again, very cool.
    Pursue happiness with diligence.

wyo2ak- Its the blue foam from lowes 2'' x 24'' x 8', as for a keel yes im gonna add it to them, all you do is cut about a 1/2 in. slot in the bottom use a 2 x 4 of some sort most likely oak being its hard, by using gorrila glue to attach decoy to keel, seal the wood add line and hit the water. being i dont have a boat i havent been out but once with alaska gray. im hoping to do more next year, but the main reason im building these is for back home whan i get out of the military. Or hopefully some one will like my deeks and invite me on a hunt to try them out. if you have any questions or want to meet up and make one let me know im no expert but kinda get you started. those are the first ones ive every made. oh yeah paint is all acrylics.

Those look great! I hope I get to go out with you some time and see hoe they hold up. Do you want me to take them to Cordova with me? I will test them out for you
    I have such a hard time trying to decide which outdoor activity to do every chance I get!! Living in AK is a mental challenge

looks great dude

Use synthetic wood/composite railing for the keels. It'll never go bad and is more durable.