Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast

Thread: Arctic Cat Owners (4 wheelers)

Default Arctic Cat Owners (4 wheelers)

Just wondering how you like your wheelers, pros/cons. Looking at going either a/c or Suzuki. My mind may change in the next 4 months, but this is where I am leaning.

And has anyone dealt with Arctic Motor Sports? How is the customer service. Looks like they have a few new late year models still hanging around and would drive the distance if they are decent/friendly folks.

TIA

Nate

I have a '06 700 and I like it very much. It is heavier than some others but it is solid built and has great power and ground clearance. The axles and drive components are beefy which is a good thing when you need to rely on it to get you home.

I bought my wife the TRV 550 GT, (2 seater model). She doesn't have many miles on it yet, but so far it's faired well.

I love her dearly, but shes not the most mechanically inclined person. Her stuff gets put to the test.

Talking

We have owned Arctic four wheelers since they first came out with the 454. We currently have two 500's and like them very much. There has been little maintenance done on them other then the normal oil changes and cleaning the air fliters.

I've owned 2. Had a 454 years ago and currently own a 400. I bought a second one, so I guess that says something for them. My main hunting partner used to ride a Polaris 500. Now he has a Rubicon. Neither one of those machines has been able to out-perform mine. The Polaris seemed to overheat pretty easy and went through belts (although that was likely just the way my friend rides), and the Honda doesn't ride nearly as nice as mine. I'll probably buy a 550 next spring. I'd recommend Arctic Cat to anyone.
    We are right to take alarm at the first experiment upon our liberties.
    James Madison

I'm pretty sure AC's have suzuki motors so you may as well just go suzuki. My son has two '08 AC's a 700EFI that always has a dead battery when its cold and its gear box is noisy but he likes it. His wife has a 400 which is a sweet utility machine that starts right up. They did have problems w/ the shift linkage though. I still roll w/ my 99' kingQuad the grand daddy of 4-wheel independent suspension. I'm getting one of the new model kingquads myself

If the ACs has electronics odometer and you leave it sit you will drain the battery. Unless they fix the problem, if not you have to add a battery switch.

I currently have an 06 AC, but previously had a 00 Suzuki they are both 500's The suzuki was tough as nails, went everywhere, was light, and lower geared than the AC. The AC has better clearance, and since it has IRS, it's much more comfortable, (same motor on both), AC now makes all of their own motors, they no longer use the ultra dependable suzuki 500. The new Suzuki's don't sit up as high, and they cost a little more, but if I was going to buy brand new, I'd get the suzuki, as the best all around machine... If all you are going to do is rock crawl or go muddin, get the AC. Course I own a Yamaha also, and they are great machines, and my ultimate machine would be the sportsman 6x6, so as you can see I am not brand loyal, they all are great depending on what your purpose will be.

I am on my second winter with my AC 500 and love it so far. The battery drain can be a PITA if not used once every week or two. My only regret in the machine I got was that I did got the carb version and not EFI...there are pluses and minus for both, but overall I would have liked the EFI. I would buy another AC :-)
    "...and then Jack chopped down the beanstock, adding murder and ecological vandalism to the theft, enticement and vandalism charges already mentioned, but he got away with it and lived happily ever after without so much as a guilty twinge about what he had done. Which proves that you can be excused just about anything if you're a hero, because no one asks the inconvenient questions." Terry Pratchett's The Hogfather

We now have four. An two '06 500 Autos, an '06 400 shifter, and an '07 400 TRV auto. They have all been relatively trouble free. The battery drain that Rutting Moose mentioned is not an issue if you simply change the battery to a better unit that I buy at Batteries Plus. My machines now sit for months in the winter outdoors and will start up with no problems. I would also buy another AC without a moments hesitation if I needed one.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by fullbush View Post
    I'm pretty sure AC's have suzuki motors so you may as well just go suzuki. My son has two '08 AC's a 700EFI that always has a dead battery when its cold and its gear box is noisy but he likes it. His wife has a 400 which is a sweet utility machine that starts right up. They did have problems w/ the shift linkage though. I still roll w/ my 99' kingQuad the grand daddy of 4-wheel independent suspension. I'm getting one of the new model kingquads myself

I don't think they have used Suzuki motors for some time now. I've got nothing against Suzuki but I choose Arctic Cat because they out perform everyone I ride with. Seems I'm always waiting on everyone to catch up... Plus I like they build them in MN. and all the options work for what I do.
    "If your not the lead dog.... the view never changes"

Thanks for all the responses!!! Leave in 6 days and will have plenty of time(4 months) to think about what to get.

I ride the mid-sized machines because of the greater fuel economy. The new 550 EFI completely kills the old 500 in power and speed. It still gets great mileage. I'd spring for power steering too. It's amazing how much it reduces rider fatigue on gnarly trails with mud tires.
    Bunny Boots and Bearcats: Utility Sled Mayhem

Quote Originally Posted by AKDoug View Post
    I ride the mid-sized machines because of the greater fuel economy. The new 550 EFI completely kills the old 500 in power and speed. It still gets great mileage. I'd spring for power steering too. It's amazing how much it reduces rider fatigue on gnarly trails with mud tires.

Couldn't agree more about EFI. I sure wish I had it. I've got an old (2000) AC 500 with manual choke and never have problems with it but my AC TBX (2005) has an auto choke that dosn't work for sh-t! Never has worked never will work. They are just a terrible design.

threads are bad with no pictures so i will add one to show we like ours actually have 3 07 650 trv's

I'd show pics of mine, but upside down in a creek is no way to be remembered.. anyone need a riding partner...

The wifey loves her 500 a little longer and wider shure helps keep the four feet on the ground
    Iam running the tiers a little soft and the springs turnd down some to make it a softer ride
    When we go riding We like to stop ever 5 miles or so and take a break to enjoy the day
    We git up15 mph is fast for us Its all for fun, safety and pure enjoyment

Just rec'd free from my in-laws a non-running '03 400i 4x4 automatic (constant speed...?) that has 90 miles on it.

It's just sat in their garage and he didn't use sta-bil.

It's clean and looks new. Got it running the other day, but doesn't idle on it's own. Cooling fan doesn't seem to ever come on.
    KRS

I sold my 2000 AC 500 last summer, but I wish I hadn't. It was a beefy devil and never let me down. Just needed money at the time and it sold in the first hour on Craigs list. Funny part is, while the first buyer was trying to haggle me down, another guy called me and told me he'd give me $200 more than I was asking if I'd blow them off. I couldn't do that of course, but some people must like those cats to do that kind of offer site unseen.............lol
    I can do the impossible right away. Be patient, miracles take me a bit longer.

Quote Originally Posted by GrizzlyH View Post
    I sold my 2000 AC 500 last summer, but I wish I hadn't. It was a beefy devil and never let me down. Just needed money at the time and it sold in the first hour on Craigs list. Funny part is, while the first buyer was trying to haggle me down, another guy called me and told me he'd give me $200 more than I was asking if I'd blow them off. I couldn't do that of course, but some people must like those cats to do that kind of offer site unseen.............lol
    I have that one as well as my back-up, I can't sell it because it's tough as nails and still starts and runs better than any I've had. (note, I've never had an EFI wheeler yet but will next time) It's an absolute battle tested tank IMO.

Page 1 of 2 12 LastLast